Hovering over the battery icon on Windows 10 shows 5% yet I click it and it says 3%. What gives? Hardware or Windows issue?

Duo01

Hi, 
I use my laptop as sort of a desktop now (I have it plugged in constantly, as I basically turned it into a 'desktop' and yes I know it sounds stupid but that's not the point.)

I was worried about my battery as I looked on my taskbar and saw my battery was low despite it always being at 100% most of the time I'm using it, as once again, I use it as more of a desktop than a laptop and I leave it plugged in. 

Initially I looked at the Battery Report (generated by command prompt) but I think its suspicious and I thought I'd ask. 

(TOSHIBA P750-A) 
I did recently get repairs on the power jack (about 2 weeks ago) and they basically fixed it to enable it to charge again.
Does anyone think that may have caused it?
I power the laptops charger off of a surge protector also.

At this point I'm unsure if its a battery issue or Windows screwing up with the percentage (which I've seen it do with new laptops as well.).
Hope this post makes sense, I'm willing to clarify any information needed.

31 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Hi, 
I use my laptop as sort of a desktop now (I have it plugged in constantly, as I basically turned it into a 'desktop' and yes I know it sounds stupid but that's not the point.)

I was worried about my battery as I looked on my taskbar and saw my battery was low despite it always being at 100% most of the time I'm using it, as once again, I use it as more of a desktop than a laptop and I leave it plugged in. 

Initially I looked at the Battery Report (generated by command prompt) but I think its suspicious and I thought I'd ask. 

(TOSHIBA P750-A) 
I did recently get repairs on the power jack (about 2 weeks ago) and they basically fixed it to enable it to charge again.
Does anyone think that may have caused it?
I power the laptops charger off of a surge protector also.

At this point I'm unsure if its a battery issue or Windows screwing up with the percentage (which I've seen it do with new laptops as well.).
Hope this post makes sense, I'm willing to clarify any information needed.

Very possibly using it as a desktop.  The batteries are likely some sort of lithium ion and they don’t like being kept at 100% all the time.  Lithium batteries are usually stored near 50%. As for the percentage change that’s happened with more or less every device with rechargeable batteries no matter the manufacturer or OS I’ve ever owned, so I suspect it’s hardware.  Specifically the way the batteries work. 

Edited by Bombastinator
Ihateautocorrect

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Okay, I've solved this myself.. and the solution was interesting. 

The cord got caught ON my desk and when I unplugged and fixed it, it showed the battery icon with a red icon with a X. I fixed the charger and plugged it in and it works and appears to be charging. 

So I guess my fault and Windows not displaying it correctly at the same time?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Very possibly using it as a desktop.  The batteries are likely some sort of lithium ion and they don’t like being kept at 100% all the time.  Lithium batteries are usually stored near 50%. As for the percentage change that’s happened with more or less every device with rechargeable batteries no matter the manufacturer or OS so I suspect it’s hardware.  Specifically the way the batteries work. 

I will also try to be more vigilant when charging it as well.  

Very possibly using it as a desktop.  The batteries are likely some sort of lithium ion and they don’t like being kept at 100% all the time.  Lithium batteries are usually stored near 50%. As for the percentage change that’s happened with more or less every device with rechargeable batteries no matter the manufacturer or OS so I suspect it’s hardware.  Specifically the way the batteries work. 

I usually unplug it when I stop using it to save energy and stuff so its not constantly at 100% but ill watch it. 

1 minute ago, Duo01 said:

Okay, I've solved this myself.. and the solution was interesting. 

The cord got caught ON my desk and when I unplugged and fixed it, it showed the battery icon with a red icon with a X. I fixed the charger and plugged it in and it works and appears to be charging. 

So I guess my fault and Windows not displaying it correctly at the same time?

Ah.  That’s what you were talking about with 5 vs 3.  It wasn’t clear.  I though you were talking about how the “percentage of charge” seems to hop about unevenly.  Yeah unplugging a device will mean it doesn’t charge.  I’d call that one “all you”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ah.  That’s what you were talking about with 5 vs 3.  It wasn’t clear.  I though you were talking about how the “percentage of charge” seems to hop about unevenly.  Yeah unplugging a device will mean it doesn’t charge.  I’d call that one “all you”

Yeah it was my fault, although its still weird that windows showed 5% when hovering over the icon and when I clicked it, it showed 3%. 

5 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Yeah it was my fault, although its still weird that windows showed 5% when hovering over the icon and when I clicked it, it showed 3%. 

Batteries don’t actually report percentage of charge.  They do work a little like balloons though.  A “3.7v” lithium battery will start out at a bit over 4v and it will drop to a bit under 3v before it cuts out. I suspect the software measures the voltage coming out of the battery and makes a guesstimate.  The curve isn’t smooth though and it changes over time.

Edited by Bombastinator