So crazy it might just work...?

kjgruber

In my main system I have two two PSUs because I run two graphics cards to mine. I also mine on another rig that sits next to my main one. I am going to add a third card to my second rig and need another power supply to run it. Theoretically, if I wanted to add a graphics card to the second rig, could I use one of the PSUs from my main rig to power it, while it is also powering a gpu in my main rig? The answer has to be no, right? I am not going to do it but the idea popped into my head. 

You need 2 PSUs to run 2 graphics cards? What power supplies are you using? What graphics cards?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You need 2 PSUs to run 2 graphics cards? What power supplies are you using? What graphics cards?

My main rig has two 3080s. MY second rig will have 3 5700xts when I add the third. My main rig has a 750w that powers one 3080 and the rest of the system, while the second psu powers the second 3080. My second rig has one 750 power supply that powers the two 5700xts. IMO, I need a second to power the third 5700xt. All Corsair gold rated PSUs. I am likely adding a third 3080 to my first rig too. So the 1650 watts will be necessary eventually. 

22 minutes ago, kjgruber said:

I am likely adding a third 3080 to my first rig too. So the 1650 watts will be necessary eventually. 

Instead of buying multiple 750W PSUs and trying to bodge them together to make a mining rig you should just use the right tool for the job.

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020087-UK

24 minutes ago, kjgruber said:

My main rig has two 3080s. MY second rig will have 3 5700xts when I add the third. My main rig has a 750w that powers one 3080 and the rest of the system, while the second psu powers the second 3080.

Are you power limiting the cards? How much total power is the system drawing with the two 3080s?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, kjgruber said:

My main rig has a 750w.... My second rig has one 750 power supply

So, in other words you have no idea and no idea what you're doing.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:20 AM, Eviljuche said:

Well, technically, you can use 2 PSUs in one rig, you will need to wire the two pins on 20+4 pin ATX power connector to themselves for a PSU to work without being connected to the rest of the motherboard (there are cheap devices to do such thing in Amazon, if you think that you cannot do this by yourself), but... Why? That will be the jankiest setup with a lots of risks. Better buy some 1000W PSU instead

I am already doing this. People do not understand the question. Please reread. It was theoretical anyways

On 5/13/2021 at 1:56 AM, jonnyGURU said:

So, in other words you have no idea and no idea what you're doing.

I know what I am doing. You apparently do not. This is common within mining and actually more efficient. 

9 hours ago, kjgruber said:

I know what I am doing. You apparently do not. This is common within mining and actually more efficient. 

Bro... You can hook four PSUs up to your PC if you wanted to.  There's just so much more going on here than what you're sharing with us.  

Do I know what I'm doing?  Yeah... I've been running multiple PSUs for a single PSU before mining was even a thing:  http://jongerow.com/PSU_relay/index.html  That article is from 2004.

First off:  What 750W PSUs?  Saying they're "750W PSUs" means nothing because if they're something like "Mining Quality 99% Gold 750W", they're just 500W PSUs with 750W labels.

Secondly:  How much power do you have available AT THE WALL.  You can't infinitely pull power from the wall.   There IS a limit outside of your PC in front of you.

So maybe you do know what you're doing, but nobody has no idea why you have to be so covert and limit what information you're sharing.