Apple Discontinuing Space Grey Mac Accessories Now That iMac Pro is Dead

VixAAT

Summary

Apple is now discontinuing the Space Grey Versions of the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad due to axing of the iMac Pro, earlier this year. On Apple's website is says under all items that these products will be around while stocks last. 

When existing supplies of the Space Gray Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad are exhausted, Apple will only have these accessories available in a silver color option.

My thoughts

Well, Apple doesn't want you to get a set of accessories that doesn't match a product. Time will tell when the new iMac will get stand alone accessories, but took the iMac Pro several months to have the accessories separate.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/14/apple-discontinuing-space-gray-mac-accessories/

F for the best color they've ever made.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Pity. Apple's silver looks a bit nasty IMO, especially with those cheap-looking white keycaps - space gray has a sort of sophistication to it.

Not that I'd ever pay for Apple keyboards/mice though...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

It seems that there will only ever be one iMac Pro - the iMacPro1,1.

Also F for the Space Gray stuff. It looked really nice and I was considering getting a space gray Magic Mouse 2 for my Hackintosh. The touchpad-ish abilities of the mouse are really handy and a regular mouse can't emulate it.

elephants

38 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Pity. Apple's silver looks a bit nasty IMO, especially with those cheap-looking white keycaps - space gray has a sort of sophistication to it.

Now imagine of a time when your display was white too. Totally ruins your darkmode everything vibe

51 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

specially the mice, worst one i've ever used

keyboard and trackpad were good though. But wouldn't buy them again if I had too.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

59 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I love Apple's desktop keyboards... they're quiet, compact and have a good feel if you like relatively short travel.

Of course, they're also Mac-centric and won't appeal at all if you prefer mechanicals. But I dig the style, and I like that the new ones are matched to the new iMacs. Life is too short to hate on a company for adding a splash of colour.

Now, the Magic Mouse I can understand. I'm fine with it myself and really like its effortless scrolling, but I won't deny its ergonomic issues and problems for anyone who prefers multiple discrete mouse buttons.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

F for the best color they've ever made.

i'm sorry? i've seen a few space grey devices and they are so boring!

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i'm sorry? i've seen a few space grey devices and they are so boring!

🤷‍♂️ What's boring to one person, is aesthetically pleasing to another.

image.thumb.png.2c2897ceb7c8f5918b4246aecd0589c9.png

Given the choice between Space Grey (basically black) and their white colored stuff... I'll pick the Space Grey.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You obviously never used the 1243 (and 1242) keyboards. Best keyboards for typing ever made.

29 minutes ago, Spindel said:

You obviously never used the 1243 (and 1242) keyboards. Best keyboards for typing ever made.

These things? (photo from Wikipedia)

1920px-Apple_iMac_Keyboard_A1243.png

I actually used them for years because there were loads of them at my school. I have very mixed feelings on them. In my opinion they are most definitely not the "best keyboards for typing ever made".

They do actually feel alright to type on. Much better than other keyboards of that form-factor and taking into account the small travel, but nowhere near as good as some cheaper keyboards of a more conventional design, and definitely beaten by a well-built proper mechanical keyboard They are also very quiet, which is nice. And the built-in USB hub is a nice touch.

The aluminium finish is nice, but the keyboard still had a cheap feel to it because of the white plasticy keys and general flimsiness. Incidentally those white plasticy keys were not good quality - it was common to see them falling off when my school had them; the non-Apple keyboards there rarely if ever had such issues.

Similarly, I can't think of any better way to describe the built-in USB cables than "complete and utter sh*t". They were thin, flimsy, and had a habit of disintegrating - just like Apple's phone charging cables of the same era. Of course, the difference with phone charging cables is that you can replace them with higher quality aftermarket ones, which you can't here.

So overall - they weren't terrible keyboards by any stretch, but they really weren't worth the money, and I would never choose to use one. 

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

So white bezels for the next MacBook Air refresh then now that the 2021 iMac got white bezels too? It'll be like this forum's default day theme. It'll be an eye sore. 🤮

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So white bezels for the next MacBook Air refresh then now that the 2021 iMac got white bezels too? It'll be like this forum's default day theme. It'll be an eye sore. 🤮

Time for our sponsor dbrand

I was lucky enough to find someone selling a set of the Magic Mouse 2 and a Magic Keyboard for only $10. They were both brand new, presumably bundled with an iMac. I gave the mouse away (terrible user experience IMO), but the keyboard is truly excellent. 

8 hours ago, Spindel said:

As much as I love those keyboards I have to disagree with you there. You're definitely entitled to your own opinion of them, but I don't really think they're the best. They're easy to break from my experience. One of the two I own has a broken period key, but it won't actually come all the way off so I can fix it. It just flops backwards when I'm typing sometimes. Also, the cable is stupidly short when you aren't using it with an iMac.

The typing experience is decent enough, but I prefer the keys from the newer Magic Keyboard. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

16 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It'll be like this forum's default day theme. It'll be an eye sore.

:( day theme good.

✨FNIGE✨

38 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

😞 day theme good.

Said by no one

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Said by no one

Do i count as nobody? :(

✨FNIGE✨

the Magic Keyboard i still find the best to type on and i prefer gaming on its compact, responsive, and quiet. as a plus the battery lasts forever.. compared to other bluetooth solutions.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo