Winlogon.exe/RuntimeBroker.exe Causing Shutdowns

Over 3 weeks ago, my PC that has been built and working fine for almost 3 years now started shutting down and starting up by itself.

This started one night after being shut down as I was about to sleep. That day it was used regularly and presented no failures. Last hardware change was on December as I added another SSD for storage. Haven't touched the pc since then. Did no install any program/upsate that night.

Shutdowns seem to be completely random as they can happen 15 times a day, just 3 a day or sometimes there is a large period of no shutdowns (24 hours aprox).

Windows Event viewer showed and has been showing this couple of error every single time the pc shuts down itself.

Source: Kernel-Power

Event ID: 41

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: User32

Event ID: 1074

The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-0G9VTAA) has initiated the Apagar of computer DESKTOP-0G9VTAA on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No se encontraron títulos para este motivo

Reason Code: 0x500ff

Shutdown Type: Apagar

Comment:

Yesterday a couple of shutdows showed this event instead of the winlogon.exe one.

The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-0G9VTAA) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-0G9VTAA on behalf of user DESKTOP-0G9VTAA\Cesar for the following reason: Otros (no planeado)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

Here is the list of every single attempt to solve this problem.

[  ] Normal temperatures on NZXT CAM
[  ] Reconfigured Power Settings
[  ] Disabled XMP on BIOS
[  ] Disabled CPU C states on BIOS
[  ] Changed Registry Logs
[  ] Ran CMD sfc scan
[  ] Ran Intel Utility Test for CPU
[  ] Ran full Windows Defender Scans
[  ] Ran Malware Bytes Scan
[  ] Removed any unnecesary peripherals
[  ] Reinstalled Windows
[  ] Repaired Windows
[  ] Recabled everything
[  ] Changed PSU
[  ] Removed GPU
[  ] Removed E and D drives, one SSD remains
[  ] 4 ram sticks, tested each pair separately.
[  ] Changed the CMOS Battery from MOBO
[  ] Tried another MOBO
[  ] Changed UPS
[  ] Changed to a different power outlet

Most of the solutions came from people reporting the same issue or almost identical issues on forums. Some came from Microsoft Windows Tech Support, some others from an Independent Advisor at a Microsoft Forum.

Last week, I sent my pc to a technician in order to check what is going on. To our surprise, my pc never turned off nor start up itself from Monday to Thursday. Each day he left the PC on for half of the day, and the other half off. None of ehat I have reported happened.

Not sure if it was a hell of a lucky streak or if my house is cursed. Any advice will be helpful.

Windows: 10 64x

PSU W: 650

BIOS: Version 0906 2017/03/24 

Intel Core i5 7600k

Asus z270-a Prime

Asus Dual GTX 1060-6gb OC

4x4gb 3000hz Corsair Vengeance

Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler

2x480 Kingston SATA SSD

1x1TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm

NZXT HUE v1

Corsair CX650M PSU

I only have 1 word to say.    YOUTUBE  ..

sorry I couldnt be more help never had that problem you could try booting into safe mode but Idek how to fix that

• 7 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, CesarVB said:

Over 3 weeks ago, my PC that has been built and working fine for almost 3 years now started shutting down and starting up by itself.

This started one night after being shut down as I was about to sleep. That day it was used regularly and presented no failures. Last hardware change was on December as I added another SSD for storage. Haven't touched the pc since then. Did no install any program/upsate that night.

Shutdowns seem to be completely random as they can happen 15 times a day, just 3 a day or sometimes there is a large period of no shutdowns (24 hours aprox).

Windows Event viewer showed and has been showing this couple of error every single time the pc shuts down itself.

Source: Kernel-Power

Event ID: 41

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: User32

Event ID: 1074

The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-0G9VTAA) has initiated the Apagar of computer DESKTOP-0G9VTAA on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No se encontraron títulos para este motivo

Reason Code: 0x500ff

Shutdown Type: Apagar

Comment:

Yesterday a couple of shutdows showed this event instead of the winlogon.exe one.

The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-0G9VTAA) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-0G9VTAA on behalf of user DESKTOP-0G9VTAA\Cesar for the following reason: Otros (no planeado)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

Here is the list of every single attempt to solve this problem.

[  ] Normal temperatures on NZXT CAM
[  ] Reconfigured Power Settings
[  ] Disabled XMP on BIOS
[  ] Disabled CPU C states on BIOS
[  ] Changed Registry Logs
[  ] Ran CMD sfc scan
[  ] Ran Intel Utility Test for CPU
[  ] Ran full Windows Defender Scans
[  ] Ran Malware Bytes Scan
[  ] Removed any unnecesary peripherals
[  ] Reinstalled Windows
[  ] Repaired Windows
[  ] Recabled everything
[  ] Changed PSU
[  ] Removed GPU
[  ] Removed E and D drives, one SSD remains
[  ] 4 ram sticks, tested each pair separately.
[  ] Changed the CMOS Battery from MOBO
[  ] Tried another MOBO
[  ] Changed UPS
[  ] Changed to a different power outlet

Most of the solutions came from people reporting the same issue or almost identical issues on forums. Some came from Microsoft Windows Tech Support, some others from an Independent Advisor at a Microsoft Forum.

Last week, I sent my pc to a technician in order to check what is going on. To our surprise, my pc never turned off nor start up itself from Monday to Thursday. Each day he left the PC on for half of the day, and the other half off. None of ehat I have reported happened.

Not sure if it was a hell of a lucky streak or if my house is cursed. Any advice will be helpful.

Windows: 10 64x

PSU W: 650

BIOS: Version 0906 2017/03/24 

Intel Core i5 7600k

Asus z270-a Prime

Asus Dual GTX 1060-6gb OC

4x4gb 3000hz Corsair Vengeance

Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler

2x480 Kingston SATA SSD

1x1TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm

NZXT HUE v1

Corsair CX650M PSU

Hey Cesar,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?? My computer also started this behavior last week after almost 7 years of flawless operation. Furthermore, my computer also starts up by itself a few minutes after "shutdown". My first guess went to PSU but as I read around it could a software system error. I have take the steps you took except the replacement of PSU also but no fix. The shutdown I can fix by disabling sleep everywhere.

Looking forward to your answer,

George

CPU: Intel i7 12700KF; M/B: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A D4; RAM: DDR4 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz/C16; GPU: Gigabyte RTX4090 Gaming OC 24GB; Monitor: Asus PG348Q 34" ultrawide 1440p; Storage: 1x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB, 1x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 1x WD Green 6TB; Optical: Asus Blu-Ray recorder; PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W; Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900; Sound: Sound Blaster Z; Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumKeyboard: Corsair K95 RGB; Internet: FTTH 100Mbps; OS: Windows 11 Pro.