Can you upgrade a laptop's cpu and motherboard?

Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's cpu, gpu and motherboard and make a old laptop into a gaming beast?

example-turning a hp pavilion g6 2013 into a hp spectre 360(in terms of specifiactions)

2 minutes ago, okboomer said:

Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's cpu, gpu and motherboard and make a old laptop into a gaming beast?

example-turning a hp pavilion g6 2013 into a hp spectre 360(in terms of specifiactions)

No!

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, okboomer said:

In short: no.

With a bit more detail:

Most parts in a laptop are put in place, to you cannot interchange them for other parts.

Of course there have been a few exceptions, for example socketed CPU's, that could be upgraded or MCM graphics cards that could be exchanged, but I would barely count those.

Realistically the only things you can upgrade in a laptop is RAM and SSD/HDD.

Everything else stays like it is, so you can't just make an older laptop just as good as a newer one through upgrading.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, okboomer said:

Laptops usually use a proprietary motherboard that fits only a specific lineup. CPUs are also most of the time soldered to the motherboard. Even those that aren't and can technically be upgraded most of then than not do not have BIOS support, as it was never intended for them to be upgraded. So the short answer to your question is no, there is no way upgrade an old laptop into a gaming beast or into anything that is remotely good in today's standards. 

There are are few exceptions to this and they are laptops which use socketed desktop processors. Those, however, are very niche and expensive. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

<-- Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Sadly no. A theoretical way to make it work would be if you have a chassis that is exactly the same between the better laptop and the one you want to upgrade. Macbooks are good examples of that where you could swap motherboards of the same generation between a lower tier model and a better one. But it doesn't make any sense to do that as you're usually better off just getting a new one and it's a lot of work to teardown both laptops

15 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems -->

hey moderator how did you become a moderator?

were you just one person in forums and you became the moderator?

can you tell me your sucses storym pls?