I Ordered a FAKE Ryzen 5 3600 From Best Buy

Plouffe

We got our hands on what was supposed to be an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 from Best Buy and you won't believe what's inside!

Buy AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/g1OGZd

Buy ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/7YaLYM

Buy G.Skill Ripjaw 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz RAM (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/zNRFcUU

Buy Seasonic X-series 750w 80+ Gold PSU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AY8wlso

Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Mnz7BO1

Buy Crucial BX500 SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0Yxjr

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

This reminds me of when I was working as a mechanic in a fleetshop for rental trucks. People would rent a truck for day so that they could pullout a working engine and return it with weaker and/or dying engine. Same with transmissions as well. Take the working tranny out of the truck and replace it with one that was on its last legs or that has failed completely.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

38 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

We got our hands on what was supposed to be an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 from Best Buy and you won't believe what's inside!

Buy AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/g1OGZd

Buy ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/7YaLYM

Buy G.Skill Ripjaw 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz RAM (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/zNRFcUU

Buy Seasonic X-series 750w 80+ Gold PSU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AY8wlso

Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Mnz7BO1

Buy Crucial BX500 SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0Yxjr

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

That fake CPU has about the same performance as mine lmao

I just got this processor yesterday.. 😐

Buyed on 13'th, arrived on 15'th..

Man i love and hate our mail.

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

It is very unlikely that murzeu's brother has anything to do with it. Working with RMA I've had a direct customer of one of those e-tailers (not marketplace, not eBay/Craigslist) receive a counterfeit 3000 series Ryzen CPU as well, contacting us as a result. It was another AM3 CPU rebranded just like that. Also came in a retail sealed box.

And if I had a brother, I'd most likely not give him the headache or attempt to pull a show in hopes someone would buy it off from me.

So, either the end customer was a scammer himself (and did the delidding/swap) or he was just the victim after all, receiving a product that was tampered with in a previous stage of the process. I've never personally met the person, and even if I did there's the possibility I could have been fooled by someone claiming not to be tech-savvy, anyway.

7 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

I just got this processor yesterday.. 😐

Buyed on 13'th, arrived on 15'th..

Man i love and hate our mail.

Did you buy it from BestBuy as well? Did it come sealed and was an AM3 CPU packed as a 3000 series Ryzen CPU?
Did you check the bottom of the box (where the flaps fold) to check if there was any sign of tampering/wear?

when you detect the ad segway coming but youtube said "lol the arrow buttions are bound to the volume control right now"

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

when you detect the ad segway coming but youtube said "lol the arrow buttions are bound to the volume control right now"

well, you can also use J and L keys

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

59 minutes ago, trag1c said:

This reminds me of when I was working as a mechanic in a fleetshop for rental trucks. People would rent a truck for day so that they could pullout a working engine and return it with weaker and/or dying engine. Same with transmissions as well. Take the working tranny out of the truck and replace it with one that was on its last legs or that has failed completely.

That is crazy, people who do that should be axed in the knee caps.

45 minutes ago, nmindz said:

It is very unlikely that murzeu's brother has anything to do with it. Working with RMA I've had a direct customer of one of those e-tailers (not marketplace, not eBay/Craigslist) receive a counterfeit 3000 series Ryzen CPU as well, contacting us as a result. It was another AM3 CPU rebranded just like that. Also came in a retail sealed box

With the right tools and material it is not hard to reseal the packaging, and the person accepting the return may just put it back in stock and not even know about it, because it looks sealed and unopened.

This is the reason why I buy something from the autoparts store, I open the box at the counter, because this stuff happens.

My experience:

A long time ago when I worked at a shop, we had some parts delivered to us, and one of the boxes was supposed to have brake pads in it. What was in the box was actually was used, old and rusty brake shoes. The idiots at the parts store did not check the returns, and this is a thing that has happened to others as well. There are no seals on some of the the boxes so this is pretty easy to check, but they don't and just put them back on the shelf.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

42 minutes ago, nmindz said:

Did you buy it from BestBuy as well? Did it come sealed and was an AM3 CPU packed as a 3000 series Ryzen CPU?
Did you check the bottom of the box (where the flaps fold) to check if there was any sign of tampering/wear?

BestBuy? Lol i wish that existed in norway. AM3? I didnt touch AMD untiil AM4 came along, anything before that was garbage in performance in games here.

No wear on the bottom box or sign of wear 🙂

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

43 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

That is crazy, people who do that should be axed in the knee caps.

With the right tools and material it is not hard to reseal the packaging, and the person accepting the return may just put it back in stock and not even know about it, because it looks sealed and unopened.

