is mining bad for my 3060ti

is mining bad for my 3060ti it stays at about 60c and is under 100% load the whole time is it bad.

The card will die quickly, and the community hate miners too

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

<-- Moved to Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Meowster said:

The card will die quickly, and the community hate miners too

This is factually incorrect. Individuals hate miners, NOT the community. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What are we comparing it with here?

Idling? Turned off? Gaming load?

Any load on your GPU increases the chances of it going bad

But if you tuned your GPU right (lowering power limit, boost up fan speed to cool the VRAM chips which aren't temperature monitored and is hit the hardest in mining ETH) then the risk of it failing is lower than if your GPU is running at stock settings in gaming, or any other load

A well tuned GPU, paired with a decent PSU, shouldn't have much risk, other than fans wearing out, which is an easy replacement through warranty or diy solutions

24 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Yes, mining is always bad

10 minutes ago, Meowster said:

The card will die quickly

Can you elaborate as to why?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

20 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

But if you tuned your GPU right (lowering power limit, boost up fan speed to cool the VRAM chips which aren't temperature monitored and is hit the hardest in mining ETH) then the risk of it failing is lower than if your GPU is running at stock settings in gaming, or any other load

A well tuned GPU, paired with a decent PSU, shouldn't have much risk, other than fans wearing out, which is an easy replacement through warranty or diy solutions

With my experiences in mining, the card has a shorter lifespan and I'm talking months until it dies. I had a small 2 GPU mining rig with 2x GTX 1070s and theyy both died within 5 months of 24/7 mining. I learnt that you need to undervolt the card slightly for better lifespan.

I'm not a huge fan of miners and I mostly quit mining due to just not being worth it and I was spending more on hardware than actually making the money

4 minutes ago, Meowster said:

With my experiences in mining, the card has a shorter lifespan and I'm talking months until it dies. I had a small 2 GPU mining rig with 2x GTX 1070s and theyy both died within 5 months of 24/7 mining. I learnt that you need to undervolt the card slightly for better lifespan.

May I know what PSU you used, and did you learn about undervolting before or after they died?

None of my GPU died, I've been mining almost non-stop since 2017, my oldest GPU now is 2018 so about 2 years non-stop

4 minutes ago, Meowster said:

I was spending more on hardware than actually making the money

My 2070super have mined more than its worth, probably three fold or more by now(?)

Three of my 3060ti that I acquired in December have already mined their worth last month, perhaps there's something off with your configuration if majority of other people are making money from it while you're losing money? I'm interested to know why so I can avoid it

1 hour ago, daddy linus said:

is mining bad for my 3060ti it stays at about 60c and is under 100% load the whole time is it bad.

No, it's just another load to the GPU. 100% just means the GPU is working as hard as it can and isn't much different from seeing 100% GPU in games. What you do want to keep an eye on are core and memory temperatures (especially the latter for the 3000 series).

19 minutes ago, Meowster said:

I'm not a huge fan of miners and I mostly quit mining due to just not being worth it and I was spending more on hardware than actually making the money

The difficulty here is that you don't know it was mining that caused this, because you don't know whether they wouldn't have died after 5 months from that day anyway. You wouldn't say "gaming killed my GPU" if it dies 5 months after you started gaming and I don't think we have seen 1070s dying left and right from mining. That would have made the news.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

May I know what PSU you used, and did you learn about undervolting before or after they died?

None of my GPU died, I've been mining almost non-stop since 2017, my oldest GPU now is 2018 so about 2 years non-stop

My 2070super have mined more than its worth, probably three fold or more by now(?)

Three of my 3060ti that I acquired in December have already mined their worth last month, perhaps there's something off with your configuration if majority of other people are making money from it while you're losing money? I'm interested to know why so I can avoid it

The GPU I was using was a Corsair RM1000x which was left over from a project I never completed. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but the hardware I was using just kept failing eg. fried out RAM stick, motherboard failed. I doubt it was the mining fault however I managed to RMA all the components. Since then I haven't mined again on GPUs, but I do have 2 Antminer S9i in my garage running occasionally. 

And for the undervolting, I learnt about that soon after they died

1 minute ago, tikker said:

No, it's just another load to the GPU. 100% just means the GPU is working as hard as it can and isn't much different from seeing 100% GPU in games. What you do want to keep an eye on are core and memory temperatures (especially the latter for the 3000 series).

The difficulty here is that you don't know it was mining that caused this, because you don't know whether they wouldn't have died after 5 months from that day anyway. You wouldn't say "gaming killed my GPU" if it dies 5 months after you started gaming and I don't think we have seen 1070s dying left and right from mining. That would have made the news.

I think it may have been the mining, as the GPUs were used for gaming before for a few years and the previous owner never had any issues. However undervolting probably would have prevented the issue? I'm not too sure

1 minute ago, Meowster said:

The GPU I was using was a Corsair RM1000x which was left over from a project I never completed.

Ah, I'm using an rm850x until recently I added HX1000 and AX1600i to the mix

So it's not your PSU, probably (good PSU can still be bad, depending on luck)

2 minutes ago, Meowster said:

And for the undervolting, I learnt about that soon after they died

Truth be told, I was an idiot miner for about a year, and mined on high power consumption

But iirc I limited it to 90% or 80% in fear of it failing, so maybe that helped

Nonetheless, I still find it odd that you manage to fry two GPU (which I assume is 100% of your mining GPU) within a year, and I would like to find out why, still

Even at stock settings a card shouldn't fail like that in ANY load within that timeframe

Perhaps it's the riser you used? Or were the GPU stacked closely in a enclosed casing in pcie slots?

