Messed up partitioning when cloning to new SSD

Kirkula

I don't notice any problems, but I'm pretty sure the recovery partition is messed up. I've never cloned before, so I followed Jay's video on cloning a drive. First I had some issues where I could manually boot from bios, but I couldn't set it up as a bootable drive (if that makes any sense to you). Eventually I just unplugged all my other drives, booted, and now it works. Afterwards, I went into AOEMI partition assistant so I can merge the smaller partition I cloned into the unallocated extra space of the new SSD. That's when things looked a little screwy for me. I saw a whole bunch of extra drives that made no sense to me. After a while I found out that they're probably downloaded games from game pass (really microsoft? lol)partition2.thumb.jpg.58b64f45174d0cd142298bbf034d67af.jpg

But that's neither here nor there. After I reformatted my old SSD, I noticed that my new drive doesn't have a proper partition for system recovery. Instead, I believe what is listed as the H:\ drive. partition.thumb.jpg.4b00946c7b7462d2c70aeb6bee66d762.jpg

How do I correct this? I tried searching for the answers already, but my google-fu has failed me at this task and I don't wanna screw anything up by figuring it out on my own.

I'm no expert,

You didn't say why you did clone what drive so we understand your situation.

If you did clone correctly, why mess with partitions, that's dangerous.

I prefer to reinstall a clean W10 than clone it, it's so easy.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 minute ago, leclod said:

I'm no expert,

You didn't say why you did clone what drive so we understand your situation.

If you did clone correctly, why mess with partitions, that's dangerous.

I prefer to reinstall a clean W10 than clone it, it's so easy.

I have a whole bunch of stuff installed on the old drive, I didn't want to bother reinstalling things, redoing personal settings, etc. That would have taken HOURS. doing this took 20 minutes including figuring out why it didn't wanna boot. I had to mess with partition because the original drive was only a 256 GB SSD, and I was cloning to a 1TB ssd. The new drive would then have a 256 GB main partition and the rest unallocated. I didn't notice at the time when I reformatted the original drive, but what should have been the recovery partition on the new drive was just set as H:\ I realized it after I already reformatted and merged the boot and recovery partitions on the original drive.

I don't understand you perfectly,

Normally when you clone a drive, you clone all the partitions, no ?

Normally during the process you adjust the size of partitions to the room available in the new drive, no ?

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

I don't understand you perfectly,

Normally when you clone a drive, you clone all the partitions, no ?

Normally during the process you adjust the size of partitions to the room available in the new drive, no ?

Yes, the program I used (AOEMI Backupper) clones all the partitions. If you can change the size of the partition using it, it would probably be in the paid version. Maybe there's another free program out that that lets you do that? I don't know. If I ever need to clone another drive in the future, I'll look for one that lets you do that which is also free.

2 minutes ago, Kirkula said:

Yes, the program I used (AOEMI Backupper) clones all the partitions. If you can change the size of the partition using it, it would probably be in the paid version. Maybe there's another free program out that that lets you do that? I don't know. If I ever need to clone another drive in the future, I'll look for one that lets you do that which is also free.

Macrium (I've used it but it's been a while) ?

I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to migrate from one drive to another again...

I remember doing this a while ago with the software samsung provides for cloning. It has options for when the drive to clone to has a different size.

1 minute ago, another_user said:

I remember doing this a while ago with the software samsung provides for cloning. It has options for when the drive to clone to has a different size.

Unfortunately the program I have already used previous to my original post didn't have that option.