Which side of the 8-Pin cable goes into the 4-Pin CPU connector?

Novver
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Either side of the connector would work ... both parts are the same, 2 x 12v wires on one side, 2 x ground wires on the other side.

The connectors are keyed and IF the motherboard header is keyed as well, then  one part of the connector would be the obvious one.

If the header is not keyed, then you can plug either part of the connector.

You'll have to excuse my crude ms paint skills :

(universal , can go in any header...  I mean can go in any section of the EPS connector or the old P4 4 pin cpu power, or this 4 pin extra header ... not universal in the sense you could use with anything else, like video cards)

image.png.a69611380f3e4b8ba5f9d19a00e09c2a.png

Sooo. Might be a very stupid question, but..

I was in the process of putting the new rig together, and noticed, that the PSU cable, and the Corsair Pro Cable Kit one both can go in into the 4-Pin hole.

The 8 pin connector can be pulled to be 4 pin ones and i can put in both now-4pin-ones without a problem, even thoug the connectors itself have different plug shapes. Hope i make sense and it is understandable.

So i have 2 connectors (1 original, 1 Corsair Type4 Gen4 which is the correct one for my PSU HX1200)

2 slots. an 8-pin and a 4-pin

I can make a 4 pin out of an 8 pin

Which 4pin part of the 8 pin i put into the 4pin hole?

Can i put any of the 4pins into the 4pin or do i need a specific side of an 8pin?

Both parts go in without a problem as far as i can feel. I did not force them into it.

1884564099_20210515_1316201.jpg

347089247_20210515_1316391.jpg

20210515_131722.jpg

20210515_131657.jpg

Either side of the connector would work ... both parts are the same, 2 x 12v wires on one side, 2 x ground wires on the other side.

The connectors are keyed and IF the motherboard header is keyed as well, then  one part of the connector would be the obvious one.

If the header is not keyed, then you can plug either part of the connector.

You'll have to excuse my crude ms paint skills :

(universal , can go in any header...  I mean can go in any section of the EPS connector or the old P4 4 pin cpu power, or this 4 pin extra header ... not universal in the sense you could use with anything else, like video cards)

image.png.a69611380f3e4b8ba5f9d19a00e09c2a.png

Oh sweet. Was a bit worried when both of the sides just went in without a problem. Was wondering if i might fry the motherboard or CPU if i plug the wrong side in. Thanks!