Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friends can't connect to my Minecraft server.

So, I wanted to make a server for me and my friends. I have followed a lot of YouTube tutorials about how to make it and I still haven' found out why my friends aren't able to connect. I have, what I think, already made a correct port forwarding, yet it still can't be public.

 

What I've done:

- I have tried to use ngrok, no go

- I have rebooted both the internet and pc, no go

- set a static IP on my pc, no go (I'm not sure what static IP is, but I followed this tutorial)

- Remade the server, no go

 

What I know:

- Whenever I look up "what's my IP", it changes from time to time. I don't know whether this affects it or not? But, since people connect through here, I assume this is one of the possible culprits.

- The server is fine, I can connect it locally. Using an IPv4 address is fine, but using "localhost" won't let me connect (it did, but after I changed a bunch of things I suddenly can't connect through "localhost")

 

I really hit a dead end, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't really want to spend money on hosting severs, just because I know the ping would sucked. Since, I'm not really close to any good hosting server, so yea 100 constant ping is really a no go. I will attach my port forwarding settings, because the settings is different than the tutorials I have watched, so I want to confirm that I didn't make any mistakes here. If you need any additional information to help me, please just ask. I'm also open to Discord calls, since I really am confused of what I can do here.

 

Thank you very much!

asd.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

What does your public IP start with? Your ISP might be using CG-NAT which doesn't work well with port forwarding. CG-NAT is used when ISPs don't have enough public IP addresses. 

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neewer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

 

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS | Dell PowerEdge R210 II SCCM Server

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

What does your public IP start with? Your ISP might be using CG-NAT which doesn't work well with port forwarding. CG-NAT is used when ISPs don't have enough public IP addresses. 

158 is the first 3 digits, is it enough to determine whether it's a CG-NAT or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you made sure to allow the ports through your firewall? Could be the issue if you haven't already done so. Here's a link to a video I used when setting up an old minecraft server :

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PointFive said:

158 is the first 3 digits, is it enough to determine whether it's a CG-NAT or not?

I don't think that is CG-NAT. You said you followed the static IP address guide. I can see from the picture that you've assigned 192.168.2.233, shouldn't it be 192.168.1.X? 

 

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neewer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

 

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS | Dell PowerEdge R210 II SCCM Server

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

I don't think that is CG-NAT. You said you followed the static IP address guide. I can see from the picture that you've assigned 192.168.2.233, shouldn't it be 192.168.1.X? 

 

In one of the guide, it told me to put my IPv4 in the field of IP. And that is what I put. Should I put the default gateway? Since the default gateway ends in 1.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 2Step said:

Have you made sure to allow the ports through your firewall? Could be the issue if you haven't already done so. Here's a link to a video I used when setting up an old minecraft server :

 

Thanks for this, I have put in a new rule for my antivirus, both for TCP and UDP. Still hasn't changed.image.png.4f2202028f2dd153f37e8f5f9d308bf7.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be checked no? Just pointing it out to be sure you didn't accidentally miss checking it.

image.png.2c221f30ba446544f0d437fadd304a2c.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2Step said:

This has to be checked no? Just pointing it out to be sure you didn't accidentally miss checking it.

image.png.2c221f30ba446544f0d437fadd304a2c.png

I don't think so. After ticking and clicking apply it refreshes unticked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PointFive said:

Thanks for this, I have put in a new rule for my antivirus, both for TCP and UDP. Still hasn't changed.image.png.4f2202028f2dd153f37e8f5f9d308bf7.png

Also allowed this in Windows firewall, didn't budge

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PointFive said:

Also allowed this in Windows firewall, didn't budge

What is your ISP?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

 

 

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8) Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 10 Pro

 

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PorkishPig said:

What is your ISP?

MyRepublic, Indonesian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PointFive said:

MyRepublic, Indonesian.

@Sir Asvald hit the nail on the head. You are not assigned a unique IPv4 address. According to MyRepublic:

Quote

Static IP's are used whenever you need your internet address to not change. For most customers, a Dynamic IP is perfect.

We use CGNAT for our network, which means some advanced tasks may not work correctly.

Static IPs can be used if you’re looking to do one of the below tasks:

  • Game Server Hosting
  • Website Hosting
  • Port Forwarding
  • Devices that are reached by IP address (e.g. IP Security Cameras)
  • Remote access to home network (e.g Remote Desktop or Storage)
  • Dynamic DNS
  • Some VPN protocols

https://myrepublicnz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205248909-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-static-IPs

 

You need to contact MyRepublic and request a static IPv4 address. A single static IP is provided for free to residential customers who request one.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

 

 

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8) Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 10 Pro

 

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

@Sir Asvald hit the nail on the head. You are not assigned a unique IPv4 address. According to MyRepublic:

https://myrepublicnz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205248909-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-static-IPs

 

You need to contact MyRepublic and request a Static IP. A single static IP is provided for free to residential customers who request one.

Hmmm, its almost 10pm here. I'll try contacting them tomorrow. Thanks alot! In the mean time, I can't do anything since my other internet also has a dynamic IP. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

You need to contact MyRepublic and request a Static IP.

BTW are you sure that this is why it's not working and nothing else? Because it's gonna add to my monthly bill, but if it is the culprit I'll just subscribe since it's still less than renting a server (It's gonna cost me almost US$2 a month). Or is there any possible alternative?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PointFive said:

BTW are you sure that this is why it's not working and nothing else? Because it's gonna add to my monthly bill, but if it is the culprit I'll just subscribe since it's still less than renting a server

That's unfortunate, didn't notice that support article was for New Zealand.

12 minutes ago, PointFive said:

Or is there any possible alternative?

Generally, you want an IPv4 address for any public facing services. Some games straight up don't support IPv6.

 

There is an alternative, but it requires all clients connecting to your server to support IPv6. Since IPv6 addresses are a pain in the ass to enter, you can use DuckDNS to assign your IPv6 address to a subdomain. Do not assign an IPv4 address in DuckDNS.

 

If you want to check to make sure your ports are open, you can use http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py with your Minecraft server running.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

 

 

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8) Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 10 Pro

 

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 10:04 PM, PorkishPig said:

That's unfortunate, didn't notice that support article was for New Zealand.

That's alright man, thanks for the info. I have applied to get static IP, but it will apply after the 25th of may. So for now, I can't do anything but play the waiting game.

 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:04 PM, PorkishPig said:

There is an alternative, but it requires all clients connecting to your server to support IPv6. Since IPv6 addresses are a pain in the ass to enter, you can use DuckDNS to assign your IPv6 address to a subdomain. Do not assign an IPv4 address in DuckDNS.

 

If you want to check to make sure your ports are open, you can use http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py with your Minecraft server running.

I think this is a tad too complicated for my brain. This port forwarding is already confusing as it is haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×