This is the reason why I buy something from the autoparts store, I open the box at the counter, because this stuff happens.

My experience:

A long time ago when I worked at a shop, we had some parts delivered to us, and one of the boxes was supposed to have brake pads in it. What was in the box was actually was used, old and rusty brake shoes. The idiots at the parts store did not check the returns, and this is a thing that has happened to others as well. There are no seals on some of the the boxes so this is pretty easy to check, but they don't and just put them back on the shelf.

I have seen that as well. Not when I was working at the fleetshop since they got everything directly through GM and Ford but when I moved to an independent shop for a change of I pace we had a few instances where stuff like an alternator would come in where it was a broken part/used part that some other shop had ordered and then returned it back to the distributor (Napa, Autovalue etc.) under the pretense that they ordered the wrong one.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

why does both this and the recent PC build with Yvonne seem "odd" when it comes to the video quality & sounds.

Its almost as though its in some sort of soft focus/Instagram beauty mode

Because I live in Canada the first thing I thought was the cpu came from a marketplace seller, but those don't seem to exist in the US. Best Buy employees had a different scam apparently threw the no receipt policy, however I don't think they allow that anymore. My best guess is LTT got conned out of the $200 for reddit karma, or a return where someone bought the cpu to return it with the old unit inside. When you want the CPU but don't want to pay for it, you'll do anything really and can likely do everything on their day off, if this is the case they likely just swapped the IHS.

Also Linus didn't buy it from Best Buy, that's not clickbait that's outright misleading.

47 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

why does both this and the recent PC build with Yvonne seem "odd" when it comes to the video quality & sounds.

I noticed this one feels a bit stuttery, like really low fps or something, the clips from other videos look smooth in comparison.

Hi, I just saw this video, but since English is not my first language, I'm trying to understand who or what is "murzeu", if that's the word Linus said at the beginning. Thanks a lot in advance for the explanation.

26 minutes ago, Conin said:

Hi, I just saw this video, but since English is not my first language, I'm trying to understand who or what is "murzeu", if that's the word Linus said at the beginning. Thanks a lot in advance for the explanation.

II think its a users name on reddit

3 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

BestBuy? Lol i wish that existed in norway. AM3? I didnt touch AMD untiil AM4 came along, anything before that was garbage in performance in games here.

No wear on the bottom box or sign of wear 🙂

I meant if it was the same kind of counterfeit CPU... an AM3 socket in a Ryzen box.

Being that this thing was shipped 3rd party from US to Sri Lanka, and while ofc its not 'nice' to look down on other countries .. .. Sri Lanka is considered a 3rd world / developing country for a reason. i'd bet this was intercepted in Sri Lanka.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Didn't even know that!

to add to this, you can use the , and . keys to go frame by frame if you so wish!

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

3 hours ago, mikeyw64 said:

Hmmm you're right, maybe an editing thing

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

When I was working at a liquor store I've seen a similar scam where people bought a carton of beer, drunk the beer, filled the empty bottles with water, recapped them and glued the box back up. They tried returning the carton for a refund. I opened the box in front of them and pulled out the water-filled beer bottles. They didn't get a refund.

They might have gotten away with it if not for the fact that no-one ever returns beer. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I think this is being done at the suppler level some how swapping out the original supply with counterfeit. This reminds me of a recent experience i had with buying alternators on Ebay , the first time i received a broken alternator and while i was waiting for the return i started an order with a different seller in a similar area (California) and i told them "the last alternator i bought from a different seller was doa , could you please confirm the alternators are tested as described in the description:" And they didnt reply they just cancelled my order. California is typically used as a distribution port for chinese sellers as most of the container ships dock in california. I suspect these alternators are coming untested from China, it's cheaper to send out untested alternators than it is to test them . 

Then there was another time when i ordered toliet paper on amazon and it was shipped from china, and what i received was mini toliet paper rolls , pictured it looks like normal TP. Totally misleading. 

Given that aliexpress fake gpus are coming from China, given that China is a common source of these scams , i suspect these fake processors is coming out of a Chinese factory , and at some point in the supply chain these are getting swapped out. I believe AMD is shipping processors out of China, so it could be a heist originating in China before the processors get on the plane. 

I Ordered a FAKE Ryzen 5 3600 From Best Buy

That title is completely misleading. LMG did NOT order a fake AMD CPU, someone else did and it just happened that Linus took pity and bought it off the victim (let's assume so, as Linus correctly states one option involves the victim as perpetrator.)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)