Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can i combine x2 16GB modules with x2 8GB ones?

Long story short i bought 2 16GB crucial ballistix ram modules, each at 3200mhz CL16 but they're single rank, so i want to fill out the other 2 ram slots with 2 single ranks modules to get dual rank benefits on my ryzen CPU.

I could buy a kit of 2x 8GB crucial ballistix at identical speeds and latency.

I suspect they will work together from the experience of the 3 ram modules i have used so far, but I'd like further opinions.

Should i expect the setup to function normally as a 4 sticks dual rank setup, where the only major difference between them is their size with a total amount of 48GB of RAM?

Will i experience performance degradation from the different module sizes or this should not affect performance?

4 minutes ago, Rym said:

Long story short i bought 2 16GB crucial ballistix ram modules, each at 3200mhz CL16 but they're single rank, so i want to fill out the other 2 ram slots with 2 single ranks modules to get dual rank benefits on my ryzen CPU.

I think you are mixing dual channel and dual rank here.

Rank stands for the physical rows of memory on the ram stick. This doesn't change with adding more sticks.

Dual channel stands for a mode ram operates in. It needs at least 2 sticks to work. Best practice is always all sticks be the same size and speed (preferably also just from the same kit).

For ryzen you want dual channel which your board if you put the ram in the right slots is running the 2 sticks at right now.

Why do you want more ram? 32gb is already beyond excessive for normal use and gaming.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Rank stands for the physical rows of memory on the ram stick. This doesn't change with adding more sticks.

But you can emulate dual rank benefit in Zen 3 with 4 sticks of RAM. And its pretty noticeable performance boost, but imho not worth the "imma run for new sticks asap", just good to hear that you should note whenever you gonna upgrade soon.

To OP: It should be fine as Crucial only has 1 supplier which is Micron. But as i eluded to before, consider thinking the price to performance gain.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

I don't work at Dell, i just love semi formal English.

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

But you can emulate dual rank benefit in Zen 3 with 4 sticks of RAM. And its pretty noticeable performance boost, but imho not worth the "imma run for new sticks asap", just good to hear that you should note whenever you gonna upgrade soon.

To OP: It should be fine as Crucial only has 1 supplier which is Micron. But as i eluded to before, consider thinking the price to performance gain.

That is true. But I am running off of the info I got from op and so far no mention of ryzen :p.

Edit: Wasn't this also because ryzen 5000 just likes the higher bandwith of 4 sticks?

So to make things more clear. Op what are your full specs? Why do you need more ram?

23 minutes ago, Rym said:

I could buy a kit of 2x 8GB crucial ballistix at identical speeds and latency.

I suspect they will work together from the experience of the 3 ram modules i have used so far, but I'd like further opinions.

Should i expect the setup to function normally as a 4 sticks dual rank setup, where the only major difference between them is their size with a total amount of 48GB of RAM?

Will i experience performance degradation from the different module sizes or this should not affect performance?

As long as you run 16+8 on each channel, you'll be good (assuming you meant channel, and not rank).

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

ut I am running off of the info I got from op and so far no mention of ryzen :p.

Yeah, brain defaulted to thinking about zen because Ballistix 3200s arent exactly the best value on the block. FoxLaugh2.png.70c449a9cd34f1f45e32b0d84667738a.png

But yeah, we also need to know OP's spec.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

I don't work at Dell, i just love semi formal English.

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

14 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

As long as you run 16+8 on each channel, you'll be good (assuming you meant channel, and not rank).

So i should run them in a 16GB + 8GB combination instead of 16+16 on one channel and 8+8 on the other? Well it does make sense actually.

28 minutes ago, Rym said:

So i should run them in a 16GB + 8GB combination instead of 16+16 on one channel and 8+8 on the other? Well it does make sense actually.

Yes, else you get dual channel only on 32GB of the 48