Gaming with Dolby Vision? Xbox Insiders are now testing Dolby Vision on the Xbox Series X and S consoles

BondiBlue

Summary

Xbox Insiders who are members of the Alpha ring are now able to test Dolby Vision support on the Xbox Series X and S consoles. Currently the consoles only support HDR10, but Dolby Vision support has been known since before the consoles were released. Additionally, Dolby is working with TV manufacturers to enable Dolby Vision support in 4K at 120Hz.

Quotes

"We’ve known Microsoft’s current generation of Xboxes would support Dolby’s HDR standard since before the consoles’ release. Last September, Dolby announced that they’d be “the first consoles to support the Dolby Vision HDR format with dynamic metadata for gaming.” Sony’s PS5, meanwhile, currently does not support Dolby Vision." - The Verge

My thoughts

As someone who only plays console games very casually it isn't something I'm very interested in, but it's interesting nonetheless. This isn't the first time Dolby Vision has been available for Alpha members; in March the feature rolled out to Alpha users, but it was removed after a few days. 

Sources

The Verge article: Alpha ring members testing Dolby Vision on Series X and S

Forbes article: Dolby working with TV manufacturers to support Dolby Vision in 4K at 120Hz

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Sounds cool. Next step: Xbox with Dolby Atmos lol

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

8 hours ago, Dominik W said:

Sounds cool. Next step: Xbox with Dolby Atmos lol

Xbox has had dolby atmos since Xbox One X? Possibly before that.

Hm, what about Microsoft's auto HDR thing they were talking about? Is that related to Dolby Vision in any way or entirely separate thing?

On 5/15/2021 at 4:02 AM, BondiBlue said:

Summary

Xbox Insiders who are members of the Alpha ring are now able to test Dolby Vision support on the Xbox Series X and S consoles. Currently the consoles only support HDR10, but Dolby Vision support has been known since before the consoles were released. Additionally, Dolby is working with TV manufacturers to enable Dolby Vision support in 4K at 120Hz.

Quotes

My thoughts

As someone who only plays console games very casually it isn't something I'm very interested in, but it's interesting nonetheless. This isn't the first time Dolby Vision has been available for Alpha members; in March the feature rolled out to Alpha users, but it was removed after a few days. 

Sources

The Verge article: Alpha ring members testing Dolby Vision on Series X and S

Forbes article: Dolby working with TV manufacturers to support Dolby Vision in 4K at 120Hz

Microsoft pushing features hard. I hope they don't get beaten as mercilessly as they were in the previous console generation