OS IN CARS

Yash.

*NOOB ALERT*

What are the operating systems used in cars?

Can somebody pls name as many of them as possible

Does anybody have experience using different kinds of them what are the roughedges they currently have over something like a tesla also why are they better than tesla's os 

Are they visually distinguishable ?

Coz i suppose all manufacturers use different skins for different cars and stuff..

i know and have virtually seen a couple of them like android automotive, there is also a automotive grade linux 

*Speculative but....*

Will andorid automotive be the os on the other side of teslas os like andorid is on the other side of ios?

are they cross compatible with different hardware infrastructure they prolly wouldnt be coz that doesn't happen on pcs to like arm and x86 have to have different os' even if they are superficially the same

What kind of embedded systems do current cars use?

Arm realsed a auto focused system, 

Hyundai announced a partnership with nvidia 

Volkswagen has set out to make its software but if internet articles are anything to go by they are struggling

I suppose unlike a desktop os an os in a car might also need to continually update info from sensors am i correct or are there different sytems who manage that

Also do these os also support the mobile apps that certain companies have to go with their cars or is that a different thing

i think most os's are proprietary cuz they perform very basic functions like changing the radio station, or popping up a map from google maps

theyre probably cross compatible but i dont see a reason for anyone to attempt such a modification cuz theres nothing to gain out of it

lastly,in new cars where steering,brakes and acceleration are controlled to the computer(for stuff like object avoidance or automatic parking) those systems probably have no connection to the outside world and run seperate from the infotainment system for because of the security risks associated with wiring it to the outside world

(all of this could be wrong btw)

QNX was widely used, now I think Android has taken over.

No personal experience, I like my cars with manual transmissions and Weber carbs. (in other words, old)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

There was a car review from a while back and the car was running on Windows. It even had a Windows sticker around the center cup holder.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There was a car review from a while back and the car was running on Windows. It even had a Windows sticker around the center cup holder.

Depending on when it was it could have been Windows CE. I have an old GPS from the mid 2000s that runs Windows CE. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Depending on when it was it could have been Windows CE. I have an old GPS from the mid 2000s that runs Windows CE. 

Windows CE may be the OS it was running on because that review is from a long time ago.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

There isn't a single OS on the vehicle and everything is encapsulated through modules that have a specific task. The infotainment has an OS which on newer vehicles is usually a custom version of android. But besides that there's no OS at all or a customized and/or proprietary RTOS (real time operating system) on any of the other modules. Everything is linked together in some manner using a variety of data buses (mostly CANbus with LINbus being used for sub modules). The vast majority of the modules and sensors routed through the BCM (body control module). So your ambient air temperature sensor is typically wired through your BCM and then your infotainment will poll your BCM asking for the outside temperature to display on the system. Newer vehicles will have over 100 different modules each of which is responsible for single task. Even your window switches in newer vehicles are a module that sends a signal to your BCM to engage power to the window motor. Backup camera's and similar are usually routed through to an HMI module then to the BCM (IIRC) and then to the Infotainment (My credentials for GM's GMSi and TIS2Web, Alldata, and Ford motorcraft have all expired so I can't pull up the information.).

Basically the Infotainment has nothing to do with the rest of the car. It will request data from other modules but beyond that all it does is play music. It has an OS to make it easier for people to interact with it but the other modules have no such requirement.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

4 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Windows CE

There was a brief period in time where Microsoft was attempting to make the next Gen (and this was some time ago, mind you) be-all-end-all embedded OS for cars, GPS, gaming consoles, etc.

It was supposed to have the footprint of Windows CE

The user friendliness of Windows ME

and the stability of Windows NT

and it was going to bind everything together where you only needed 1 OS.

It was called Windows CEMENT 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 6:01 PM, NumLock21 said:

There was a car review from a while back and the car was running on Windows

"Windows update will restart your car in …24 seconds, please drive to the right side to stop and leave the car safely…"

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

For the past 5-6 years, the OS on most cars is either QNX or Android as mentioned by @Radium_Angel. Please note that these OSs are highly modified.

Honda uses Android

Toyota uses QNX

Some car manufacturers like Mercedes, does a lot of effort to hide the underlying OS and sold as in a in-house OS. Probably uses QNX, just highly modified.

That said, Tesla is powered by a custom Linux distro.

If your car has Android based OS, no you don't have Google Play store, and your are blocked from install side loading apps. This is for liability reasons. You should be focused on driving not watching videos or movies while driving, let alone text message. 

Windows used to exist in cars, in 2014, but this has been long gone. It's not Windows CE, but one for cars. It flopped. Similarly to Windows Phone, the biggest issue is the lack of customization interface that manufacturers wants to differentiate their product from other models that they sell, and competitors. OS name was Windows Embedded Automotive

Android Auto and Apple Car play support. You have license deals and you have exclusivity deals that occurs. For example, Toyota Corolla in Canada and US, specifically the 4 door model, is Apple Carplay only. The hatchback version, despite identical infotainment, same version, identical interior, has both.