First time build audio recording/mild gaming

Budget (including currency): $2500 (CAD) 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Reaper, Lunar magic,  open world RPGs

Other details : Upgrading from an 9 year old Samsung laptop

Was looking to go with a (black) mini to mid tower with a focus towards processing power and storage. I'm not too concerned with RGB or if it's air or liquid cooled.

The budget needs to include a monitor, I already own a mouse and keyboard. Any help with picking parts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! Do you already have a USB audio interface? It's a really good investment for any kind of audio processing. I'd recommend something like the focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or solo depending on how many inputs you would need.

I haven't bought an interface yet (or speaker monitors). I'm by no means a professional music producer but I am planning on buying these on a separate budget.

I wouldn't recommend Scarlett Solo. Maybe it's just personal experience, but the one I bought once had some issues with drivers, there was so much latency that you'd hear a delay between your input in the mic and live feedback in your computer. It's a cute red box which is attractive for beginners, but it's not a great interface. The I/Os were also very basic for even an audio interface of 100 bucks. Only RCA connectors, for example.

I had to return it, added a bit more money and got a Yamaha.

A friend of mine also had issues with a 2i2, had to send it to service. I think Focusrite interfaces get decent on the high end tier, entry ones aren't so great.

You could also try some PreSonus, I've heard they're good even on entry level.

3 hours ago, TudorF said:

I wouldn't recommend Scarlett Solo. Maybe it's just personal experience, but the one I bought once had some issues with drivers, there was so much latency that you'd hear a delay between your input in the mic and live feedback in your computer. It's a cute red box which is attractive for beginners, but it's not a great interface.

I had to return it, added a bit more money and got a Yamaha.

A friend of mine also had issues with a 2i2, had to send it to service. I think Focusrite interfaces get decent on the high end tier, entry ones aren't so great.

You could also try some PreSonus, I've heard they're good even on entry level.

Interesting! I personally don't have a focusrite but I heard many good things that made me think I made the wrong choice. I've got a tascam us 144 but I don't think it's made anymore.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qZHrgt CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Memory Express)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.75 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Memory Express)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($108.75 @ Vuugo)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.25 @ Vuugo)

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($199.50 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1052.23 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-15 17:05 EDT-0400

Here's a suggestion. The case doesn't have the best airflow but it's okay and silent. Plus it's got some space for drive. Otherwise there's the XL version. You still have about 1000$ for screen and a graphics card when the market is more friendly.