Switched to teksavvy but Telus line uses 2 dsl?

Hey there,

I recently switched over to teksavvy because Telus was just getting ridiculous with their pricing and I got the Smart Rg 516ac with the new contract, but when it got installed they only plugged in one of the dsl cables from the wall and the other one is just hanging there.

I am not entirely sure how to use the second cable. The old Telus router I had had both of those cables plugged in.

Anyone know anything about that?

12 hours ago, gugumatt said:

Hey there,

I recently switched over to teksavvy because Telus was just getting ridiculous with their pricing and I got the Smart Rg 516ac with the new contract, but when it got installed they only plugged in one of the dsl cables from the wall and the other one is just hanging there.

I am not entirely sure how to use the second cable. The old Telus router I had had both of those cables plugged in.

Did you order a bonded service from TekSavvy?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you order a bonded service from TekSavvy?

I ordered the 75 up 15 download I think, which did not specify anything about bonded or not. I just know that it uses the Telus line and the installation dude was from Telus.

1 hour ago, gugumatt said:

I ordered the 75 up 15 download I think, which did not specify anything about bonded or not. I just know that it uses the Telus line and the installation dude was from Telus.

Probably the reverse, up to (with DSL the speed is never guaranteed that I'm aware of) 75 Down 15 Up, a single VDSL line can handle that so its likely they didn't put you on a bonded connection, also why its cheaper than what you had before.  Also as the Smart Rg 516ac appears to be a plain VDSL router, not a dual-line bonding capable one.

Bearing in mind I'm drawing on general knowledge of VDSL and a quick look at the packages for Telus and TekSavvy as I'm in the UK so have no first-hand knowledge of them.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Probably the reverse, up to (with DSL the speed is never guaranteed that I'm aware of) 75 Down 15 Up, a single VDSL line can handle that so its likely they didn't put you on a bonded connection, also why its cheaper than what you had before.  Also as the Smart Rg 516ac appears to be a plain VDSL router, not a dual-line bonding capable one.

Bearing in mind I'm drawing on general knowledge of VDSL and a quick look at the packages for Telus and TekSavvy as I'm in the UK so have no first-hand knowledge of them.

I swapped because I paid almost 40 bucks more for the same contract. I have no idea how all that router stuff works with VDSL and DSL etc. I just know that i got that router and that telus had a router with two dsl lines connected to it, which are in the wall, but the router I got now does not have both....

I was just wondering if there is any way to work around that or if I actually have to get a different router.

Thanks for the answers though. Appreciate it

3 hours ago, gugumatt said:

I swapped because I paid almost 40 bucks more for the same contract. I have no idea how all that router stuff works with VDSL and DSL etc. I just know that i got that router and that telus had a router with two dsl lines connected to it, which are in the wall, but the router I got now does not have both....

I was just wondering if there is any way to work around that or if I actually have to get a different router.

Thanks for the answers though. Appreciate it

That's the thing, I'm not convinced it was the same contract. I'd check any details you have for both the new and the old contracts especially looking for mention of things like "up to", any speed guarantee and of course bonding.

Bonding is practically none existent over here so its very different.  But knowing the technicalities its possible that in order to get 75Mbit down in your location it might need two lines, while both contracts aim for the same speed, one would actually achieve it via bonding while the other would fall short due to only having a single line.  This would explain the difference in price.

An example of that is that I used to have 100Mbit service on a single line here, but now I have to use two lines to achieve ever so slightly faster.  Its not technically bonded, but its the same principle in that I'm using two lines to combine their speed.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:05 AM, gugumatt said:

Hey there,

Why do you think you need to use the second cable? Are you getting near contract speeds? While installs are generally low end jobs, the people doing them tend to know how to properly install their own hardware. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Why do you think you need to use the second cable? Are you getting near contract speeds? While installs are generally low end jobs, the people doing them tend to know how to properly install their own hardware. 

I did mean to ask what speed they are getting as I suspect the reason they are querying it is they probably aren't hitting the contract speed with a single line, thus why their old packaged used two.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, Blue4130 said:

I am hitting near contract speed however when I am streaming my ping fluctuates constantly. It is jumping from like 10 to 60 ping constantly. I did not have that issue before and never changed any stream settings, which is the main reason why I posted this.

1 hour ago, gugumatt said:

I am hitting near contract speed however when I am streaming my ping fluctuates constantly. It is jumping from like 10 to 60 ping constantly. I did not have that issue before and never changed any stream settings, which is the main reason why I posted this.

That makes sense as before you were potentially connected at twice the speed but capped by the ISP, whereas now you're hitting the hard limit of a single line.

The previous router was also likely much better, as it would need to be higher end to handle bonding.

There may be QoS options on the router that will help, but honestly 10-60 if you are maxing out the line is pretty hard to beat.  That's pretty much where my line goes when I hammer it with QoS, I can pull it down to around 30ms with QoS but then you inherently get packet loss.  You may need to just reduce the streaming bitrate to compensate.