Ryzen 7 5800x w/RTX 3060 Ti Or RX 6700 Xt?

I have been doing a lot more research and based on what everyone's saying from my previous posts, the Ryzen 7 5800x cpu will provide enough for me and more, rather than going over, overkill with a 5900x. I've also done some research on 2 combos- Ryzen 7 5800x w/3060Ti or Ryzen 7 5800x w/Radeon RX 6700 Xt. Which GPU should I get to go with my CPU? Thank you!

If you are judging by MSRP pricing the 3060 ti is a way better value

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, davemc said:

If you are judging by MSRP pricing the 3060 ti is a way better value

I'm going to get a pre built, though I wanted to build my own, I'm not patient person lol. 

12 minutes ago, Percival2644 said:

I'm going to get a pre built, though I wanted to build my own, I'm not patient person lol. 

I read the other thread you posted, I would still consider the 5900x if I were you, the 5800x really is priced kind of bad compared to its value. You get 4 more cores for a hundred bucks with the 5900x. That sounds fantastic if you are thinking of using the system for a long time. I would personally go with that. Then again, money is money.

21 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

I read the other thread you posted, I would still consider the 5900x if I were you, the 5800x really is priced kind of bad compared to its value. You get 4 more cores for a hundred bucks with the 5900x. That sounds fantastic if you are thinking of using the system for a long time. I would personally go with that. Then again, money is money.

I’m not to sure, as even if I do get the 5900x, just seems a bit too over kill. Also,  another cpu might release in the next few years, that out beats it, etc. Even if it’s 4 cores less, it still is great for gaming. Also, what gpu would you recommend for both 5900x and 5800x, maybe one of the ones I listed above? 

8 minutes ago, Percival2644 said:

I’m not to sure, as even if I do get the 5900x, just seems a bit too over kill. Also,  another cpu might release in the next few years, that out beats it, etc. Even if it’s 4 cores less, it still is great for gaming. Also, what gpu would you recommend for both 5900x and 5800x, maybe one of the ones I listed above? 

Yeah, it is kind of overkill for games right now. That's true. But it might not be in 5 years time, if it was still your intention to future-proof the machine you're building, and only change the GPU in the middle. Then again, trying to "future-proof" any machine is a fools errand in the sense that nobody knows what leaps and bounds might happen in the future. I don't think the 5800x is a bad choice as far as performance itself goes, just that it's price / performance ratio leaves a lot to be desired.

For the GPU's, what resolution monitor are you using? Both of those you listed would work well with 1080p, I guess with 1440p too. The nvidia one has more features as you might know.

1 hour ago, Stockholmes said:

Yeah, it is kind of overkill for games right now. That's true. But it might not be in 5 years time, if it was still your intention to future-proof the machine you're building, and only change the GPU in the middle. Then again, trying to "future-proof" any machine is a fools errand in the sense that nobody knows what leaps and bounds might happen in the future. I don't think the 5800x is a bad choice as far as performance itself goes, just that it's price / performance ratio leaves a lot to be desired.

For the GPU's, what resolution monitor are you using? Both of those you listed would work well with 1080p, I guess with 1440p too. The nvidia one has more features as you might know.

Yes I shall think about that more for the cpu, thanks! I’m using a 1080p at 144hrz monitor, and based on previous research, the rtx 3060 ti is a great gpu for the time being.

1 hour ago, Percival2644 said:

Yes I shall think about that more for the cpu, thanks! I’m using a 1080p at 144hrz monitor, and based on previous research, the rtx 3060 ti is a great gpu for the time being.

Then that GPU sounds fantastic! 🙂 

There is an argument to be made for the 5800x.

1. The 5800x is still cheaper than the 5900x in absolute terms, meaning more money for other components. If you want value go for the 5600x.

2. 8 cores is what developers will be targetting for gaming because of the consoles. 12 is overkill for gaming, even for future proofing.

3. All 8 cores are located on the same CCX, using the same cache. Currently the 5900x is fine because you don't really need more than 6 cores for games, but using 8 will introduce latency between chiplets/cache.

8 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

There is an argument to be made for the 5800x.

1. The 5800x is still cheaper than the 5900x in absolute terms, meaning more money for other components. If you want value go for the 5600x.

2. 8 cores is what developers will be targetting for gaming because of the consoles. 12 is overkill for gaming, even for future proofing.

3. All 8 cores are located on the same CCX, using the same cache. Currently the 5900x is fine because you don't really need more than 6 cores for games, but using 8 will introduce latency between chiplets/cache.

I see. So I should go with the 5800x for now as it is perfect for gaming with the new standard 8 cores, etc. correct? Also what GPU recommendation for it? I’m planning for it to go with the RTX 3060 Ti

Can't go wrong with either the 3060 Ti or the 6700xt, they are very close. The 3060 Ti would be nice if you want to try out ray tracing at some point. As for DLSS vs Image Sharpening it is hard to tell which will end up being better, but nVidia has a big head start. The extra VRAM on the 6700xt is only really useful for high resolution (4K) gaming in situations where it is not really powerful enough anyway.

44 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Can't go wrong with either the 3060 Ti or the 6700xt, they are very close. The 3060 Ti would be nice if you want to try out ray tracing at some point. As for DLSS vs Image Sharpening it is hard to tell which will end up being better, but nVidia has a big head start. The extra VRAM on the 6700xt is only really useful for high resolution (4K) gaming in situations where it is not really powerful enough anyway.

I agree. Both are great cards. I would tend to lean more towards nvidia if you are going to be streaming or recording. The nvenc encoder is great and amd doesn't have anything like it that I am aware of.