MSI B550-A PRO Not turning on at all. I think it's faulty, have I missed anything?

Tadgh_
Go to solution Solved by Tadgh_,

I solved it and it was the worst thing ever and I'm very salty. You might think that this:Β IMG_20210512_223011.jpgΒ 

is front I/O. You'd be wrong. Actually these are ???? pins and the identical set of pins next to them are the front I/O pins.

image.thumb.png.f66b8ee3cee860f6e4f4f441d039a07d.png

My condolences to anyone else who makes this mistake - I hope this helps 😩

Β 

Hiya!

Β 

B550-A PRO and R5 3600 aren't turning on. No fan spin, no debug LEDs, nothing. The only sign of life on the board is the BIOS Flash button, which lights up when pressed.Β 

Β 

So far I have:

-Β Reseated the RAM in both correct and incorrect positions
- Checked the CPU pins and socket
- Reseated the 24Pin and 8Pin connectors
- Removed all storage
- Tried to boot with and without GPU
- Removed motherboard from case and rebuilt as breadboard on a table

- Reset CMOS by removing the battery
- Reset CMOS with the reset CMOS pins

- Said a prayer to Saint Jude - the patron saint of lost causes

Β 

I am currently throwing parts in and out of other PCs to try and narrow it down.

Β 

I will pay a 5 euro bounty to anyone who can solve this problem without me having to RMA the board or the CPU. Godspeed.Β 

Did you flip the power switch on the PSU?

Main System (Byarlant):Β Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO |Β 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4Γ— Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 CardΒ | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Β 

Laptop (Narrative):Β Lenovo Flex 5Β 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TBΒ NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Β 

Proxmox Server (Veda):Β Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2Γ— Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD |Β Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W |Β Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBAΒ | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video CaptureΒ (Jesta Cannon):Β Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S |Β 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDDΒ | Corsair CX450M |Β Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Β 

Camera: Sony Ι‘7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240Β | Samyang 35mm Ζ’/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18FΒ | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Β 

Network:

Spoiler
                           β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
β•‘ β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ Closet ──────┐   β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
β•šβ• UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╀═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 β”‚                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         β”‚                        β•šβ• Jesta Cannon*
                         β”‚ β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                β”œβ”€ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      β”œβ”€ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       β”œβ”€ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Β 

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu):Β Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GTΒ 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old DesktopΒ (Kshatriya):Β Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz |Β ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose):Β Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Did you flip the power switch on the PSU?

Hahaha yes, but thanks.

Just slow down and double check you connected everything straight. >.> NOT trying to insult your PC building ability but sometimes bent pins cause this o,o

I love PC building and gaming.Β 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

Just now, NekoBubbles said:

Just slow down and double check you connected everything straight. >.> NOT trying to insult your PC building ability but sometimes bent pins cause this o,o

After all I paid my local microcenter to build my PC so I wouldn't have to worry about this issue.Β 

Β 

REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

is it a modular power supply?

Are you sure that wall outlet has power?

power button pins are in the correct place?

have you tried just shorting the power pins to see if its a bad switch?

Β 

take a picture

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

Β ~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? πŸ˜…~

I solved it and it was the worst thing ever and I'm very salty. You might think that this:Β IMG_20210512_223011.jpgΒ 

is front I/O. You'd be wrong. Actually these are ???? pins and the identical set of pins next to them are the front I/O pins.

Β 

1 minute ago, Tadgh_ said:

Β 

POGGGG you at least figured it out OwO.Β 

4 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

is it a modular power supply?

Are you sure that wall outlet has power?

power button pins are in the correct place?

have you tried just shorting the power pins to see if its a bad switch?

Β 

take a picture

All very good advice, I was shorting the power pins all along and no the power supply is fixed. I had misidentified some random jumpers in the same configuration as the front I/O as the I/O ;-;

Honestly if I hadn't found the answer before you posted I'd give you the bounty - but I got there firstΒ πŸ˜„Β thanks!

Just now, NekoBubbles said:

POGGGG you at least figured it out OwO.Β 

πŸ˜„ Got there in the end, thanks lads!

• 10 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, Tadgh_ said:

Β 

DUDE I DEADASS MADE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!! oh my lord i was so lost this post is my saviour

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:42 PM, Tadgh_ said:

Β 

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I just wanted to thank you - I've been having horrendous trouble with this motherboard, been tearing my hair out for days and tried everything I could think of. Finally found this thread and everything is working grand now. I swear the manual literally says the incorrect header is the front panel one.Β 

Β 

Anyway, thank you so much!!!Β 

• 7 months later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just spent 5 hours troubleshooting and was getting ready to return the board before I found this thread. I’m glad I’m not the only one who made this mistake.

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, Tadgh_ said:

Β 

Also apologizing for bringing this thread back from the dead, but THANK YOU! I think I killed my partner's new rig. I had everything torn apart and could not figure out what the Hell happened. After Googling the usual stuff, I finally tried searching with the board name/model + issue and I'm so thankful your response was the top of the results!Β 

Β 

A thousand blessings upon your household ❀️