Great white headphones?

Plermpel

Hello,

I am looking for some good white headphones to match my wifes white setup.

Currently have in mind the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5X and the beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

I allready a DT770 Pro, assuming that the Custom One uses the same drive I bet those are great headphones on the other hand a friend of mine uses the ATH-A990Z.

Totally different Price range thou, but also great sounding.

I don't really want to spent more than 150€. The phones will be powered off a seperate DAC, so impedance doesn't really matter.

3 hours ago, AnonymousDeveloping said:

Do you recommend gaming headsets to a guy with stereo equipment. Pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Currently have in mind the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5X and the beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

Those would probably be great options due to them being good brands. I would recommend the Beyers tho.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

7 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

I am looking for some good white headphones to match my wifes white setup.

I allready a DT770 Pro, assuming that the Custom One uses the same drive I bet those are great headphones on the other hand a friend of mine uses the ATH-A990Z.

Totally different Price range thou, but also great sounding.

I don't really want to spent more than 150€. The phones will be powered off a seperate DAC, so impedance doesn't really matter.

Could go with ATH m40x with dbrand skins and white uograded pads from brainwave which will help with soundstage

Got a white M50X b-stock for 110€ now.

Pretty good deal I think,thanks anyway

6 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Got a white M50X b-stock for 110€ now.

Pretty good deal I think,thanks anyway

There is a reason why they are b-stock. They sound awful for gaming and music listening.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

There is a reason why they are b-stock. They sound awful for gaming and music listening.

Why? You tried them? They got tons of great reviews on the music store I got them from.

9 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Why? You tried them? They got tons of great reviews on the music store I got them from.

They are pretty awful for gaming. Non existent soundstage making layering separations and imaging iffy. It's ok when monitoring as you generally want something with smaller soundstage depending on the user but for music and especially gaming depending on the user it's almost never the best pick. Most people just listen to what YouTuber reviews say and never really get a chance to compare headphones themselves unfortunately. Seeing as you have a 770 I would compare them if you have a chance. It's honestly the most universally panned headphone in almost every audio forum I've seen that is by a legitamate audio company. A good part of the  reason is honestly probably z reviews viewers but generally hate doesn't stay like it has with the m50x if it was actually good.

8 hours ago, rice guru said:

They are pretty awful for gaming. Non existent soundstage making layering separations and imaging iffy. It's ok when monitoring as you generally want something with smaller soundstage depending on the user but for music and especially gaming depending on the user it's almost never the best pick. Most people just listen to what YouTuber reviews say and never really get a chance to compare headphones themselves unfortunately. Seeing as you have a 770 I would compare them if you have a chance.

Also want to follow up  here is @Max_Settingsjust demolishing them. 

Ok

But honestly I don't trust his review, according to his post, the M40s are better than the M50s, I can't say anything about the sound stage, but according to reputable frequency response measurements it is about the opposite that he says. The M40X has even more pumped up low Mids and even higher amplified heights and since they both use a very similar housing I also don't belive that the sound stage is going to be that different.

Also he never talks about which Sound Card he uses, which Amplifier (Opamps, Class AB / Class D?)

I personally have 4 USB Decks at home, Cheap Alesis 48Khz, cheap Behringer one 48Khz, also cheap Behringer one 192Khz, And a Steinberg UR22, which is also quite cheap accually.

The two 48Khz ones are crap, I just used them to get "high quality" Audio Output from my consoles. The Behringer 192Khz is not bad accually but the headphone amplifier is still not very good, also it lacks of ASIO Support to playback my Guitar Live through Cubase with low latency.

The UR22 is a very good DAC in my Oppinion but the Headphone Amp still lacks of clarity.

I also have an old Creative E-MU 1212M, which I sadly can't use anymore since Driver Support ended with Windows XP, I used drive my DT770s from a Samson Servo 120a back than and that is day and night! Not comparbale to any USB DAC I have tried so far.

But honestly, my wife is not going to hear any differnce in anything anyways, when she listenes to Spotify while coding... and it will be a huge step up, especially in comfort to her AKG K518 headphones.

2 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Ok

But honestly I don't trust his review, according to his post, the M40s are better than the M50s, I can't say anything about the sound stage, but according to reputable frequency response measurements it is about the opposite that he says. The M40X has even more pumped up low Mids and even higher amplified heights and since they both use a very similar housing I also don't belive that the sound stage is going to be that different.

Also he never talks about which Sound Card he uses, which Amplifier (Opamps, Class AB / Class D?)

I personally have 4 USB Decks at home, Cheap Alesis 48Khz, cheap Behringer one 48Khz, also cheap Behringer one 192Khz, And a Steinberg UR22, which is also quite cheap accually.

The two 48Khz ones are crap, I just used them to get "high quality" Audio Output from my consoles. The Behringer 192Khz is not bad accually but the headphone amplifier is still not very good, also it lacks of ASIO Support to playback my Guitar Live through Cubase with low latency.

The UR22 is a very good DAC in my Oppinion but the Headphone Amp still lacks of clarity.

I also have an old Creative E-MU 1212M, which I sadly can't use anymore since Driver Support ended with Windows XP, I used drive my DT770s from a Samson Servo 120a back than and that is day and night! Not comparbale to any USB DAC I have tried so far.

But honestly, my wife is not going to hear any differnce in anything anyways, when she listenes to Spotify while coding... and it will be a huge step up, especially in comfort to her AKG K518 headphones.

First off measurements generally don't tell you the whole story. Second the m40x is a more neutral headphone to most ears and if you look beyond this review and look at overall sentiment from the whole community the m40x tends to be the most liked. Soundstage isn't all that different but it's better but that's why I suggested to upgrade the pads which improves the soundstage will pump up the bass abit generally but kinda improves almost everything. You could argue doing that with the m50x and you could but the tuning is kinda not great on it that a pad swap could ruin the tuning more. In regard to the Beringer or any dac amp if the amp is no good the dac is basically no good as well. But it is an interface so the dac does more than just be a dac for the unit alone. but I mean if you haven't tried many DACs it's probably is better than most DACs you've tried 

I'm pretty sure TigerLeon left this thread but he's pretty well known as an audio guy and knows his stuff. Same with Max_Settings.

M50X get a lot of misplaced praise. People like the sound signature, and to some people they are comfy (my ears are too big too fit in the pads) But they have zero soundstage , alongside really weird sonic tuning making them not sound very good in most games. I have not tried M40X but based on what this community and the arguably knowledgeable folks over at Head-Fi and Audio Science Review have to say, they simply present better value for most people

If you are looking for white headphones I would recommend either just painting your existing headphones or getting something like DT990 premium edition or a pair of DT880 (technically these arent super white but have mostly white and metallic parts) they do fall out of your price range a bit but refurbished versions are available on amazon (at least here in the US) for a decent amount cheaper.

But if you aren't going to be using these and your wife will not be able to tell the difference, just get whatever is cheapest.