Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pc shuts off on game load and then turns back on.

Hey! So this started happening a week ago. I can't load into a csgo map without my pc completely crashing, no blue screen, just black like I would reboot it. The weird thing about it is that if I put fps_max 999 its when the problem occurs but if I cap my fps to lets say 300 or 400 it doesnt crash. If this was the only problem I would obv just use those settings but it also does the same thing in somewhat light settings on heaven benchmark. What could the issue be? 

Things I have tried, memtest86, prime95 for cpu temps and removed any oc from msi afterburner, changed thermal paste on cpu in case it was badly applied and removed all dust. 

Specs are: 980ti superjetsream, 10700k on stock and 3600mhz ram. The psu is the oldest with the gpu being over 5 years old. (https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-ss-660xp2-660w/p/N82E16817151121) newegg link for the psu. 

EDIT: 

Tried removing xmp profile but didnt help, what I have now also done is complete cleaning of gpu drivers with DDU and got the second newest version 466.11 that worked before without problems, I updated bios a week ago to a new version so went and flashed bios back to the older version that also was working fine. Neither of these fixed the issue. 

Seems to me as a PSU problem. The PSU isn't capable of delivering the wattage your system needs when under load. 

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL! I'll try not to make mistakes, but if I do, sorry! Most of my responses are based on past experiences, or just plain guesses. If a post solves your issue, do mark it as solution, so as to help other people having the same issue who stumble upon your thread.

VPN Server Guide

28 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Seems to me as a PSU problem. The PSU isn't capable of delivering the wattage your system needs when under load. 

It is a build with a 980ti, and a 660W PSU of decent quality. That is more than enough power. (It doesn't rule out the PSU maybe defective, but I wouldn't default to that).

OP:

When did you build this PC?

Are you overclocking anything?

How long did you  run memtest for?

9 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

It is a build with a 980ti, and a 660W PSU of decent quality. That is more than enough power.

OP:

When did you build this PC?

Are you overclocking anything?

How long did you  run memtest for?

So I build the pc back in december of 2015 but upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram last august. I was oc'ing the gpu on msi afterburner but very slightly and removed it anyway before the issue came up. Cpu is on stock and ram is xmp with mobo defaults. 

I ran the memtest admitetly a short time, for about an hour but it didnt have any issues. I also ran the windows own memory diagnostic or whatever its called if that counts for anything and that didnt give any issues.

2 minutes ago, INZ4NE_ said:

So I build the pc back in december of 2015 but upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram last august. I was oc'ing the gpu on msi afterburner but very slightly and removed it anyway before the issue came up. Cpu is on stock and ram is xmp with mobo defaults. 

I ran the memtest admitetly a short time, for about an hour but it didnt have any issues. I also ran the windows own memory diagnostic or whatever its called if that counts for anything and that didnt give any issues.

What happens if you remove your XMP profile and set it to auto?

How long has this been happening for?

1 minute ago, comicsansms said:

Issue started to happen couple days ago when I was playing and it crashed couple of times mid csgo match. Now it just wont even load into the map, crashes right at the end. 

Will try removing the xmp next. 

15 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

Okay so I tried it, same thing happens with xmp on/off. 

1 minute ago, INZ4NE_ said:

Okay so I tried it, same thing happens with xmp on/off. 

Is all your RAM of the exact same model?

What happens if you down-clock your graphics card?

Just now, comicsansms said:

Yes my ram is the g.skill ripjaws 16-16-16-36 3600mhz 16gb kit with them in slots 2 and 4. Trying the underclocking next.

15 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

Underclocking the gpu core clock for 90mhz and the memory clock down 200mhz and it seems the crashing is gone. Why would this be the case and does it mean I will have to run the gpu underclocked from now on?

12 hours ago, INZ4NE_ said:

Underclocking the gpu core clock for 90mhz and the memory clock down 200mhz and it seems the crashing is gone. Why would this be the case and does it mean I will have to run the gpu underclocked from now on?

Graphics cards can degrade over time.

And to why it’d only crash in CS:GO, some GPU loads are different to others.

Extreme overclockers are known to downclock their system during loading screens, as it can crash there (and it doesn’t affect overall score if it loads slowly)