PSU makers that have janky warranties

So.

Looks like SeaSonic, Corsair, and EVGA all have the classic "open the unit, warranty is void" clause, even tho....that's slightly against the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I've got a post going on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/righttorepair/comments/naeiqn/seasonic_opening_the_psu_voids_the_warranty/

I've sent a similar email to EVGA as well and will post their reply.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

It could be because they're PSUs and you shouldn't be opening them in the first place unless you know very well what you're doing. 

If it violates any laws then AFAIK they can't enforce that warranty so it should be a non-issue. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

some things you should not open and mess with.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

It could be because they're PSUs and you shouldn't be opening them in the first place unless you know very well what you're doing. 

If it violates any laws then AFAIK they can't enforce that warranty so it should be a non-issue. 

I think you are missing the point entirely.

It's not whether or not the parts or serviceable, it's the fact that they void the warranty due to the case being opened which is in violation of the MMA.

Say, I open the case to blow out dust after a year but do nothing else.  I then send the PSU in for a warranty issue due to something.  They legally have to prove that my cleaning dust caused the failure.

They cannot legally just say "Case has been opened, therefore the warranty is void"

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

If there is one part in the PC where it makes sense it is the PSU.

Touch a wrong part and you are dead or at least the next hours monitored.

This is false when it comes to a properly discharged PSU.

And there are more than enough users out there that know how to do this.

5 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

So.

Looks like SeaSonic, Corsair, and EVGA all have the classic "open the unit, warranty is void" clause, even tho....that's slightly against the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I've got a post going on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/righttorepair/comments/naeiqn/seasonic_opening_the_psu_voids_the_warranty/

I've sent a similar email to EVGA as well and will post their reply.

Oh.. That's you.  LOL!  Let us know how your lawsuit goes.

33 minutes ago, NZKshatriya said:

This is false when it comes to a properly discharged PSU.

And there are more than enough users out there that know how to do this.

And most that don't.   There's a HUGE liability in a company telling a customer "sure.. open up the PSU" compared to "sure..... open up your X-Box."

>> I'M << not even allowed to open a PSU, work on it and close it back up without doing Hi Pot and ground bond tests afterwards (without liability to the user of said PSU), yet you expect PSU manufacturers to tell end users it's ok?

The Magnuson-Moss act means you're not required to use "authorized repair centers" or be forced to use "authorized parts" without voiding your warranty.  In other words, if you swap out the PSU in your iBuyPower or Dell PC, iBuyPower and Dell cannot void your warranty.  The PSU is a part within that part.  Using your logic, a user should be able to desolder the memory chips from their DRAM and solder them onto a new PCB becaus "some people know how to do that."

You can blow out most of the dust with cans of compressed air and then a small vacuum cleaner.  Sufficient amounts of it anyway.  Most cans of compressed air come with pretty thin straw nozzles that can even go through the fan grills.  Having proper ventilation with mesh filters (not too constrictive) is important too, for all internal components.  

In regards to warranty for opening up a PSU to replace a fan--think about what you are trying to accomplish and why.  Is your argument just for academic purposes?   

• If you are changing the fan to a quieter one, then you are technically operating the PSU out of the manufacturer's specification (for instance overheating some parts), and so the manufacturer can then easily say that warranty is voided.
  • If your PSU fan breaks--you do an RMA within the warranty period--the replacement should be covered by the PSU manufacturer.  If you buy from another country and know there are no support centers nearby, don't you already know that submitting your PSU for RMA warranty service will be not something you will want to do?  In which case it matters not what you do with your PSU and whether it breaks the warranty. 
  • And if your PSU is out of warranty and the fan dies, it also doesn't matter what you do for warranty purposes.

