Need Help Choosing Parts for My New PC! Any Help Appreciated.

Before saying anything, I'd just like to say that I'm very UNexperienced in pc building and general stuff so ANY help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Budget (including currency): 3000USD (I still haven't fully saved up yet, and might not be able to get all the money until like half a year or so haha)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for gaming, video/image editing (Adobe Softwares like AE and PS), streaming/recording in high fps, multitasking, general work, etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Only looking to build a pc. No peripherals or anything needed.

My current build is a pre-built:

i7-8700

GTX 1660ti

16GB RAM

FYI, I definitely want a better pc than the one I have right now although I know my current pc isn't TOO bad.

Since this pc is going to be pretty much my dream/best build, I want some pretty good specs like

- the new RTX 3000s series?

- And I'm also thinking to switch from Intel to Ryzen as well. I also heard that Ryzen was releasing a new CPU? But I honestly don't know. As I said, I'm completely unexperienced in the area of pc building and general stuff.

- 32GB of ram would be cool! (4x8gb or 2x16gb I don't really care).

- I want a white-themed and maybe some RGB in a few places to make it look clean. 

- I was thinking to get a Lian Li O11 Dynamic White, but I'm not sure if it's good.

- I saw the Corsair LL120 RGB white triple fan kit and I honestly fell in love with them, but I heard corsair products were generally expensive so some advice on that would be great too.

- I have no idea what makes a good motherboard and what's compatible with the things I want, so I haven't decided on them yet.

- I'd love quite some storage since I do a lot of high fps recordings on my pc which tends to take up a lot of storage as well as games and such. But not like a CRAZY amount. Just a decent amount.

I don't know what else I need to say. I'll be on this forum for quite a bit from now so I should be replying to anyone pretty quickly (although I don't know if anyone WILL even help me haha) but once again, I appreciate any help and I can't be more thankful. You guys are awesome and hope you have a wonderful rest of your day 🙂

In my opinion I'd stick with what you have for now and hold out until PC part prices are back to normal. That would give you time to save up for a decent custom rig and you'd still be able to achieve a good gaming experience with your current rig until prices go back to normal. I know you really really want to upgrade but prices are up because of the shortage of chips, meaning you might not be able to get your desired computer spec right now anyway.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

Just now, xriqn said:

In my opinion I'd stick with what you have for now and hold out until PC part prices are back to normal. That would give you time to save up for a decent custom rig and you'd still be able to achieve a good gaming experience with your current rig until prices go back to normal. I know you really really want to upgrade but prices are up because of the shortage of chips, meaning you might not be able to get your desired computer spec right now anyway.

Ah understood! Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll definitely take that into consideration and will probably do that too.

I agree with what was said before. Though you could be fine if you sold your PC. The graphics card shortage also made it easier to sell your graphics card, and they're sold at a good price.

For gaming, any recent middle range / high end CPU will get you by (Intel i5 and up and ryzen 5 and up). For productivity though, generally the more cores the better. So any ryzen 9 of the last generation is a great choice. Adobe premiere will benefit from a high core count. After effects not so much (yet). For After Effects it's good to have 32GB of ram, ideally even more. This software can never get enough RAM so it's only up to how much your budget allows you to have. Have a look at the Puget Systems website if you want to know more, they do detailed recommendations for many content creation softwares.

For storage you should look into a case that allows you more than two 3.5" hard drives so you can expand when needed.

The Lian li O11 looks great indeed, especially for water cooled builds.

For the motherboard I would look at the following questions:

- first of all, is the board compatible with the case you plan to use (ATX, mATX, EATX format. It's all about the size)

- is the board compatible with the CPU (Will the CPU fit on the socket and is it compatible with the chipset?)

- does it have good connectivity at the back (will you be able to connect all your peripherals?)

- USB C is very good to have both on the back panel and as a header for the front panel

- WI-FI is a little bonus but not so important cause you can get a cheap little usb dongle if needed

- does the board have good VRMs? (It's the components that supply your cpu with current. Long story short the more high end your cpu is, the more current it needs so you need good VRMs)

A good graphics card will be good for gaming but usually not so critical for productivity imo.

Just some thoughts for now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($421.05 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($248.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($226.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB ROG STRIX WHITE OC Video Card  ($1200.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($58.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $3075.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-15 08:39 EDT-0400

CPU is a great 8 core CPU, AMD Ryzen 5000 Series like you asked.

CPU Cooler is 360mm, Corsair so it has amazing quality and is White and RGB.

Motherboard is white, RGB and X570 from Asus.

Memory is 32GB of white, rgb DDR4-3200 and CL16 Corsair RAM, so its great.

Storage is a 1TB 8GB/s nVME drive from Samsung.

For the GPU get a 3070 or 3080 that's less then $1200 (you'd probably prefer white)

Case is a good quality big RGB and white case from Corsair, so again, top quality.

Fans are LL series like you asked for.

Also included a Commander Pro for fan control.

2 hours ago, arialfx said:

Budget (including currency): 3000USD (I still haven't fully saved up yet, and might not be able to get all the money until like half a year or so haha)

budget in Yen? also id encourage saving all the money and then properly planning the build. 

putting aside the horrible GPU market. 

also, link to retailer?

In my honest opinion don't build a pc now. Prices of all parts especially gpu are very high and you will not get that much performance to dollar. Save your money till prices come down.