1050 Ti - can it drive 4x 4K monitors at 60hz for non gaming?

Elvissey

Hi community!

I have a quad monitor set up on a 1050 Ti, and I'm thinking about upgrading it to 4k.

My GPU says "Digital max resolution = 7680x4320" and "HDMI-2.0b*3 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160
@ 60 Hz) and Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @ 60Hz) ".

Does it mean that it can drive a quad 4k set up at 60hz? No gaming of course, just desktop usage.

Thanks in advance!

well, the first problem i see is VRAM. I am on a 1050ti and use ONE 1080p monitor, and my typical vRAM usage (no games, office apps and browsers, chat apps etc) is about 0.5 to 1 gb. considering 4k has 4 times as many pixels as full hd, and that you're running not one but FOUR monitors, id say that you can, but you REALLY shouldn't. If you run outta vram, you'll soft crash which is hella annoying. When running Cities:Skylines, for instance my vram usage is pegged at 3.9gb, and if i open more than like 3 browser tabs, my screen goes black for like 20 seconds and the game crashes. TLDR: you really shouldnt try to run this setup on a 1050ti

2 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

well, the first problem i see is VRAM. I am on a 1050ti and use ONE 1080p monitor, and my typical vRAM usage (no games, office apps and browsers, chat apps etc) is about 0.5 to 1 gb. considering 4k has 4 times as many pixels as full hd, and that you're running not one but FOUR monitors, id say that you can, but you REALLY shouldn't. If you run outta vram, you'll soft crash which is hella annoying. When running Cities:Skylines, for instance my vram usage is pegged at 3.9gb, and if i open more than like 3 browser tabs, my screen goes black for like 20 seconds and the game crashes. TLDR: you really shouldnt try to run this setup on a 1050ti

Thanks so much for your inputs!

I checked Task Manager, and I see my Dedicated GPU memory usage is at 1.3/4.0GB while I am running 4x 1080 monitors on web browsing and chat. 

Is this the VRAM usage you are talking about? Let's say if I do quad 4k - does the usage go up linearly? Thanks in advance!

Don't confuse VRAM allocation with VRAM usage. A 1050 Ti is more than capable of driving 4x 4K monitors for desktop usage.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Don't confuse VRAM allocation with VRAM usage. A 1050 Ti is more than capable of driving 4x 4K monitors for desktop usage.

Thanks! From the spec that I quoted - do you think it can run at 60hz as well? Most GPU intensive thing I imagine I would be doing, would be play 4k videos.

A 1050ti cannot drive 4 monitors because there is no 1050ti with 4 ports that can do 4k output.

Sorry forgot the last part of my sentence.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

A 1050ti cannot drive 4 monitors because there is no 1050ti with 4 ports that can do 4k output.

Sorry forgot the last part of my sentence.

My spec has  "HDMI-2.0b*3 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160
@ 60 Hz) and Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @ 60Hz) "... is that a yes then?

1 minute ago, Elvissey said:

My 1050 ti has 3x HDMI, 1x DP, and 1x DVI..

Edited I realized I forgot half my sentence. Also there is no 1050ti with triple hdmi? The most they have is 1x hdmi 1xdp and 2xdvi.

5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

my bad my bad

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Edited I realized I forgot half my sentence. Also there is no 1050ti with triple hdmi? The most they have is 1x hdmi 1xdp and 2xdvi.

Thanks for helping.. why do the port configs matter? Like, does it matter if I have 3xHDMI + 1xDP or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

Thanks for helping.. why do the port configs matter? Like, does it matter if I have 3xHDMI + 1xDP or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Yes very much so. Certain ports have certain limits on them. There is no 1050ti out in existance that is supposed to have more than 1 hdmi or 1 dp port.

4 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

No. It has a Dvi-D port, a hdmi port and a display port. Right in linke with the max of a single hdmi and/or a single dp port. The dvi ports can be multiple but they are not supposed to be 4k capable.

Nevermind. I saw the x3 after it. Yeah this will work. Hdmi ports are limited to 4k 60 which is fine. So go for it.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

No. It has a Dvi-D port, a hdmi port and a display port. Right in linke with the max of a single hdmi and/or a single dp port. The dvi ports can be multiple but they are not supposed to be 4k capable.

it literally says HDMI*3....not sure if we are talking about the same thing??

15 minutes ago, Elvissey said:

Thanks! From the spec that I quoted - do you think it can run at 60hz as well? Most GPU intensive thing I imagine I would be doing, would be play 4k videos.

4K videos depend a lot on the Codec used and the CPU (if it must be software decoded.) Either way, as long as you have 4x connectors that can do 4K 60Hz, then there's no harm in just trying it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, Elvissey said:

it literally says HDMI*3....not sure if we are talking about the same thing??

Saw it later spec page was wonky for me but this will work 4x4k should be fine.