Edited to add:

Let's look at a typical warranty--for example Seasonic's, since you used Seasonic as one of your examples:

"VI. Warranty Seasonic’s warranty covers all power supplies beginning from the date of purchase, against defects in materials or workmanship. During the warranty period, Sea Sonic maintains the discretion to either repair units or replace broken components with parts of similar or equal performance, provided that: The product is returned to the point of purchase, postage prepaid. The product was properly used according to the manufacturer’s intended purposes. The product was not damaged due to acts of nature, such as lightening, flood or fire. The product’s cover was never removed and the warranty sticker was not broken. For additional details, please visit www.seasonic.com/rma"

If you are removing the fan and changing it, then technically you have modified the product, and it is no longer as specified by the manufacturer in terms of overall performance profile.  The manufacturer is only warranting their own parts and workmanship to be free of defect and operate to their spec.  The product is now not operating to the original spec, so the manufacturer can no longer guarantee its performance.  (And yes, opening up power supplies should not be done by 99.5% of buyers without understanding the dangers and proceeding appropriately.) 

What Seasonic is saying by "The product’s cover was never removed and the warranty sticker was not broken." is the logical continuation of "The product was properly used according to the manufacturer’s intended purposes. The product was not damaged due to acts of nature, such as lightening, flood or fire."  It's saying "The product was not damaged due to someone's interference with its intended operation parameters."

Why stop at fan?  Say you replace other parts as "improvements", like capacitors--after all, you know everything about power supplies and have the proficiency to do it.  Do you really expect a manufacturer to provide free repair on something they did not actually engineer and make?  If you do it poorly, or use some part that's out of spec, and it has far-reaching consequences--do you expect the manufacturer to stand by it and say "sure, you messed it up, let us take care of it for you for free"?

14 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

I think you are missing the point entirely.

It's not whether or not the parts or serviceable, it's the fact that they void the warranty due to the case being opened which is in violation of the MMA.

Say, I open the case to blow out dust after a year but do nothing else.  I then send the PSU in for a warranty issue due to something.  They legally have to prove that my cleaning dust caused the failure.

They cannot legally just say "Case has been opened, therefore the warranty is void"

I’ll just quote my own post that you yourself quoted quick:

18 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Here's how it will go down when you contact a lawyer.....

Did Seasonic refuse to replace your unit?

No.

Is Seasonic charging you to repair the product?

No.

Is Seasonic making you buy parts to repair or charging you to repair or charging you for a replacement (shipping costs not withstanding).

No.

Sorry.  You don't have a case.

LOL!  I was banned from the Reddit thread for "spreading FUD".

LOL!  Man you guys in there are hilarious.  Like those people that open class action lawsuits against Tostitos because guacamole flavored chips don't contain avocado.  Or because Herdez Sa

lsa Verde is "Mexico's favorite" but is made in the U.S.

You know who I am.  You know what I do.  That alone should tell you that I am right.

So... here's the response I typed up for the /righttorepair mod for banning me.

What I posted is not FUD. It's fact.  The OP knows who I am and knows where I work.  That should tell him that I am quite familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Act.  

The Act DOES give him the right to repair assemblies, but not their sub-assemblies.  His car, his PC, even if it's a pre-build, his game console, etc.  An internal PSU is a sub-assembly.  It's is labeled as such and is why it has the unique safety certifications on it that it does.  Even Seasonic would not repair his unit due to liability.  They would replace it in its entirety.  You are not legally allowed to sell a "remanufactured" part like a PSU without doing a number of tests, like Hi-Pot, ground bond, etc. before sending it out.  Something that would have labor costs associated with it that would negate the value of the component.  When you buy "B-Stock" or "Refurbished" PSUs, they are not remanufactured.  They are tested, repackaged and resold, but not rebuilt.  

The Magnuson-Moss Act is to prevent companies from forcing consumers to have to "buy into" things like using only an authorized repair center or authorized replacement parts.  His warranty allows him to get a complete replacement of his PSU.  Seasonic has not refused to replace the PSU.  Seasonic is not forcing him to buy the replacement fan from them.  This is different then telling someone with a Dell that they have to go to a Dell service center to have their memory replaced or upgraded using authorized Dell parts.

You don't have to "un-ban" me.  But I do want you to be aware that you did ban me... because I'm right.  So, your subreddit literally censors people for not agreeing with your perception.   That's an insult to the Reddit community at a large and something you and your team should be ashamed of.

Now I'm going to go out and work on my car.  Because the Magnuson-Moss act allows me to do so without voiding my warranty.  Don't worry.  I don't plan on putting 4" lift kit on it because I am smart enough to know that WILL void my warranty because I'm not a mouth-breather that feels the world constantly owes me something.

