Need Help choosing between Z490 Hero XII and Z590 Hero XIII

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,

1. Yes.

2. Only 1 slot, the one that is wired to the CPU PCIe lanes that 10th gen CPUs do not have.

3. Get the Z490. Dealing with the top M.2 slot not working is annoying, and you don't gain anything from Z590 vs. Z490.

So i have bought an i9 10900k and a 3060 Aurus elite 12gb. What i want to know is if i should go for the Z490 Hero XII or the Z590 Hero XIII, i know the CPU isnt pcie 4 so i plan on using 970 evo plus m.2 drives(2 of them). i am not an overclocker myself but would maybe look at giving it a little bit of a try in the future. i have heard that the first and or second m.2 slot on the hero XIII is disabled when you use a 10th gen CPU so here is my question bearing in mind i tend to overthink things. i also do not plan on upgrading to the 11th gen ever and, i want this build to last me a good few years.

1)Are the power connectors for the CPU on the Hero XII beafy enough to deal with an i9 10900k at say max clock because i know it can hit 275 watts at max clock.  (probably will never reach max clock with me, just a hypothetical.)

2)How many m.2 slots are disabled on the Hero XIII when you use a 10th gen CPU.

3)Am i better off with the Z490 Hero XII or the Z590 Hero XIII because i dont mind paying the extra £50 if its worth it.

4)Like i said before i am going to be using 970 Evo Pus m.2 drives, 1 tb for windows and a 2tb for general stuff. (im just a gamer, no video editing going on with me so i dont need the blinding speed of the 980 Pro)

1. Yes.

2. Only 1 slot, the one that is wired to the CPU PCIe lanes that 10th gen CPUs do not have.

3. Get the Z490. Dealing with the top M.2 slot not working is annoying, and you don't gain anything from Z590 vs. Z490.

elephants