Black screen after BIOS update , hangs on CPU

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Looks like MSI's got a bug in that BIOS, someone else reports that their 3600 didn't work with that "latest non-beta" either, but the latest (beta) is OK:

Wouldn't make sense to remove support for 3xxx, usually if mobo manufacturers have to remove something becasue of not enough room they remove ryzen 1. 

Since that board doesn't seem to support flashing without CPU I guess at this point you need to either borrow another CPU that will work with that BIOS (no idea what given the issue...), find someone who can reflash the BIOS with an external programmer, or go through MSI's support...

This is the mobo

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR#down-driver&Win10 64

Installed this version :  7A37v1K

which was released after my previous version  (7A37v1E) so it should support the CPU.

Tried resetting CMOS, still stuck on CPU, I'll try again but if that doesnt work I dont know...?

Also there was no outage whatsoever, BIOS seemed to install  fine, rebooted automatically and nothing since then.

Specs: Ryzen 3600 , RTX 3070, 16GB Corsair Venegance, RMi 650

Any ideas how I can fix this, or is that it? lol 

Edit: ok so I removed the battery for 25 minutes, still stuck on "CPU"

20210516_204926.thumb.jpg.3de7da724cbe77f3ad72bbe6115b98fd.jpg

CPU power etc is connected, all fans spin

20210516_205150.thumb.jpg.b4e74ef33c36d7b0907387e6e8348ebc.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Looks like MSI's got a bug in that BIOS, someone else reports that their 3600 didn't work with that "latest non-beta" either, but the latest (beta) is OK:

Wouldn't make sense to remove support for 3xxx, usually if mobo manufacturers have to remove something becasue of not enough room they remove ryzen 1. 

Since that board doesn't seem to support flashing without CPU I guess at this point you need to either borrow another CPU that will work with that BIOS (no idea what given the issue...), find someone who can reflash the BIOS with an external programmer, or go through MSI's support...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Oh god, I see thats messed up. Thanks for the info though ,and i actually tried looking this up before installing and i just found people this BIOS worked for, so I guess older CPUs might still be supprted, I have a 2200G I can try, what a pain though, oh well. Otherwise I guess i have to contact MSI.

Its really bafflng MSI has this BIOS still up for download - as the latest none beta - and no warnings or anything either. 👀

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Since that board doesn't seem to support flashing without CPU I guess at this point you need to either borrow another CPU that will work with that BIOS (no idea what given the issue...)

20210517_025133.thumb.jpg.f4ef2e4a7176f9626f7a2ae1141b2c1b.jpg

Back in business!

Its kinda funny it shows me my old OC profiles(im guessing) and the Bios is in *color* with the 3600 everything has been black and white lol.

So now I only can flash latest BIOS and hope that works, and then change the CPU and everything again? Oof.

Im not actually mad, but Im really mad at MSI right now, waste of MX4 and my time xD

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok, so I Installed the latest beta and installed my 3600 again and it worked!  So that was exactly the right solution @Kilrah thanks again 🙂

And, I actually almost ran out of thermal paste... as that surely wasnt planned for lol. >.>

On the bright side its actually super easy to remove and install the noctua  cooler once the brackets are installed , only 2 screws vs 4 for the stock cooler 😮

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

On the bright side its actually super easy to remove and install the noctua  cooler once the brackets are installed , only 2 screws vs 4 for the stock cooler 😮

Eh, Linus doesn't praise Noctua's mounting system everytime he can for no reason 🙂 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2