System76 Launches Open Source Mechanical Keyboard

Tensimeter

Summary

System76, the Colorado-based computer manufacturer, has launched their "Launch" open source mechanical keyboard for pre-order for $285 USD. The keyboard is tenkeyless, uses a detachable USB C cable, and acts as a USB hub with 2 USB A and USB C ports. There is a choice on order between tactile and clicky switches.

overhead.png?fit=cover&width=2560

Quotes

“Launch with macOS and Windows 10 is a phenomenal, high-end keyboard with a comfortable feel and unique high-speed USB hub,” said Carl Richell, CEO of System76. “Combined with Pop!_OS and, in particular, auto-tiling, the hardware and OS blend into a holistic desktop experience that's faster and easier to navigate.”

Just like their Thelio computers, the Launch is custom-built in their own facility in Denver, CO. Featuring a chassis milled out of a solid block of aluminium, as well as a custom PCB (printed circuit board). Created for customization, it comes with a set of red, blue, or brown keycaps to get it how you want it. It also has runner feet to keep it still, along with a magnetic foot for an optional 15% incline.

My thoughts

It looks like an interesting keyboard, and as far as I know it is the first open source and open design keyboard. You can easily flash your own firmware with their app as well as look at the design files yourself. It is relatively expensive at $285 USD though. I'm not affiliated with System76, I just found this worth sharing.

Sources

https://system76.com/accessories/launch

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/05/system76-releases-the-open-source-launch-configurable-keyboard/

Edited by Tensimeter
Added picture

It's neat to see another company's approach, but with so many better QMK options, it's just a hard pass for me. Perhaps if they just sold a BYOS base kit, I'd check it out.

285$ does seem steep for a mechanical keyboard with a USB Hub, though I'm not sure how a similarly equipped mechanical keyboard would cost normally.

Also the RGB feels out of place with those keycaps.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

285$ does seem steep for a mechanical keyboard with a USB Hub, though I'm not sure how a similarly equipped mechanical keyboard would cost normally.

It's probably because of the chassis.

I'm not familiar with keyboards really, but 2lbs and milled aluminum seems like it would be pretty expensive.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

👀...

🤔...

...Can't see this taking off, at least, not if their market is the custom keeb community. Keeb kit is rather basic (no gaskets, integrated plate, no weights) for a $280+ item. 😦

Spoiler

unknown.png

System76 Launch Configurable Keyboard

Like, expensive if fine, if it can be justified with unique features/experiences it offers the user. But I don't see anything that stands out about the System76 Launch?

Also, very not a fan of this:

unknown.png

Irks my OCD.

...And sorta brings my attention towards the Modifier keys? Gonna be a tad hard trying to find whole, compatible keycap sets for that kinda layout (Caps Lock, Enter, Backspace, Delete keys especially?).

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

10 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

thats cus its made in USA. that also though is a usb 3.2 hub going to 2A and 2 type C with each port being 3.2

this seems like a slightly non standard 10 keyless layout which bothers me.
Can we please stop CNC all this aluminum, cast it then finish it on CNC.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 hours ago, Tensimeter said:

Summary

System76, the Colorado-based computer manufacturer, has launched their "Launch" open source mechanical keyboard for pre-order for $285 USD. The keyboard is tenkeyless, uses a detachable USB C cable, and acts as a USB hub with 2 USB A and USB C ports. There is a choice on order between tactile and clicky switches.

overhead.png?fit=cover&width=2560

Quotes

My thoughts

It looks like an interesting keyboard, and as far as I know it is the first open source and open design keyboard. You can easily flash your own firmware with their app as well as look at the design files yourself. It is relatively expensive at $285 USD though. I'm not affiliated with System76, I just found this worth sharing.

Sources

https://system76.com/accessories/launch

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/05/system76-releases-the-open-source-launch-configurable-keyboard/

At this rate, they'll go bankrupt making too many products, unless their business is black magic and/or large number of people are buying their stuff

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

At this rate, they'll go bankrupt making too many products, unless their business is black magic and/or large number of people are buying their stuff

their laptops are just rebrands of an OEM that they made custom drivers and firmware for

I don't see anything that screams we are being risky

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

their laptops are just rebrands of an OEM that they made custom drivers and firmware for

Doesn't that still cost money?

I mean who handles all the logistics etc?

And why would anyone(Who doesn't want coreboot) buy a laptop with linux pre installed if it commands a premium?

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

Doesn't that still cost money?

I mean who handles all the logistics etc?

it does but given its already designed models its a lot cheaper than apple or HP making a laptop

they do

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

it does but given its already designed models its a lot cheaper than apple or HP making a laptop

they do

Well , in that case some people are buying that stuff.

Who the crap is this thing for? People that just buy anything that System76 sells?

Mainstream people would likely be turned off by the lack of numpad, strange layout (i.e. not full size or TKL), lack of macro buttons and dedicated media keys, non-Cherry switches, and the high price.

People that are into keyboards would be turned off by... the everything. Just some things that came to mind immediately:

• North facing switches means that they will interfere with Cherry profile keycaps (tbf, this is not an issue with Box switches, which are the included options)
  • Integrated plate, which means it is stiffer than people generally want, and also prevents any other plate material options.
  • Plate mount stabilisers, which will be more rattly and diffucult to tune than PCB mount stabilisers
  • The layout will make it near impossible to get third party keycaps for that thing. Normal and exploded 75% layouts are fine, but making everything 0.25u narrower for some reason? 1.5u backspace? Where would you get that?
  • According to the specs, it's 948g, which I assume is fully built. That's far lighter than other customs, even those with smaller layouts.
  • It doesn't have any foam or internal dampeners included.

According to the product page, the "firmware is based on open source QMK firmware". Which is what pretty much what every custom keyboard uses, so this thing isn't even special in that regard.

:)

What's the point of making a highway robbery keyboard price without at least having the switches hot swappable?

If it was a reliable and dependable hot swap system, then some people might find this worth the money (as long as the contacts don't degrade).

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

What's the point of making a highway robbery keyboard price without at least having the switches hot swappable?

If it was a reliable and dependable hot swap system, then some people might find this worth the money (as long as the contacts don't degrade).

But... it does have Kailh hot swap sockets

image.png.2326bb36ffef6d1811b28ecc6dc82833.png

:)

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

why does a keyboard need to be open source.

Exactly my thought.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I looked at System76 Website last weekend seen that keyboard mentioned, but no price tag.

But at nearly $300? No thanks. I can get a Custom KB from either WASD and MAX Keyboards for less then that.

That double space is smexy

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

They forgot the number pad!

I would pay a premium to buy made in USA but it would need to be water proof and have a number pad.

The only reason i tolerate my current keyboard is because its washable.

That Keyboard has a really odd layout. Instead of using the Standard ANSI...

Very expensive, layout could be a bit better too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I don't understand why that product exists. Nobody needs an open source keyboard, and the rather high price tag would mean that I would never be able to justify purchasing it.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

It's a swerve for me!

300 for an unconventional layout keyboard?! dream on. Especially as it doesn't appear to have much special about it take make it worthwhile over something conventional.