Feeling HDD vibrations through my desk

Hey there! First post on this forum.

I just built a new PC myself and have a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB drive located in the bottom of my case (Phanteks P500-A DRGB) and when the drive ramps up I can feel the vibrations throughout my desk and it gets very annoying as I can constantly feel it when using my mouse and keyboard.

I was a first time builder and the instructions included in the phanteks case weren't very clear with how to mount Hard drives but I did not see any rubber washers or anything to prevent this vibration. So if anyone is familiar with the case and can help me with mounting or knows anyway to lessen these vibrations or make them so I can't feel them that'd be great.

The drive is completely new and was order just over a few weeks ago. Would prefer not to have to return it as that's a hassle due to it being online and covid shutdowns where I live. So solutions on the drive itself is preferred otherwise I might just get rid of it

Just a note, I don't mind the noise. I can barely hear it as is so I'm only really looking for a solution on how to stop myself from feeling these vibrations (Preferably not just putting the computer on the floor as I have carpet and cats)

Any help is welcome and appreciated!

Considering the mounting solution for 3.5" drives in that setup, I'd run it with the door off.  When the HDD ramps up, see if it's the entire mount cage vibrating or just the drive within the cage.  If just the drive within the cage, maybe you can adjust the anti-vibration mounts.  If it's the entire cage, you might want to discuss with Phanteks customer support.

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Considering the mounting solution for 3.5" drives in that setup, I'd run it with the door off.  When the HDD ramps up, see if it's the entire mount cage vibrating or just the drive within the cage.  If just the drive within the cage, maybe you can adjust the anti-vibration mounts.  If it's the entire cage, you might want to discuss with Phanteks customer support.

I can feel it when I put my hand on the case. Much more prominent if I put it underneath

I don't see any vibration damping for those cages.  I think those are just washers for the screws, not rubber.  May want to insert some foam pads under the cage maybe if what Piney says doesn't work.

Or put rubber pads under the feet of the case between it and your desk?

There are a few ways to isolate the PC and/or drive cage but I'd look at official ways first thru Phanteks.

Are those the only places to mount a 3.5" drive?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I don't see any vibration damping for those cages.  I think those are just washers for the screws, not rubber.  May want to insert some foam pads under the cage maybe if what Piney says doesn't work.

There are a few ways to isolate the PC and/or drive cage but I'd look at official ways first thru Phanteks.

Mmm...that's a shame.  Thought they might be anti-vibration mounts.  You can buy those separately though.

It came with two drive mounts that connect directly metal to metal with the bottom of the case. I couldn't find a way to mount it otherwise. It's also possible that I mounted it wrong which is making the vibrations worse, But either way I've speaked with people who are having the same issue and there was no included rubber washers or screws with the case or drive mounts.

Only drives i've had go bad on me are seagate drives. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Just now, Action_Johnson said:

Only drives i've had go bad on me are seagate drives. 

It's a brand new drive and I ran some tests using seagates software and it seems to be running fine. Could just have been unlucky and got a rough one out of the box

15 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Yea just felt it, The mount is clearly vibrating as well and considering it's just metal on metal I can't imagine that'd help

22 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

It came with two drive mounts that connect directly metal to metal with the bottom of the case. I couldn't find a way to mount it otherwise. It's also possible that I mounted it wrong which is making the vibrations worse, But either way I've speaked with people who are having the same issue and there was no included rubber washers or screws with the case or drive mounts.

13 minutes ago, MemesHq said:

Mmm...unless you want to dig out a welding torch, I'm not sure there's many other items that can help.  Perhaps Phanteks has a better idea.

27 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Mmm...unless you want to dig out a welding torch, I'm not sure there's many other items that can help.  Perhaps Phanteks has a better idea.

Sent them an email. Hoping they have a solution. If not might just sell the drive to a friend and get another SSD for that extra space, Quieter,faster and no annoying vibrations that way lmao

Update to this thread:

I went in and remounted the Hard drive cage today. Seems as though one of the little legs that mounts it to the bottom of the case wasn't aligned causing it to vibrate against the metal and not allowing the rubberized pads to make contact with the case itself.

Assuming that allowed the slight vibration to travel along the metal and causing the annoying vibration feeling I had.

Ran a few tests and played some games off the HDD itself and it is much more bearable, can still feel vibration if I put my hand on the bottom of the case but so far hasn't spread to a point where it ruins any experience I have using the computer. Might not be great for keeping the hard drive in good health for long periods of time. But at that point I'll upgrade to another SSD.

Seems to be fixed for now, Will leave another update if I continue to have the same issue I was having the last few days! Thank you everyone who came here and left some helpful comments!

32 minutes ago, MemesHq said:

Update to this thread:

I went in and remounted the Hard drive cage today. Seems as though one of the little legs that mounts it to the bottom of the case wasn't aligned causing it to vibrate against the metal and not allowing the rubberized pads to make contact with the case itself.

Assuming that allowed the slight vibration to travel along the metal and causing the annoying vibration feeling I had.

Ran a few tests and played some games off the HDD itself and it is much more bearable, can still feel vibration if I put my hand on the bottom of the case but so far hasn't spread to a point where it ruins any experience I have using the computer. Might not be great for keeping the hard drive in good health for long periods of time. But at that point I'll upgrade to another SSD.

Seems to be fixed for now, Will leave another update if I continue to have the same issue I was having the last few days! Thank you everyone who came here and left some helpful comments!

Well within 30 minutes had the same issue. Clearly the mount wasn't the issue, Sorta done with this lmao