Looking for advice on PC for Folding @ Home

I have been folding at home on my rather old iBuyPower gaming PC that I also still use for work. However, it's not going very fast, and I would like to increase my folding power, plus I am also due for upgrading my work computer. I'm not very knowledgeable about computer hardware, so I was wondering if I could get some pointers here.

1) What would be a good desktop PC I can buy new that I could use for my regular work (some minor video editing and Photoshop involved, but nothing major), but would also be good for folding in the background? Looking at prices up to around $1300.

2) How can I optimize my old PC for folding? I'd like to just run it 24/7 for only folding. The current specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB    
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560    

Gaming graphics: 9975 MB Total available graphics memory    

System type 64-bit operating system 
Number of processor cores: 4 

Is there a graphics card that is under around $400 that I could replace the old one with that would significantly increase the folding capacities?

Thanks!

I would not advise attempting an upgrade right now due to the silicon shortage and mining boom.

Normally you'd be able to get a GPU for that price that is a beast in comparison, but right now everything is majorly overpriced.  A GTX 1050 Ti currently costs what I paid for a 1070 Ti in 2017.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I would not advise attempting an upgrade right now due to the silicon shortage and mining boom.

Normally you'd be able to get a GPU for that price that is a beast in comparison, but right now everything is majorly overpriced.  A GTX 1050 Ti currently costs what I paid for a 1070 Ti in 2017.

Thanks for your reply!

Would you have any recommendations for a new computer when it comes to folding?

And if I could get a cheapish used GTX 1070, do you think it may be worth it to use that as an upgrade in my old computer?

6 minutes ago, KryptoJoJo said:

Thanks for your reply!

Would you have any recommendations for a new computer when it comes to folding?

And if I could get a cheapish used GTX 1070, do you think it may be worth it to use that as an upgrade in my old computer?

As long as you leave at least one CPU core free to service the GPU, and as long as your PSU is up to the task, it should be fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7