24" or 27" Monitor?

JOOT49

I am looking for monitors, and I have found a monitor that I like (ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV) and they have 2 sizes, currently i have a 13" MBP and a 7.9" inch iPad mini together, it works nicely as 2 displays, the 2 apps I run with are Google Chrome and MS teams. What size should I chose so i can just use 1 monitor? Should it be 21" inch? or would that be to small for my 2 apps? is 27" overkill? Is 75Hz refresh rate to little for gaming? Any and all suggestions would be helpful, I would prefer if it was under 300.

Main Computer:

13' Macbook Pro 2020

2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

16GB DDR4 Ram

Intel iris integrated graphics

1TB SSD

MacOS (Linux Mint on external drive)

School Laptop

13' MacBook Air 2020

M1

8GB unified ram

128GB SSD (Yikes)

Macos

Other Accessories

ASUS ProArt USB-C display

Apple Pencil 1st gen. (Lol I lost it so technically no)

iPhone 14 Pro

Keychron K8 (Gateron Brown)

Logitech G-Pro Wireless

AirPods Pro

Anker USB-C dongle (why apple, why)

1tb MyPassport USB3 drive

Paid Software

AirBuddy

Alfred Power Pack

Office 365

Crash Plan

I'd say that the minimum I'd go for is a 24 inch monitor, that should fit two programs side by side quite comfortably. If you go larger than 24 inches, I think you'd need to consider how deep your desk is, to make sure that you can place the monitor at a comfortable distance so that you wouldn't really strain your neck or eyes. 

75Hz is plenty for normal use and some casual gaming, but you'd have to consider what you value most in a monitor. I'm not sure about prices where you are, but the monitor you listed seems to be a monitor with high colour accuracy that might be more focused on colour accurate work. If you aren't doing work that requires that, I think you'd find more options, in terms of size, and a higher refresh rate(if you want/need it) that should be slightly easier on the wallet.

It kinda also depends on your personal preference and more importantly the distance you're away from the monitor.

To bad that in current climate you just cant say go to the store and look at some. 😞

But afaik 13"and 8" is 21" so you would about have the same size overall.
(doesnt really work like that but for example its good enough)

But it also comes down to resolution. If the 13"is a 1080p monitor you will lose a lot of sharpness going with a 21"1080p.

Also the difference between 21" and 24" is marginal, i had a setup with 2x 21" and 1x 24"monitor and it was only noticeable when they are next to each other.

Also 75Hz is more a marketing gimmick, its not that big of a change coming from 60Hz (which most monitors start at). So thats more personal preference.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

24" 1440p is amazing, very sharp, no need for Anti-Aliasing in games. But you need to sit at less than an arm's distance and be in a dark room to have decent immersion for gaming and movies.

27" is the sweet spot for 1440p, you still get higher PPI than 24" 1080p, and bigger immersion, 27" fills your field of view perfectly at an arm's distance.

I disagree about 75Hz being a marketing gimmick, it's noticeable from 60Hz, especially with freesync/g-sync which are a must these days. The difference between 60Hz and 75Hz is more easily noticeable than from 75Hz to 120Hz.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows