Speed test is fine but im lagging in game?

efan

i just bought my first pc and it came with a wireless card with an antenna. i did a speedtest and im getting a solid 40 down, but in multiple games i lag to the point where its unplayable. is there a way that i can fix this?

2 minutes ago, efan said:

i just bought my first pc and it came with a wireless card with an antenna. i did a speedtest and im getting a solid 40 down, but in multiple games i lag to the point where its unplayable. is there a way that i can fix this?

Download speed isn't what you want to focus on. It's ping, the measure of latency. Try using wired ethernet first. WiFi isn't the best in terms of latency, especially more basic WiFi cards.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Download speed isn't what you want to focus on. It's ping, the measure of latency. Try using wired ethernet first. WiFi isn't the best in terms of latency, especially more basic WiFi cards.

i would but ethernet isnt an option i can go with. would a wifi usb dongle work better than the card that came installed?

Just now, efan said:

i would but ethernet isnt an option i can go with. would a wifi usb dongle work better than the card that came installed?

It would be worse. The preinstalled card would most likely be PCIe or at worst PCI based which would be far better than USB solutions. There isn't much incentive to make a really good USB WiFi adapter and USB in general isn't an ideal interface for such an application. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, efan said:

i would but ethernet isnt an option i can go with

Then enjoy said inconsistent internet performance, or you can try to move your wifi to an empty channels and hope that it actually does something. Speed tests defaults to place thats super close to you and does not reflects real world throughput nor latency.

3 minutes ago, efan said:

would a wifi usb dongle work better than the card that came installed?

Itll be the same, and imo EVEN WORSE as now the wifi needs to negotiate through a smaller data link of USB instead of pcie.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It would be worse. The preinstalled card would most likely be PCIe or at worst PCI based which would be far better than USB solutions. There isn't much incentive to make a really good USB WiFi adapter and USB in general isn't an ideal interface for such an application. 

its a realtek rtl8821ce. i guess it's m.2 based? im not sure. would getting a better antenna help my situation maybe? not sure what antenna they gave me but it's an asus one with no model number or anything. 

Make sure the signal is strong and consistent and you can try to update the drivers for the wifi card. Maybe get a better one if it's a bad one.

42 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Make sure the signal is strong and consistent and you can try to update the drivers for the wifi card. Maybe get a better one if it's a bad one.

do you have any recommendations? i tried doing some research on new ones but i’m not sure what to look for. i have an AMD system if that helps at all. 

2 hours ago, efan said:

its a realtek rtl8821ce.

That adapter has a single spatial stream, which will theoretically perform worse than an alternative with double spatial streams. Most Intel adapters are at least 2x2, such as the AX200.

2 hours ago, efan said:

do you have any recommendations? i tried doing some research on new ones but i’m not sure what to look for.

A new wireless adapter isn't guaranteed to improve performance, especially if your wireless settings on the router aren't tuned properly or there's lots of interference in your area... The new adapter will still have to put up with the same challenges.

Open the laptop to verify the form factor of the card and the number of antenna connectors it has. I'm looking at the Realtek adapter you mentioned and, while it's a standard M.2 adapter with A and E keys, it only has 1 antenna support (explains the 1x1). If you have an extra pigtail connector for the WiFi antennae, then an Intel AX200 should work. If not, the AX200 will not be able to function as 2x2, putting you in a similar situation as the Realtek.

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

That adapter has a single spatial stream, which will theoretically perform worse than an alternative with double spatial streams. Most Intel adapters are at least 2x2, such as the AX200.

A new wireless adapter isn't guaranteed to improve performance, especially if your wireless settings on the router aren't tuned properly or there's lots of interference in your area... The new adapter will still have to put up with the same challenges.

Open the laptop to verify the form factor of the card and the number of antenna connectors it has. I'm looking at the Realtek adapter you mentioned and, while it's a standard M.2 adapter with A and E keys, it only has 1 antenna support (explains the 1x1). If you have an extra pigtail connector for the WiFi antennae, then an Intel AX200 should work. If not, the AX200 will not be able to function as 2x2, putting you in a similar situation as the Realtek.

it’s a desktop with an asus a320m motherboard so shouldn’t it work fine? also will this one work with my amd system? 

12 minutes ago, efan said:

it’s a desktop with an asus a320m motherboard so shouldn’t it work fine? also will this one work with my amd system? 

Open the computer case and locate the physical wireless adapter.

Determine if it is part of a PCIe card or attached to an M.2 slot in the motherboard.

Whether you have an AMD CPU or Intel CPU shouldn’t matter.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Open the computer case and locate the physical wireless adapter.

Determine if it is part of a PCIe card or attached to an M.2 slot in the motherboard.

Whether you have an AMD CPU or Intel CPU shouldn’t matter.

it looks like it’s attached the the pcie1_2 slot. i can’t get a good picture of inside the case but i attached a picture from the motherboard and circled where it’s located. 

42425143-9DF1-4023-BCB2-84847183FCAB.jpeg

@efan

Before you go out and buy a new adapter, please do ALL of the following:

1. Download the Realtek driver (WLAN and BT), uninstall the current version and install what you downloaded. Test responsiveness in games.
  2. Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer. Post the channel analysis screenshots from the 'Analyze' page for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Also post a screenshot of your wireless router's settings page (hide passwords, of course!). Will allow us to see if any optimization can be made.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:49 AM, efan said:

do you have any recommendations? i tried doing some research on new ones but i’m not sure what to look for. i have an AMD system if that helps at all. 

