Steam Kills my download speeds until i turn off my pc

Cant blame my internet because instantly after turning off and on then my download doubles and sometimes quadruples because steam.

Get 3MB/s usually because i live in rural part of my country and internets slow, but after an hour or two then it drops to 100-750KB/s until i turn off my pc and turn it back on and its done this for awhile and its annoying.

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

Here you go. Remember that a BIG "B" = 8x little "b". So if I get 25Mb/s from my ISP then that is only 3.125MB/s in steam.

image.png.6dc6cf76faddb38b68e5730e00ffc2aa.png

image.png.40243c851d146d1614e82035caa56f2c.png

4 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Here you go. Remember that a BIG "B" = 8x little "b". So if I get 25Mb/s from my ISP then that is only 3.125MB/s in steam.

I dont think this should be the issue considering it only throttles after awhile. Worth checking tho

Another thing Thermal throttling can also choke up download speeds, but really shouldnt affect it at this low of a speed anyway.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

6 minutes ago, CWALD said:

I know the difference between bits and bytes.

it throttled for at least an hour before i reset my pc because i was busy and left it to download and i canty leave stuff to download overnight like my Xbox because it doesn't download fast enough.

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

1 minute ago, Tom_Bombadil said:

I know the difference between bits and bytes.

Good to know 👍, I work with people that don't so I never assume.

Have you gotten any new updates lately? I had one once that killed all of my network interfaces 2min after connecting. Rolling back the driver worked for me in that case.

Might also open task manager to see how much traffic it is reporting, might show another program eating a bunch or it could verify your speed in steam. 

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

Good to know 👍, I work with people that don't so I never assume.

Have you gotten any new updates lately? I had one once that killed all of my network interfaces 2min after connecting. Rolling back the driver worked for me in that case.

Might also open task manager to see how much traffic it is reporting, might show another program eating a bunch or it could verify your speed in steam. 

Nope, been happening for months to me and it just requires me to turn off my pc because I tried removing my WiFi single but it doesn't help. 

My pc is idling while I have only steam and ltt forum open and my monitors are off except one. 

When you say that you removed the wifi signal, do you mean that you turned off the router, your wifi interface, or just disconnected?

11 minutes ago, CWALD said:

When you say that you removed the wifi signal, do you mean that you turned off the router, your wifi interface, or just disconnected?

Removed dongle from USB 3 port and plugged it back in. 

6 minutes ago, Tom_Bombadil said:

Removed dongle from USB 3 port and plugged it back in. 

Ok,

1. when it slows down, does the dongle feel warm or hot? I have had old cheap ones quit after running constantly for an extended period (like downloads) due to heat and one even melted.

2. I would recommend looking up the manufacturer of the dongle and making sure you are using there latest driver and not the one that windows auto assigns.

3. The next time it slows down, try restarting the interface through the control panel before powering down. It may not save you time but it could help narrow down the issue.

4. Just for giggles, you might try restarting your router. I doubt it is the problem but it costs nothing to try.

10 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Ok,

1. when it slows down, does the dongle feel warm or hot? I have had old cheap ones quit after running constantly for an extended period (like downloads) due to heat and one even melted.

2. I would recommend looking up the manufacturer of the dongle and making sure you are using there latest driver and not the one that windows auto assigns.

3. The next time it slows down, try restarting the interface through the control panel before powering down. It may not save you time but it could help narrow down the issue.

4. Just for giggles, you might try restarting your router. I doubt it is the problem but it costs nothing to try.

No, the dongle doesn't heat up and its near the exhaust fan, meaning it's usually cold. 

The drivers are fine and I updated it awhile back. 

Router isn't affected by me turning off my pc, so I don't see why that would matter. 

2 minutes ago, Tom_Bombadil said:

No, the dongle doesn't heat up and its near the exhaust fan, meaning it's usually cold. 

The drivers are fine and I updated it awhile back. 

Router isn't affected by me turning off my pc, so I don't see why that would matter. 

The router can be affected by devices disconnecting and reconnecting, I also doubt it is causing the issue but could be worth a shot.

Is there any way you could connect to the router through a cable, even if it is only temporary as a test? This would tell us if the issue is actually with the wifi or applications.

Short of a wired connection, you might also try another wifi dongle if you have one handy.

At this point I am starting to run out of ideas. For the application level I would still recommend checking task manager for background processes using bandwidth and maybe reinstalling steam?

8 hours ago, CWALD said:

The router can be affected by devices disconnecting and reconnecting, I also doubt it is causing the issue but could be worth a shot.

Is there any way you could connect to the router through a cable, even if it is only temporary as a test? This would tell us if the issue is actually with the wifi or applications.

Short of a wired connection, you might also try another wifi dongle if you have one handy.

At this point I am starting to run out of ideas. For the application level I would still recommend checking task manager for background processes using bandwidth and maybe reinstalling steam?

No, my walls are thick stone and it's far. 

8 minutes ago, Tom_Bombadil said:

No, my walls are thick stone and it's far. 

Well that sucks, I don't know what to tell you then. If you have a weak signal then maybe try a repeater? I'm kinda grasping at straws at this point though. 

With this many replies, others may think your problem is solved. It may be easier to make a new post for someone else to try helping.

Best of luck.