Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I'm looking to make my home connection more stable. Some info:

• I have a provider of up to 100mbs
  • modem router connection on middle floor
  • Lan cables running to top and bottom floor
  • Will optimistically upgrade provider in future

Can you please recommend modem routers that will do a better job than the one provided for me by the internet company?

Also what product can I buy to connect to the cables on the top and bottom floors to have better WIFI signal  on all floors?

Thanks for the help!😁

you can get ceiling mounted routers that will do the job of servicing two floors. If you can run an ethernet cable through your ceiling. I used to do similar work and we would run cables and stuff through a closet to get up a floor. You can't always run cables through a ground floor ceiling easily. There's also powerline but I have never tried it.

Thanks for the tip! The LAN cables through the floors are in place. I am looking for products to connect to the ends of them

1 hour ago, ELONELONELON said:

Can you please recommend modem routers that will do a better job than the one provided for me by the internet company?

That will depend on if your ISP allows you to use your own modem/gateway. If they do, they'll usually have an approved list which will work on their network.

Which ISP? What type of internet connection?

1 hour ago, ELONELONELON said:

Also what product can I buy to connect to the cables on the top and bottom floors to have better WIFI signal  on all floors?

The device that you need here should function as a wireless access point. There are dedicated APs, but also some wireless routers can be switched to AP mode. The important thing is to not run the latter in router mode, since you already have a router on the network.

What is your budget? How many wireless devices do you plan to have connected simultaneously?

My ISP rents modems, which I have learned not to trust. I found recommendations for people with my ISP looking for replacement modems. The recommendations are:

• TP-Link Archer VR400 AC1200

• D-LINK DSL-G256DG AC1600

• TP-Link Archer VR900 AC1900

Will These routers support two AP? I would like to spend no more then 200$ if possible. All together I plan to have running simultaneously 3 computers, 2 streaming services, and four phones. 

48 minutes ago, ELONELONELON said:

The recommendations are:

I gather that you have a DSL connection. If those DSL gateways have been proven to work, then they should be fine.

48 minutes ago, ELONELONELON said:

Will These routers support two AP?

Your gateway doesn’t care how many APs you use. They just have to be wired in over ethernet to the gateway or switch. The TP-Link Omada EAP225 ($60) is a relatively inexpensive AP that should provide what you need. Since you never gave a floor plan sketch of your house, I’d recommend you ceiling-mount the AP as close to the center of each level as possible for maximum coverage. Also, the gateway recommendations that you were provided have their own built-in APs which you can use to supplement wireless coverage on the middle floor. I’d try with the gateway AP and the dedicated AP first to see if you get adequate coverage before deciding on adding a dedicated AP on the bottom floor.

How many ethernet cables do you have converging on the middle floor? You can get a simple unmanaged switch (e.g. Netgear GS308 - $20) if 8 ports is enough, connect the ethernet cables from the other floors to it and then connect that switch to the gateway.