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Ah, I'm using an rm850x until recently I added HX1000 and AX1600i to the mix

So it's not your PSU, probably (good PSU can still be bad, depending on luck)

Truth be told, I was an idiot miner for about a year, and mined on high power consumption

But iirc I limited it to 90% or 80% in fear of it failing, so maybe that helped

Nonetheless, I still find it odd that you manage to fry two GPU (which I assume is 100% of your mining GPU) within a year, and I would like to find out why, still

Even at stock settings a card shouldn't fail like that in ANY load within that timeframe

Perhaps it's the riser you used? Or were the GPU stacked closely in a enclosed casing in pcie slots?

I would also really like to know the same. The PCIe riser I used was a generic one I found on Amazon, I doubt it was the riser as now its working in one of the servers at work. As for the GPUs, they were in an open mining case with plenty of ventilation, and the GPUs were spaced apart too

3 minutes ago, Meowster said:

I would also really like to know the same. The PCIe riser I used was a generic one I found on Amazon, I doubt it was the riser as now its working in one of the servers at work. As for the GPUs, they were in an open mining case with plenty of ventilation, and the GPUs were spaced apart too

Hmm... Given it's a used GPU, the previous owner might've treated it harshly and we would be none the wiser, especially if he's selling two 1070, high probability that he's a miner(?)

I bought mine new because of these reasons, I can't tell how harshly it's been treated before

32 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Hmm... Given it's a used GPU, the previous owner might've treated it harshly and we would be none the wiser, especially if he's selling two 1070, high probability that he's a miner(?)

I bought mine new because of these reasons, I can't tell how harshly it's been treated before

He told me he used them in SLI, I can confirm as I went to collect them in person. I doubt he was a miner as he had a full RGB rig with I think it was a i7 7th gen something. He looked like just a gamer, however I don't know if he ever actually cleaned the GPUs and/or his system

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

there is no point to mining, no value is created.

At least with Folding you're doing something useful, not with mining.

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Ok, but I don't think this is relevant to the context of OP's question and your vagueness may be misinterpreted

Also,

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210514-233255.thumb.png.d415a5922bd8834c94093e0cb2643845.png

Guess USD isn't anything valuable to you

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Screenshot_20210514-233255.thumb.png.d415a5922bd8834c94093e0cb2643845.pngGuess USD isn't anything valuable to you

No i mean, its like printing money, there is nothing behind it.

With folding, you are helping medical institutes by running simulations.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:43 AM, Lord Szechenyi said:

This type of holier than thou attitude is exactly why I deleted Fold in 2004 and hasn't looked back. Who are you to dictate additional electricity and potential hardware costs to a private user? I'd rather donate the money to a reputable and high efficiency charity.  

4 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

We got 'em guys, charities are useless now.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, Lord Szechenyi said:

The "usefulness" argument is flawed, because usefulness is largely subjective. Mining serves to secure a decentralised network on which transactions and a bunch of other things can be done. A non-negligible amount of people now use this or investment in it and thus it has become useful to them. As a reward for lending their compute power, miners get paid some crypto. The planet would probably be better off without humans, as we have a tendency to destroy everything around us, so one can argue Folding@Home is useless because it only helps humans. If I don't care for crypto and what it offers, then it's useless to me, but not to others. This forum's existence could be seen as useless and a waste of power to me if I wasn't interested in tech and/or the LTT community. You can add everything that is not a basic necessity for life to this list. You can argue whether mining is the way to go to secure this network, but it is done out of usefulness or necessity.

The general "priority list" seems to often be medicine > science > other stuff. I get asked the same question sometimes why we spend billions of dollars on space telescopes instead of funding cancer research, because that would alledgedly solve all our problems a billion times quicker. It just doesn't work that way and a lot of stuff also gets discovered accidentally or is a spinoff from a completely different field. On multiple occasions has e.g. medicine seen advances because of scientific discoveries unrelated to it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 5/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, Lord Szechenyi said:

No i mean, its like printing money, there is nothing behind it.

With folding, you are helping medical institutes by running simulations.

You can go ahead and think that but the US dollar isnt backed by anything but what the US government says it is now since we eliminated the gold standard. So maybe stop trying to control people with stupid arguments on what they should or shouldn't be doing with their hardware and answer the question posed by the OP

On 5/16/2021 at 6:07 AM, daddy linus said:

I have bought 2 gpus from miners. Both of them ran fine stock or with a core oc. They couldnt handle much in the way of mem oc. Both cards live their lives todday in gaming rigs ive sold and have been functional as gaming gpus for 2 years after their 2 years of mining. Just be careful to control temps and dont OC memory too harshly if mining ethereum and the longevity should not be greatly affected.

1 hour ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

You can go ahead and think that but the US dollar isn't backed by anything but what the US government says it is now since we eliminated the gold standard. So maybe stop trying to control people with stupid arguments on what they should or shouldn't be doing with their hardware and answer the question posed by the OP

What are you talking about? The US Government prints money just like any other country.

Gold is still (somewhat) a standard to avoid inflation 

(although no joke, I've read that Legos can achieve that too)

2 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

What are you talking about? The US Government prints money just like any other country.

Gold is still (somewhat) a standard to avoid inflation 

(although no joke, I've read that Legos can achieve that too)

What they mean is that the dollar (and pretty much every other currency in the world, bar a handful of exceptions maybe) are not backed by anything physical like gold anymore. They're worth $1/€1/whatever because the government says it is, we agree on that and that you can pay taxes with it.

2 hours ago, tikker said:

What they mean is that the dollar (and pretty much every other currency in the world, bar a handful of exceptions maybe) are not backed by anything physical like gold anymore. They're worth $1/€1/whatever because the government says it is, we agree on that and that you can pay taxes with it.

Then im really confused, the person who replied to me just said back what i said?