Need help choosing a laptop (for electrical engineering student) (Ignore this, theres not much useful info here)

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
17 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

ah, i didnt know abt the hinge issue.

alright, i know its dumb to ask this now and not at first, but do i really need a dGPU for my electircal engineering course? RN i use programs like teams, the ms office suite, a handful of other programs and MATlab. MATlab is the biggest resource hog. So do i really need a dGPU?

If that is all that will ever happen then no not really. Got any options for a ryzen 4000 laptop? They are often in sale right now and there are a fair few nice laptops with them for pretty cheap.

Hey guys. So as mentioned above, i need to get a laptop. Firstly, i REALLY wanted to go with ryzen 5000, but availability is terrible here. Also, i dont have many other options available in stores, and these laptops have similar specs. So, i need your guys help on which laptop would last the longest (durability), has the best battery life, and good thermals. Note that i dont really need more performance than this, although i would've happily taken ryzen 5000's 8c/16t any day of the week.

Do note that for me, all this laptops are priced within about 200$ of each other, so dont judge them based on price. For specs, click on the links provided. Prompt help would be greatly appreciated, as i need to get a laptop within the next few days.

So here are the laptops:

Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, Intel Core i7-10750H, 15.6" FHD, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Nvidia GTX1650Ti 4GB, Eng-Arb, Windows 10 Home, Onyx Black-[81Y40039AX]: Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

image.thumb.png.dc128b56e5e05feddf45f1d5bcdcebc8.png

Dell G5

Buy Dell G5 15 5500 i7-10750H, 16GB, 512GB SSD, GTX 1650 Ti 4GB Graphic, 15.6" FHD Gaming Laptop, Black online (jumbo.ae)

image.png.6fceb25a3d0ccf8aae40457fd2fa16c2.png

Acer Nitro 5

Shop Acer Nitro5 Laptop With 15.6-Inch Display, Core i7 Processer/16GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics Card/ DOS Obsidian black online in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and all UAE (noon.com)

Lenovo legion 5

Shop Lenovo Legion 5 15IMH05H Laptop With 15.6-Inch Display, Core i7 Processor/16GB RAM/256GB SSD + 1TB HDD/ DPS/ 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics Card Phantom Black Phantom/DOS Phantom Black online in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and all UAE (noon.com)

Intel + gpu will be very hot, keep that in mind.

A slim and light ryzen 5000 without gpu will be better on your back.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Intel + gpu will be very hot, keep that in mind.

A slim and light ryzen 5000 without gpu will be better on your back.

well, as i said before, i cant get ryzen 5000 here. i need good processing power and some gpu. keep in mind that the gpu wont be pegged all the time, only some workloads will use it, and that too lightly

The ideapad has poor thermals

The legion is the last gen legion that still has the hinge issue

The nitro 5 is "ok"

I mean all of these have poor battery life too so keep that in mind that about 2 hours is what you'll get at most.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The ideapad has poor thermals

The legion is the last gen legion that still has the hinge issue

The nitro 5 is "ok"

I mean all of these have poor battery life too so keep that in mind that about 2 hours is what you'll get at most.

alright, i know its dumb to ask this now and not at first, but do i really need a dGPU for my electircal engineering course? RN i use programs like teams, the ms office suite, a handful of other programs and MATlab. MATlab is the biggest resource hog. So do i really need a dGPU?

17 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

If that is all that will ever happen then no not really. Got any options for a ryzen 4000 laptop? They are often in sale right now and there are a fair few nice laptops with them for pretty cheap.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yes, i think i can find a few with a little bit more digging. anyways, thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, The_Tron said:

Yes, i think i can find a few with a little bit more digging. anyways, thanks for the help!

Post them here in a quote then I and others can have a look. There are a couple bad ones but most are ok to really nice.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Post them here in a quote then I and others can have a look. There are a couple bad ones but most are ok to really nice.

alright, but that might take some time