How to fix this texture shimmering / flickering in games?

faded1414

I've seen a lot of people having this issue in different forums with no solution. But I found a specific "solution" that works but isn't ideal and might lead to a real solution.

I'm on a 2560x1440 display and lights / people in games will occasional flicker and shimmer. Sometimes a lot and its super annoying.

I found that dropping my resolution to 1920x1080 in games fixes the flickering (looks like crap tho).
I also found that moving the render scale up 20% or down 20% or more, also completely stops the shimmering and flickering.

Knowing this is there any reason you can think of why its only shimmering on my native resolution?

I don't see how it could be a cable or graphics card issue if it works fine at higher and lower resolutions..

Just now, tkitch said:

are you running the games at 1440?

I game at 1440 and can't say I've seen it.

Yeah I am. And its only certain games so I wonder if its just the games problem. Like I experience it by far the most in WoW and only at all in 1 or 2 other games, but games like valorant or apex or something I never encounter it whatsoever. Its just weird I can render scale to 200% and all flickering goes away, but that also drops my frames from 200>90, which isn't ideal. 

Flickering and shimmering are the result of aliasing and overzealous Antisotropic sample optimizations.

ideally you would use a processed AA, not crap like TAA or FXAA, however the good ones like MSAA, are much more performance intensive and are rarely implemented nowadays as post process AA is much easier to add to games.

If the AA options are only post processed options i'd recommend disabling them entirly, then using a higher render scale or use DSR. This is much more performance intensive but gives vastly superior results in image quality.

If the game doesnt support AA like MSAA then basically ur SoL. Devs are getting very lazy with AA implementations nowadays.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |