Building a PC with My Wife (actually gone wrong)

jakkuh_t

The wrap job on the PS5 with linus's face at the beginning of the video looks like something completely different till you notice the eyes...

I even helped "somebody" with that last time

Damn is Bitwit's ex wife Voldemort now? The one who shall not be named?

2 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

That jumped out at me too. There were several points where LTT's standard style of editing had me expecting a archive clip to be played for context (like when Yvonne said she put the CPU in right last time) but nothing happened. Not sure I get a Voldemort feeling from that and more just "we don't want to drag this up again" which I think is the right call since it's someone else's business.

4 minutes ago, Kedohawyr said:

That jumped out at me too. There were several points where LTT's standard style of editing had me expecting a archive clip to be played for context (like when Yvonne said she put the CPU in right last time) but nothing happened. Not sure I get a Voldemort feeling from that and more just "we don't want to drag this up again" which I think is the right call since it's someone else's business.

18 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

I'm guessing it is something to do with Bitwit himself as he is still on Floatplane. So while we all know who she's referring too it might be best others don't, or that they don't mention names, or show video as it could cause a conflict of interest (even tho a waver was likely signed off on permitting them to use it), that could negatively harm Floatplane and future collaborations between the 2 channels.

fyi I never knew they got divorced, nor do I wish to dwell, look into or hear about it beyond this either (it's their business not mine), so don't quote me and talk about it.

And here I thought that, "nah, I will have nothing to comment on in this video..."

The thing that blew up were an MLCC cap. This one to be specific:

image.png.11f73bf9df943dde7e749813503ef8bb.png

Multi layered ceramic capacitors are actually somewhat notorious for failing as a dead short. It is their primary failure mode, and it is induced by a crack forming and from there a short is usually immanent. It typically comes from mechanical stress. Either through flexing of the board, or thermal cycling. In some industries (Automotive, aerospace, medical, etc) MLCCs have soft terminations to mitigate this issue (or just avoid MLCCs all together in critical areas, and use other caps instead), it however adds a noticeable cost to the components, (literally going from a few cents each to tends of cents each in bulk.) so not something one should expect in consumer electronics build down to a price with minimal margins.

It is however still a very small risk of it happening, so consider yourself lucky to get it on video on an otherwise flawless new board.

Edit:
I would also not greatly worry about it, considering its proximity to the fan/AIO headers, then it is likely just some bypass capacitance for the header itself. Could be bypass capacitance for the 8 pin SOIC chip.

Though, the cap does have rather close proximity to the VRM heatsink mounting hole, could be mechanical stress related. I have seen MLCC's go aflame if placed too close to a mounting screw having a bit too much torque applied to it. Since the board will locally flex, but the cap has the correct orientation to minimize this issue, so I wouldn't largely suspect this to be the case.

In the end, this is just a 1 in a billion or so risk of an MLCC deciding to just fail randomly. Really rare, but it does happen.

EXPOSED!!!!

We all know Linus is just going to make some episodes to gain extra revenge on people from the ROAST event.

*runs far away from this thread*

anyone know all the parts they did for the custom water cooling loop? didnt see any in the description of the vid

What was the card they used as wireless for VR?

I tried getting one of those Volta cables but they don't sell the tips individually and the cables they do have either don't come with the tips I need or are out of stock. THB they are also quite expensive compared to the $10 bargain bin ones I can pick up at Staples. While it would be nice having a single cable to juice my iPhone and Android stuff, adding it all up in the end and throwing $100+ at it is just too much. And then I haven't even gotten to the connector replacements I would need in my car where I have two phones and a tablet mount.

My advice to Volta - sell the tips individually, offer longer cables (10ft would be good) and also offer curled cables as well. I use curled cables in the car and when I am mobile  - they just take up less space and can be as short or long as you need. And lower the damn price - a cable without any tips should not be more than $10 and the tips alone shouldn't even cost that. I really hate it when companies try to fleece customers.

Can you guys post the link to components for this build? Screenshotting the youtube video list, i feel something is missing (even something as small as heat sink goo) :)

There was no footage of it happening so my mind thinks yvonne did not peel off the cpu block sticker

Seeing big cases like this i want to switch cases.. Even if R6 is good enough.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD