CPU won't go over 800Mhz

ziv_h
Go to solution Solved by AMD A10-9600P,

I had this issue on an older AMD laptop last year before replacing it, and never got to fully fix it. On Intel though, there is more hope.

First try removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers for the Intel HD iGPU.

Check for any new chipset drivers.

Check if there is a new BIOS for your motherboard.

Clear the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

If that doesn't work, download ThrottleStop and click "PROCHOT", as sometimes a sensor can die and trick the CPU into thinking that it is constantly so hot that it needs to throttle down to 0.8GHz.

This is a bugger of an issue though, so I feel your pain.

I turned on my computer today and suddenly it started lagging a lot. I opened HWinfo and found that my CPU is only running at 800Mhz instead of the usual 3200Mhz. I tried looking around how to fix this problem but found no helpful information, everyone just said go to power setting and press high performance. my CPU is an i7 -7700 and its power limit is set to unlimited. also, when I tried running Cinebench my CPU was still running at 800Mhz and 40 degrees. If anyone has any idea on how to solve the problem thanks!

I had this issue on an older AMD laptop last year before replacing it, and never got to fully fix it. On Intel though, there is more hope.

If that doesn't work, download ThrottleStop and click "PROCHOT", as sometimes a sensor can die and trick the CPU into thinking that it is constantly so hot that it needs to throttle down to 0.8GHz.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

I had the same issue on my Lenovo L340/i9750H. 

While you could disable BDPROCHOT on ThrottleStop, that isn't very sustainable and you'll be robbing your components of their longevity. Instead, try these: 

1. If it's a laptop;

• Switch the computer off.
  • Unplug from the AC power source.
  • Remove the back plate, then disconnect the battery connnector and wait for 5 minutes.
  • Connect to the battery and replace the backplate. 
  • Turn it back on. Maybe try it a second time if it doesn't work at first.

2. Either way, just put it through a few power cycles and see if it sorts its self out. 

3. Update all relevant drivers, BIOS etc. 

• Try disbaling Intel DPTF in the BIOS as well. (Kinda a shot in the dark)
  • Make sure you're on High Performance or Balanced (Windows Power Settings). 
  • Switch off Conservation Mode or similar battery optimization from Lenovo Vantage etc. 
  • Reset BIOS to Defaults 
  • All else fails, fresh installation of Windows?

4. ThrottleStop

• If you don't mind turning PROCHOT off, then it is a valid solution. (This might not always work) 
  • Otherwise, try to understand what's limiting your processor in the "Limits" tab on ThrottleStop. (See if anything's red)
  • If it's PL1, it has to do with Turbo Voltages and Power Consumption. Then, tweak Turbo Voltages in the TPL tab.
  • BD PROCHOT deals directly with the sensor informing your CPU to throttle, in this case undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache in the FIVR tab. 

Best of Luck! If the problem still persists, consider replacing the motherboard or getting a different/new cooling solution. 

image.png

image.png

Edited by HalfOfZeno

40 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I did as you said from top to bottom, nothing worked until clearing the CMOS through the BIOS worked, I have no idea how or why lol. thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, ziv_h said:

I did as you said from top to bottom, nothing worked until clearing the CMOS through the BIOS worked, I have no idea how or why lol. thanks for your help!

Brilliant! Glad to hear it's sorted!

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB