Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which programming language should i start with as a 15 year old?

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, God forbid a 15 year old who has never programmed anything doesn't know what .NET is... maybe chill?

9 minutes ago, memz said:

my uncle was telling me to start with python but i dont know if it'll take me anywhere in the future as there will be many other python programmers to compete with聽

Never think like this. Think of it as learning how to program, not learning a specific language. If you get your driver's license on a Honda Civic you're equally capable of driving a Jeep with a little practice - it's the same with programming. If you get good at it it won't matter what language you need to use. There's really no such thing as a programmer who only writes Python, though one may choose to specialize and get more experience writing in that language.

Python is a good language to start with because it removes a lot of obstacles and lets you focus on what you want the code to do. I suggest you worry less about what language to start with and more about actually starting 馃槈

I've recently got into programming using HTML聽and CSS. But now I've decide to take this seriously so I聽want to either learn JavaScript or Python i want to do both game development and web development ( im more interested in games though) so I'm need help and some advice.

5 minutes ago, memz said:

I've recently got into programming using HTML聽and CSS. But now I've decide to take this seriously so I聽want to either learn JavaScript or Python i want to do both game development and web development ( im more interested in games though) so I'm need help and some advice.

C. Either it will leave you stronger with a good grip over data structures or you become so horrified by programming that you quit and become a doctor/lawyer.

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

C

?

Python has an easy learning curve and lots of developers use it.聽 There are good on line resources and you can down load and run Python for free.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;聽 Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

1 minute ago, memz said:

?

For most serious/professional game development you'll still want to go for C or C++. But as a beginner you probably want to stick to a language that is easier to pick up.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Alan G said:

Python has an easy learning curve and lots of developers use it.聽 There are good on line resources and you can down load and run Python for free.

A lot of people hate python. Use C, like real men

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

yeah my maths limits my knowledge with python apparently as its not my strongest subject

1 minute ago, memz said:

?

The C Programming language to be precise. Since you want to develop games, learning games will make C++ really easy to use. Once you learn C++, either use Unreal engine or learn DX or vulkan. If you learnt the graphics API, then you would be able to write your own game engine and maybe even become Carmack 2.0.

Just now, memz said:

yeah my maths limits my knowledge with python apparently as its not my strongest subject

While Python is used frequently for scientific applications, it is not strictly a scientific language. You can learn Python with limited math skills

1 minute ago, memz said:

Hohohoho! No maths = No game developement. Study maths first. It will be very IMPORTANT(Unless you want to become a worthless database/sysadmin people)

Hohohoho! No maths = No game developement. Study maths first. It will be very IMPORTANT(Unless you want to become a worthless database/sysadmin people)

馃槥

12 minutes ago, memz said:

Also non web backend development != Programming

so if my maths isnt very good web development is the way to go?

1 minute ago, memz said:

馃槥

Maths is actually quite nice. You just need to practice it.

its just hurts my head its wayy to stressful聽

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

and my grades with it isnt too great

I started off with C++ programming and honestly that seems like the best place to start from my extremely biased point of view. C++ sets the standard for a lot of programming language basics without being far too complex. It also has one of the best textbooks C++ Primer Plus聽which is by far the best textbook with regards to programming I've ever read.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress聽

Build Log here:聽http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

1 minute ago, CJPowell27 said:

I started off with C++ programming and honestly that seems like the best place to start from my extremely biased point of view. C++ sets the standard for a lot of programming language basics without being far too complex. It also has one of the best textbooks C++ Primer Plus聽which is by far the best textbook with regards to programming I've ever read.

my uncle was telling me to start with python but i dont know if it'll take me anywhere in the future as there will be many other python programmers to compete with聽

7 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Lol I am not surprised that I didn't have to scroll far to see a comment like this.聽

It really depends on what you're interested in. If you want to learn the聽basics of web stack development then you're on the right track with HTML and CSS, but those alone aren't what I'd consider a real programing language.聽

If you want the true basics then start with javascript and you'll immediately be able to tie into the HTML and CSS stuff you're learning (this is what I would suggest for now). Then you'd open yourself up to the world of something more modern like TypeScript and allow you to venture into some cool stuff with React and Cordova.

If you want something more self contained, its never a bad option to jump into the .NET world and start coding with C#. Its not as sexy as what all the cool kids are doing today, but many companies are using and will continue to use .NET.聽

3 minutes ago, memz said:

its just hurts my head its wayy to stressful聽

Do something easy. Study the basics first and then go ahead. Relearn the topics in which you had problem.聽In my experience with game developement(I interned at activision), it was much more important to apply the basic stuff, such as what the trignometric ratios meant, than really complicated models.聽

1 minute ago, Raid Owl said:

Lol I am not surprised that I didn't have to scroll far to see a comment like this.聽

It really depends on what you're interested in. If you want to learn the聽basics of web stack development then you're on the right track with HTML and CSS, but those alone aren't what I'd consider a real programing language.聽

If you want the true basics then start with javascript and you'll immediately be able to tie into the HTML and CSS stuff you're learning (this is what I would suggest for now). Then you'd open yourself up to the world of something more modern like TypeScript and allow you to venture into some cool stuff with React and Cordova.

If you want something more self contained, its never a bad option to jump into the .NET world and start coding with C#. Its not as sexy as what all the cool kids are doing today, but many companies are using and will continue to use .NET.聽

whats .net?

2 minutes ago, Raid Owl said:

Bruh I have a job writing Java and C and C++. Please don't lecture me on sexy stuff.

2 minutes ago, memz said:

whats .net?

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.net is basically the shiz in which windows stuff is made AND on which nearly every enterprise program codes for. .NET is the boringest shit ever, bar聽C or the two dozen fortran programmers in the world