Apologies for the late reply. Asus PCE-AC68 have worked excellent for the kid for around a year or so. Have heard zero complaints on that card. Not the most expensive either so there's also that. 🙂

On 5/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, Falcon1986 said:

@efan

Before you go out and buy a new adapter, please do ALL of the following:

1. Download the Realtek driver (WLAN and BT), uninstall the current version and install what you downloaded. Test responsiveness in games.
  2. Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer. Post the channel analysis screenshots from the 'Analyze' page for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Also post a screenshot of your wireless router's settings page (hide passwords, of course!). Will allow us to see if any optimization can be made.

ok a couple things, i checked the driver for the card and it said the driver date was 2019. not sure if thats when the driver was installed or if thats the date of the driver but the ones on the site you linked only go as recent as 2017. should i still download that driver? 

second, i ran the wifi analyzer, but (i think) at 5GHz it couldnt give me a rating so im not sure how to fix that. i posted screenshots of all this.

(edit) posted the screenshot of my router settings page. hope thats what you were wanting!

sorry for not being more informed about all this. im studying computer science but networking and all that is still so confusing to me sometimes.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 212232.png

Screenshot 2021-05-17 212255.png

Screenshot 2021-05-17 212404.png

Screenshot 2021-05-17 213508.png

16 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Apologies for the late reply. Asus PCE-AC68 have worked excellent for the kid for around a year or so. Have heard zero complaints on that card. Not the most expensive either so there's also that. 🙂

that looks great! ill definitely bookmark that one and consider it if i end up needing to buy a new one! thanks!

5 minutes ago, efan said:

ok a couple things, i checked the driver for the card and it said the driver date was 2019. not sure if thats when the driver was installed or if thats the date of the driver but the ones on the site you linked only go as recent as 2017. should i still download that driver? 

Windows Update will likely try to install more recent drivers that it has in its database. But you should be OK to install the drivers that came from the manufacturer.

8 minutes ago, efan said:

second, i ran the wifi analyzer, but (i think) at 5GHz it couldnt give me a rating so im not sure how to fix that. i posted screenshots of all this.

First of all, you’re connected to a 2.4GHz signal that is overlapping with another 2.4GHz signal. Maybe from a neighbour? When this happens, you will get intermittent slowdowns in your own WiFi’s performance.

You never told us what is the make/model of your wireless router/gateway to know if it supports using 5GHz instead. Because if it does, you can probably use 5GHz instead since that band is wide open.

If the 5GHz signal on channel 36 is yours, try connecting to it. However, it might be best to configure the router/gateway to use another free channel because I can notice at least 3 different signals occupying channel 36 which will cause interference.

25 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Windows Update will likely try to install more recent drivers that it has in its database. But you should be OK to install the drivers that came from the manufacturer.

First of all, you’re connected to a 2.4GHz signal that is overlapping with another 2.4GHz signal. Maybe from a neighbour? When this happens, you will get intermittent slowdowns in your own WiFi’s performance.

You never told us what is the make/model of your wireless router/gateway to know if it supports using 5GHz instead. Because if it does, you can probably use 5GHz instead since that band is wide open.

If the 5GHz signal on channel 36 is yours, try connecting to it. However, it might be best to configure the router/gateway to use another free channel because I can notice at least 3 different signals occupying channel 36 which will cause interference.

its a fios g1100 from what ive seen on google. it does support 5GHz as far as i know and when i check my network properties it says im connected to the 5GHz network. i just changed the 5GHz channel to channel 36. 

i have a bunch more available channel options in the router settings so am i able to connect to any of those that don't have other signals connected to it, or are the grayed out channels on the chart not available to me?

update: just checked the devices page and there's 3 devices connected to our 5ghz connection. 2 of which are our doorbell and my phone. i did a speedtest after switching to channel 36 and im getting well over 100 up/down (when i was at 30-40 before) so im going to hop in a game and let you know how the latency feels. also, do devices on the 2.4ghz network interfere with devices on the 5ghz network? we have a lot of devices connected to the 2.4ghz network.

9 hours ago, efan said:

i have a bunch more available channel options in the router settings so am i able to connect to any of those that don't have other signals connected to it, or are the grayed out channels on the chart not available to me?

Use a channel other than 36 set at the gateway. What the wireless card can detect/utilize might be way wider, but the gateway will determine what you can use.

9 hours ago, efan said:

also, do devices on the 2.4ghz network interfere with devices on the 5ghz network? we have a lot of devices connected to the 2.4ghz network.

No. It's a totally different frequency.

14 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Use a channel other than 36 set at the gateway. What the wireless card can detect/utilize might be way wider, but the gateway will determine what you can use.

No. It's a totally different frequency.

i think switching the channel might’ve solved all my issues! i didn’t get a single latency issue all last night and on top of that, the connection to my phone is even better! i might play around with different channels but as of right now everything’s super smooth. 

im definitely going to look into getting a different router soon though. i think that’d help connectivity issues for everything. 

thanks so much for your help and patience! you honestly have no idea how much stress you’ve saved me trying to figure it out on my own lol. 

@efan

Good to hear. If you found a channel that works well, leave it like that.

Some older 802.11n or even 802.11ac gadgets (like IoT appliances or smart TVs) will only “see” a signal on the lower 5GHz channels.

This is something you’ll have to check every 1-2 months to make sure your neighbours’ signal don’t encroach on your own. All it takes is a quick wireless survey. Unfortunately, because 2.4GHz is overutilized it has lots of interference, so steer clear of putting anything important on it. Low-priority devices that don’t use lots of data (e.g. IoT appliances) and legacy devices can use 2.4GHz.