Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help going back to windows from linux

Ok, so I decided to try Linux mint on my dell precision t5600 that already has windows. After a while I wanted to just use windows (had trouble getting wifi driver to work). So, I deleted the Linux partition while inside of windows. After a reboot, Grub rescue would appear. I don't know Linux at all, so I thought I would just reinstall Linux Mint and try to uninstall Grub and then the Linux partition. After hours of roadblocks and I'm sure mistakes on my part, I'm only able to boot straight into Linux Mint. I hold left shift to manually select windows 10 boot, but it tells me that it needs recovery. Now, this is my main PC. I can only get into Linux with no wifi driver (ethernet isn't an option). So I'm having to download a windows 10 iso, onto a phone, transfer that iso to a laptop (the laptop has a wifi card failure so it's mostly a DVD player in bedroom) and tried to make a bootable drive from that using "rufus", but that doesn't seem to be working. I have no idea what to do. I don't mind deleting everything to start fresh at this point. I just want windows again.

Yeah... Linux can mess with your Windows partition, as well as corrupt it, as can Windows corrupt your Linux installation. I'm not a expert on this, but I was told if you want to switch back, you have to mess with the partitions to get it back to normal. I'd start fresh, try retrieving your files off of it and put it on a separate drive or device and do a clean install with fixing the partitions. Linux can screw over a computer if your not careful. I'd use VM's for Linux testing in the future. I could be wrong on it and some may have a solution but this is what I was told. Even if you fix the partitions in Windows, it doesn't know how to handle the space.

10 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Yeah... Linux can mess with your Windows partition, as well as corrupt it, as can Windows corrupt your Linux installation. I'm not a expert on this, but I was told if you want to switch back, you have to mess with the partitions to get it back to normal. I'd start fresh, try retrieving your files off of it and put it on a separate drive or device and do a clean install with fixing the partitions. Linux can screw over a computer if your not careful. I'd use VM's for Linux testing in the future. I could be wrong on it and some may have a solution but this is what I was told. Even if you fix the partitions in Windows, it doesn't know how to handle the space.

Yeah, I see lol. I have some flash drives to make a fresh install of windows. But I'm getting a ramdisk memory error. I have a windows 10 iso image that I downloaded from Microsoft, but attempting to use that on USB to install Windows, gave me the ramdisk error. I really don't mind recovery any data at this point. I do have access to Linux mint still. That is still installed and boots straight to there.

If you still have the Linux USB installer, I'd use that to boot into live USB and delete all the partitions on your laptop before re-installing with a windows usb. Windows can't read or work with the ext4 partitions Linux makes.