Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, 

I have received yesterday morning my new Xps 15 9500 with i7, 1650ti, 16gb RAM, 1tb ssd. 

 

I have a big problem, it is HOT even in idle, temps on cpu never lower of 65 celsius and 38/43 on the left palm rest based on where i get the temp.

Its really far too hot. The fan is always spinning. 

Tonight i let hwinfo open while downloading 60gb from my cloud, it reached 100 on 4 Core and 98 on the others.. 

 

Is the mine detective? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing Dell and their quality control standards, yours could be defective, but that sounds reasonably normal for an Intel laptop. I'm using my ZenBook with an i7 on my lap right now and can feel the heat off of it, whilst just using Edge, Word and PowerPoint. I wouldn't worry if I were you though, as laptops tend to run quite hot, especially when using Intel chips and when they're as thin as the XPS is.

 

When idle, have you got a lot of background processes running, and are you on battery or plugged in?

 

I wouldn't worry if I were you though.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

 

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

 

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is mostly when plugged in, when on battery there isn't too much Heat on the keyboard. 

Btw when plugged and typing email my hands get wet and it's only may idk how to do when july comes. 

 

Not so much task in background, i noticed that even when alt tabbing through different Windows the cpu suck like 40 to 65W and the temps goes way up to 75 or more. 

 

I never Heard this in reviews, even from ltt they say it's pretty cold. 

 

I expext a 2k euro machine to be cold atleast in thunderbird...

Seems that it uses way more whatts than needed. 

I had a hp pavillion with i7 9750h and it never used more than 10 Watts for email or web task. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pacorebon said:

The problem is mostly when plugged in, when on battery there isn't too much Heat on the keyboard. 

Btw when plugged and typing email my hands get wet and it's only may idk how to do when july comes. 

 

Not so much task in background, i noticed that even when alt tabbing through different Windows the cpu suck like 40 to 65W and the temps goes way up to 75 or more. 

 

I never Heard this in reviews, even from ltt they say it's pretty cold. 

 

I expext a 2k euro machine to be cold atleast in thunderbird...

Seems that it uses way more whatts than needed. 

I had a hp pavillion with i7 9750h and it never used more than 10 Watts for email or web task. 

 

When plugged in laptops tend to be hotter, as they default to higher performance modes. What is the power usage like when unplugged and using a battery saving mode?

 

Based on the power usage and temps when doing basic stuff it doesn't sound normal though.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

 

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

 

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

When plugged in laptops tend to be hotter, as they default to higher performance modes. What is the power usage like when unplugged and using a battery saving mode?

 

Based on the power usage and temps when doing basic stuff it doesn't sound normal though.

 

When unplugged it does not spike that high with whatts.

It seems that when plugged the power manager always answare to every task "do it faster than possible and boost to 4.7ghz on all Cores with 65w drain". 

So even if i open a folder it gets hot and never goes under 55/60 at idle. 

 

Thinking on returning... So disappointed btw.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it new? Or used new? If used, check internals for dust. Check for bios updates as laptops often get adjusted fan speed when updating. XPS should be pretty good in terms of thermals. Check actual temps when gaming. Use Hwinfo64. Sometimes laptops use very high turbo speeds at low loads and much lower clocks at load. My work laptop for example runs upto 90c in light loads with 4.3ghz turbo and 67c in cinebench 😉

CPU: i7 9700K@5.3,52,52,51,51,50,50,50

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, Default CL17, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

So is it new? Or used new? If used, check internals for dust. Check for bios updates as laptops often get adjusted fan speed when updating. XPS should be pretty good in terms of thermals. Check actual temps when gaming. Use Hwinfo64. Sometimes laptops use very high turbo speeds at low loads and much lower clocks at load. My work laptop for example runs upto 90c in light loads with 4.3ghz turbo and 67c in cinebench 😉

The bios and all the other stuff it's updated. 

When gaming the temps are not so much different from when idle.. After 1hr of AC. Valhalla it was at 70c, 5 more than when using excel while plugged. 

 

Plus i'm really pissed off that dell had announced 3 days ago the new xps 15 with 3050ti and 11th gen in it.. 

I would wait but i cant, need the laptop for work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 3:15 AM, Pacorebon said:

The bios and all the other stuff it's updated. 

When gaming the temps are not so much different from when idle.. After 1hr of AC. Valhalla it was at 70c, 5 more than when using excel while plugged. 

 

Plus i'm really pissed off that dell had announced 3 days ago the new xps 15 with 3050ti and 11th gen in it.. 

I would wait but i cant, need the laptop for work. 

Hello Pacorebon, did you end up returning/getting a replacement? I am browsing something similar and your concern resonated with my worries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, i ended up returning it.. Too hot or too noisy... In the palm area 45c is too hot. It was hurting my hands, plus i have swetty hands like the feet of linus haha. 

I've just ordered the blade 14 with 3070. Next week it's here. 

Hoping for the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×