So water spilled on our laptop. What i have to do?

Curesto

I don't know what exactly happened, but i'll try to explain what exactly happened what i heard of:

So, my brother and neighbours kids was playing around with water while laptop was on the table. After that, my mom found laptop little wet and some steam on the keys, most likely the moisure around keys. So, she said that she used the laptop and it was running completely fine then shutted it down while updating OS.

So, today it won't open. The battery light shines and battery is full.

Laptop is now completely dry and i didn't found any wetness around the computer. But somehow, laptop refuses to power up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's pictures of laptop:

IMG_20210515_134318_115.thumb.jpg.fabd197b20813a30d6105eaa14f7e918.jpg

IMG_20210515_134243_421.thumb.jpg.5bbd13fca011dbf8513761e41603bb33.jpg

IMG_20210515_134238_953.thumb.jpg.2ea5356a650cfcfe5462c96f26acad1e.jpg

IMG_20210515_140123_939.thumb.jpg.2a3cf788e4c37c5be46b15dae482f086.jpgIMG_20210515_134224_753.thumb.jpg.73c1913e9541998ae8ff6d9d078f10b2.jpg

Take out the latpop and let it dry. Just because you don't see water doesn't mean there isn't some left.

Leave if for AT LEAST 3 days and turn it around from time to time.

What you HAVE to do now is remove the battery and HOPE this thing will still work in a couple days after it has dried.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What you HAVE to do not is remove the battery

@jaslionCould you tell me the reason as to why you would not remove the battery? 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Take out the latpop and let it dry. Just because you don't see water doesn't mean there isn't some left.

Leave if for AT LEAST 3 days and turn it around from time to time.

What you HAVE to do not is remove the battery and HOPE this thing will still work in a couple days after it has dried.

Thanks. Battery is integrated inside so i couldn't take off the battery. What i'm thinking to do is dropping PC inside of bucket of rice to let it dry out. My cousin also was spilled bit amount coffee on his laptop and he said he did exact same thing to let it run again.

3 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

I dont know anything about computer electronics and that stuff. @jaslionCould you tell me the reason as to why you would not remove the battery? 

Moisture conducts electricity.

A battery stores electricity.

Therefor a connected battery will supply electricity to anything if given the chance to do so. So if the moisture shorts anything the battery will do as intended and provide electricity which can then result into frying of the laptop.

Basically think of what you were thought in elementary school. You wouldn't throw a toaster that is plugged into power into a bathtub full of water :p.

1 minute ago, Curesto said:

Thanks. Battery is integrated inside so i couldn't take off the battery. What i'm thinking to do is dropping PC inside of bucket of rice to let it dry out. My cousin also was spilled bit amount coffee on his laptop and he said he did exact same thing to let it run again.

You open up the laptop now. Right now it can be a firehazard and funny thing is rice burns pretty well.

2 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

I dont know anything about computer electronics and that stuff. @jaslionCould you tell me the reason as to why you would not remove the battery? 

I'm curious too 🙂 as to why. That's one of the first thing I thought of, take out the battery (although that's a difficult thing to do).

Laptop might be dead, shortcircuit.

I would have opened the laptop, and let it rest on its belly for days. Rice makes sense too in an enclosed space.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Moisture conducts electricity.

A battery stores electricity.

Therefor a connected battery will supply electricity to anything if given the chance to do so. So if the moisture shorts anything the battery will do as intended and provide electricity which can then result into frying of the laptop.

Basically think of what you were thought in elementary school. You wouldn't throw a toaster that is plugged into power into a bathtub full of water :p.

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What you HAVE to do not is remove the battery

Well you mentioned DO NOT remove the battery.. Typing error lol

He probably meant "What you HAVE to do now is remove the battery".

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

VPN Server Guide

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You wouldn't throw a toaster that is plugged into power into a bathtub full of water :p.

But you suggested OP to keep the battery connected? wat. That is like saying keep the toaster plugged into while it is inside the bathtub.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You open up the laptop now. Right now it can be a firehazard and funny thing is rice burns pretty well.

