Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1050 Ti - can it drive 4x 4K monitors at 60hz for non gaming?

Hi community!

I have a quad monitor set up on a 1050 Ti, and I'm thinking about upgrading it to 4k.

My GPU says "Digital max resolution = 7680x4320" and "HDMI-2.0b*3 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160
@ 60 Hz) and Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @ 60Hz) ".

Does it mean that it can drive a quad 4k set up at 60hz? No gaming of course, just desktop usage.

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, the first problem i see is VRAM. I am on a 1050ti and use ONE 1080p monitor, and my typical vRAM usage (no games, office apps and browsers, chat apps etc) is about 0.5 to 1 gb. considering 4k has 4 times as many pixels as full hd, and that you're running not one but FOUR monitors, id say that you can, but you REALLY shouldn't. If you run outta vram, you'll soft crash which is hella annoying. When running Cities:Skylines, for instance my vram usage is pegged at 3.9gb, and if i open more than like 3 browser tabs, my screen goes black for like 20 seconds and the game crashes. TLDR: you really shouldnt try to run this setup on a 1050ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

well, the first problem i see is VRAM. I am on a 1050ti and use ONE 1080p monitor, and my typical vRAM usage (no games, office apps and browsers, chat apps etc) is about 0.5 to 1 gb. considering 4k has 4 times as many pixels as full hd, and that you're running not one but FOUR monitors, id say that you can, but you REALLY shouldn't. If you run outta vram, you'll soft crash which is hella annoying. When running Cities:Skylines, for instance my vram usage is pegged at 3.9gb, and if i open more than like 3 browser tabs, my screen goes black for like 20 seconds and the game crashes. TLDR: you really shouldnt try to run this setup on a 1050ti

Thanks so much for your inputs!

I checked Task Manager, and I see my Dedicated GPU memory usage is at 1.3/4.0GB while I am running 4x 1080 monitors on web browsing and chat. 

Is this the VRAM usage you are talking about? Let's say if I do quad 4k - does the usage go up linearly? Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't confuse VRAM allocation with VRAM usage. A 1050 Ti is more than capable of driving 4x 4K monitors for desktop usage.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia RTX 2060, 16 GB 2400 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 34 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 34 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Don't confuse VRAM allocation with VRAM usage. A 1050 Ti is more than capable of driving 4x 4K monitors for desktop usage.

Thanks! From the spec that I quoted - do you think it can run at 60hz as well? Most GPU intensive thing I imagine I would be doing, would be play 4k videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1050ti cannot drive 4 monitors because there is no 1050ti with 4 ports that can do 4k output.

 

Sorry forgot the last part of my sentence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaslion said:

A 1050ti cannot drive 4 monitors because there is no 1050ti with 4 ports that can do 4k output.

 

Sorry forgot the last part of my sentence.

My spec has  "HDMI-2.0b*3 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160
@ 60 Hz) and Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @ 60Hz) "... is that a yes then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elvissey said:

My 1050 ti has 3x HDMI, 1x DP, and 1x DVI..

Edited I realized I forgot half my sentence. Also there is no 1050ti with triple hdmi? The most they have is 1x hdmi 1xdp and 2xdvi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Don't confuse VRAM allocation with VRAM usage. A 1050 Ti is more than capable of driving 4x 4K monitors for desktop usage.

my bad my bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Edited I realized I forgot half my sentence. Also there is no 1050ti with triple hdmi? The most they have is 1x hdmi 1xdp and 2xdvi.

Thanks for helping.. why do the port configs matter? Like, does it matter if I have 3xHDMI + 1xDP or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

Thanks for helping.. why do the port configs matter? Like, does it matter if I have 3xHDMI + 1xDP or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Yes very much so. Certain ports have certain limits on them. There is no 1050ti out in existance that is supposed to have more than 1 hdmi or 1 dp port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

No. It has a Dvi-D port, a hdmi port and a display port. Right in linke with the max of a single hdmi and/or a single dp port. The dvi ports can be multiple but they are not supposed to be 4k capable.

 

Nevermind. I saw the x3 after it. Yeah this will work. Hdmi ports are limited to 4k 60 which is fine. So go for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaslion said:

No. It has a Dvi-D port, a hdmi port and a display port. Right in linke with the max of a single hdmi and/or a single dp port. The dvi ports can be multiple but they are not supposed to be 4k capable.

it literally says HDMI*3....not sure if we are talking about the same thing??

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

Thanks! From the spec that I quoted - do you think it can run at 60hz as well? Most GPU intensive thing I imagine I would be doing, would be play 4k videos.

4K videos depend a lot on the Codec used and the CPU (if it must be software decoded.) Either way, as long as you have 4x connectors that can do 4K 60Hz, then there's no harm in just trying it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia RTX 2060, 16 GB 2400 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 34 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 34 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elvissey said:

it literally says HDMI*3....not sure if we are talking about the same thing??

Saw it later spec page was wonky for me but this will work 4x4k should be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×