Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU Thermal Paste Questions

I have a few questions here guys which i cant really find a consensus on with opinions ranging far and wise and wanted to ask everyone here.

Firstly is application, i see people putting a bigger glob on the gpu than the cpu and letting it spread naturally with the heat sink once re attached. Personally i use the credit card spread method.

Secondly is which paste? I see a lot of people recommending M-4 

Reason im asking is because i repasted with Arctic Silver 5 using the glob and card spread method and my temps actually went up.

Any input is appreciated

23 minutes ago, darustla said:

I have a few questions here guys which i cant really find a consensus on with opinions ranging far and wise and wanted to ask everyone here.

Firstly is application, i see people putting a bigger glob on the gpu than the cpu and letting it spread naturally with the heat sink once re attached. Personally i use the credit card spread method.

Secondly is which paste? I see a lot of people recommending M-4 

Reason im asking is because i repasted with Arctic Silver 5 using the glob and card spread method and my temps actually went up.

Any input is appreciated

First. Don't spread. 2nd. Arctic silver 5 isn't worth it anymore. MX-4 is the best value to performance. You can use NT-H1/H2, Kryonaut or whatever. they are a little bit better than MX-4. You can use a big blub on the GPU die without any issues. You should use enough to cover the whole die. 

Dosen't matter if paste go into this area, unless it's liquid metal / electrically conductive:

image.png.cc4522f06d1a984421460f74629ead1c.png

CPU: i7 9700K@5.3,52,52,51,51,50,50,50

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, Default CL17, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

Noted, so when applying just put a healthy glob on and reseat the heat sink and let it spread across naturally?

10 minutes ago, darustla said:

Noted, so when applying just put a healthy glob on and reseat the heat sink and let it spread across naturally?

Yes exactly

CPU: i7 9700K@5.3,52,52,51,51,50,50,50

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, Default CL17, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

There are as many opinions on GPU thermal paste spreading as there are members on a forum. I absolutely cannot abide by the squish glob method and always spread mine meticulously because I'm a bit obsessive. Others clearly vehemently disagree and I've learned to leave it after how many times I've seen this devolve into pages long debates over the years.

Just make sure the coverage is compete and even, and that the layer isn't too thick, and it'll be fine. MX-4 is a good paste in my experience. 

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 1TB NVMe ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 512GB SATA ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Latitude E6400 ~ Core 2 E8600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ Quadro FX 160M ~ 256GB SSD ~ 720P matte TN

12" PowerBook G4 ~ 1.33Ghz PowerPC 7447A ~ 1.25GB DDR ~ GeForce FX 5200 ~ 30GB HDD ~ XGA matte TN

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

I hear you mate, this wasn't intended to start a war over opinion i was asking for myself and what methods i should try 🙂