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOL!  I was banned from the Reddit thread for "spreading FUD".

LOL!  Man you guys in there are hilarious.  Like those people that open class action lawsuits against Tostitos because guacamole flavored chips don't contain avocado.  Or because Herdez Slsa Verde is "Mexico's favorite" but is made in the U.S.

You know who I am.  You know what I do.  That alone should tell you that I am right.

Did they really?!

I don't think they recognize your Reddit username (or something).

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Now I'm going to go out and work on my car.  Because the Magnuson-Moss act allows me to do so without voiding my warranty.  Don't worry.  I don't plan on putting 4" lift kit on it because I am smart enough to know that WILL void my warranty because I'm not a mouth-breather that feels the world constantly owes me something.

Exactly.

Replacing the rubber on all 4 wheels won't void the warranty...

But if you're like me, reprogramming the damn ECU, and make the engine run +7.5 PSI of extra boost over stock, if the engine blows up, warranty WON'T be honored.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Honestly, you shouldn't be expecting random people on reddit to know your curriculum.
Had they known anything about PSUs in general, they would have also known that nobody should be allowed to open their PSU without voiding the warranty.

At the end of the day, they ain't getting what they're asking for, no need to waste your time with them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, electropical said:

nobody should be allowed to open their PSU without voiding the warranty.

Same argument Apple uses for why people shouldn't be able to work on their own devices.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, I don't.  Who the are you again?

Edited by GDRRiley
removed negative from quote

2 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

Founder of JonnyGuru.com; a PSU review website. And now the PSU R&D manager at Corsair

Edited by GDRRiley
removed negative from quote

On 5/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, NZKshatriya said:

I think you have it confused with the sticker thing.

And this situation kinda seems like a grey area, but JonnyGURU's statement kinda explains it.

"The Act DOES give him the right to repair assemblies, but not their sub-assemblies."

I'm for the right for repair, but you are poking from the wrong angle (or at least that is what it seems like to me).

Also... I am the warranty.

He's JonnyGURU the PSU expert. Look him up, @comicsansmsbeat me to it.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Same argument Apple uses for why people shouldn't be able to work on their own devices.

Different argument.  You're clouding everything together as one argument.  THAT is where you and your "right to repair" Reddit mod are confused.

==thread cleaned==

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, comicsansms said:

Founder of JonnyGuru.com; a PSU review website. And now the PSU R&D manager at Corsair

You mean a defunct PSU review website, and a R&D Manager, not engineer.

Also, someone who has a history of using ad hominem replies to people in this and other forums if you go through his replies to others.

unknown.png

Not an ad hom but that is some sage crap advice.

2 feet of 18awg does not a lot of resistance make.

It's more likely a sudden system shutoff would be due to a PSU being overloaded in spikes, or thermal protection on the system.

But I digress.

34 minutes ago, NZKshatriya said:

Also, someone who has a history of using ad hominem replies to people in this and other forums if you go through his replies to others.

unknown.png

It's more likely a sudden system shutoff would be due to a PSU being overloaded in spikes, or thermal protection on the system.

But I digress.

lol…

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

unknown.png

But I digress.

Aren't company reps supposed to have an affiliate tag or something?

But anyway, I think warranty stickers on any PC hardware sucks, however a PC power supply is one thing not just any person should be opening unless they understand how to discharge the dangerous amount of current. And I think there could be a way to swap a fan in a PSU without having to touch the internals by using a separate shroud then have the fan connect by a standard 3 or 4 pin connector, then again this would probably add 0.02 cents to manufacturing and manufacturers couldn't force you to replace it when the fan fails.

Edit- A bit of a hot take, but I wouldn't expect an employee of a hardware company to support right to repair, most companies are against the consumer being able to repair their own stuff.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Aren't company reps supposed to have an affiliate tag or something?

He's not a rep. Corsair has reps with the tag here already. He talks here on his own time.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, NZKshatriya said:

hmmmm... Think about what makes a good manager...

unknown.png

But I digress.

He is quite careful at what he says. He doesn't recommend products, just gives input on what's provided.

You are some teen on the internet, and understand the gist of the Magnuson-Moss act, however, you don't know it. Everything you say is your speculation, not the facts.