Buying RTX 3070 for $1300: stupid?

Doughnutnator

Hello. 3 weeks ago my gpu (GTX 1080) decided to die. No 'easy' fix besides re-flowing/throwing a shit-ton of heat hoping it fixes something.

I'm not in the US, currently a local retail supplier is selling a Gigabyte RTX 3070 for $1300. Brand new, warranty and all that stuff.

A friend helped me and allowed me to use his spare GTX 750Ti in the meantime, he was not willing to sell it and said 'use it while you find a replacement'.

No friends have spare GPU's to sell, those who do, want inflated prices ($1200 for an RTX2070s).

Since this scalping/low stock stuff is here to stay for at least 1-2 years, i'm wondering how stupid would paying $1300 for a brand-new RTX 3070 would be.

I can afford it, would take a chunk out of my savings and I never thought I would spend full-system money on a single GPU.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Doughnutnator said:

I can afford it, would take a chunk out of my savings and I never thought I would spend full-system money on a single GPU.

If it's taking money out of your savings don't bother with it. Look for a 750 Ti for $50-100 on eBay or something. $1300 could almost get you a 3090 with regular pricing.

elephants

1 minute ago, Doughnutnator said:

i'm wondering how stupid would paying $1300 for a brand-new RTX 3070 would be.

so the question is... how important is gaming for you?

personally i wouldnt pay $1300 for a GPU just for gaming, but you may think otherwise

a 750ti should be able to play some older titles while u wait it out, but i can understand that 1-2 years is a bloody long time

2 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Any thoughts?

mining is a thing that you can utilise to offset some cost of the GPU, but it's not guaranteed that you'll get the full amount back anytime soon, and if mining would even last for the next few months

personally i would go for it and utilise mining to offset the cost (if not part of) of the GPU

right now a 3070 is expected to make ~5-6 USD a day, so it's $150-180 a month, not guaranteed of course, since it's so volatile

so if you're getting it, mining may help ease the pain, even for a little

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'd spend 200$ or so on a rx 480/580/470/570 or GTX 1060/1650/1650 super/970 or equivalent card, whichever is cheaper, and stick to that until the prices come back down. From my experience at least, my RX 480 is still able to play all the latest titles decently. I don't see a point to nearly paying RTX 3090 money for a 3070.

If you want to while you wait you can try to get a graphics card through other means like some of the raffles newegg makes, or maybe verfied actual gamer programme if it's still on or will continue, and whatever other options other retailers might offer so you can get a GPU at a semi-reasonable price.

Unless there's some specific games that require a good card that are really important to you I'd just get some cheap 1030 or whatever card you can find cheap and play some older and retro games for the next year or even try game streaming.

Yes, for $1800 you can buy a full PC with a 3070. in the US.

How much are full PC's with 3070s where you live?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x