So i've dropped the laptop under the sun in hope to dry the wet out.

IMG_20210515_143858_720.thumb.jpg.ae1d10185a6cfd4e8cfd6bb03ac8bb7d.jpg

Just now, Curesto said:

So i've dropped the laptop under the sun in hope to dry the wet out.

IMG_20210515_143858_720.thumb.jpg.ae1d10185a6cfd4e8cfd6bb03ac8bb7d.jpg

You droped water on the keyboard, right ?

So you flip the laptop, right ?

19 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Well you mentioned DO NOT remove the battery.. Typing error lol

He probably meant "What you HAVE to do now is remove the battery".

Yup I meant now :p.

19 minutes ago, Levent said:

But you suggested OP to keep the battery connected? wat. That is like saying keep the toaster plugged into while it is inside the bathtub.

I made a typo it was meant to be now not not.

28 minutes ago, leclod said:

You droped water on the keyboard, right ?

So you flip the laptop, right ?

I didn't drop anything on it. I don't even know what exactly happened. I heard it sucked water from the table as kids were playing with water around the computer. And there's was moisure on the keys and my mom said she did cleaned it.

4 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I didn't drop anything on it. I don't even know what exactly happened. I heard it sucked water from the table as kids were playing with water around the computer. And there's was moisure on the keys and my mom said she did cleaned it.

That's weird. Suck water ? that'd be a lot of water then, laptop dead.

Moisture on the keys, for the water to go through the whole laptop upwards that'd be a lot of water, laptop dead.

6 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Laptops are not sponges nor have fans that have enough suction to "suck water from the table". If it worked for couple of days afterwards and died just now, I wouldnt get my hopes up on this thing running after a sunbathe. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, leclod said:

That's weird. Suck water ? that'd be a lot of water then, laptop dead.

Moisture on the keys, for the water to go through the whole laptop upwards that'd be a lot of water, laptop dead.

As i said, i didn't know what exactly happened. It was working fine on night just hours later after the spill. But, today it won't power up at all.

4 minutes ago, Curesto said:

As i said, i didn't know what exactly happened. It was working fine on night just hours later after the spill. But, today it won't power up at all.

Ok, I understand,

I'd say wait, I estimate your chance at 50%.

(I'd still try to open it though, I like to open things 🙂).

Edit : but you shouldn't have started it in the first place

2 minutes ago, leclod said:

Ok, I understand,

I'd say wait, I estimate your chance at 50%.

(I'd still try to open it though, I like to open things 🙂).

Edit : but you shouldn't have started it in the first place

I'm not using this computer. It mostly used by family members. I've learned that water spilled on it just hours before.

Just now, Curesto said:

I'm not using this computer. It mostly used by family members. I've learned that water spilled on it just hours before.

I can read,

For me, you, your mum or your brother is all you

If it doesn't work for couple days, we thinking about the sending it to service to fix it.

1 minute ago, Curesto said:

If it doesn't work for couple days, we thinking about the sending it to service to fix it.

If it doesn't work, the motherboard is probably dead. And if that's dead, the repair cost will be very expensive. I would expect atleast 50% of the cost at which you bought the device.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

VPN Server Guide

Just now, LTTfan2006 said:

If it doesn't work, the motherboard is probably dead. And if that's dead, the repair cost will be very expensive. I would expect atleast 50% of the cost at which you bought the device.

Then it's trash i think.

There's a probability that the keyboard got shorted, and you can't turn it on because power button is integrated with the keyboard. 

I'm not sure if this model come with CMOS battery or not. If not you can try to remove the battery, and then plug in your power brick. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

There's a probability that the keyboard got shorted, and you can't turn it on because power button is integrated with the keyboard. 

I'm not sure if this model come with CMOS battery or not. If not you can try to remove the battery, and then plug in your power brick. 

We left it under the rice, we'll try to power it up again tomorrow. Hope it works. 

The backplate covered with rivets i suppose. There's a 2 screws but i didn't tried to take them off. If i could access the motherboard, i'll look straight to taking off the CMOS battery.