HELP with DDR4 laptop ram

So I have a HP laptop, and wanted to add another 8 gb of ram in the second ram slot. However when I try to place the ram into the slot to click it down, it doesn’t slide in properly. I took the existing ram out of the slot it’s in, and put the new one in and it fit fine. I then tried to put the stick I already had into the other slot, and it still didn’t fit. Is there something I’m supposed to do to allow the ram stick to fit?

image.jpg

Just now, jaslion said:

Turn it around.

I believe it is the right way around, as there is a piece that slots in properly.

image.jpg

slide it all the way down than push it down

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Check if there are something blocking the slot. if not, try using a little bit of force when pushing it in

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

slide it all the way down than push it down

The issue is that is won’t slide in any farther. I can put both sticks in and out of the other ram slot, but can get neither into this one. Here is a photo of the slot without the stick in it.

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Tegneren said:

Check if there are something blocking the slot. if not, try using a little bit of force when pushing it in

I’ve used quite a bit of force, and can get both sticks in and out of the other slot. However they do not fit into the second slot.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

You have to slide them all the way in and push them down. As you can see, for example, on the other pre-installed stick...

I know how to get them in and out, and can easily do it in the first slot. It is the second slot that doesn’t allow it to be pushed in any farther, though I don’t see anything blocking it upon closer inspection with a flashlight.

3 minutes ago, Seth Sanders said:

I’ve used quite a bit of force, and can get both sticks in and out of the other slot. However they do not fit into the second slot.

it looks like the slot is upside down, so it may be you have to lift the slot itself up

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Did you check the manual for installation procedure?

What model number is the laptop?

it looks like the slot is upside down, so it may be you have to lift the slot itself up

Yes I noticed that it looks different than the other slot. But I think they may just be two different models. They look slightly different from the sides too, in ways that aren’t just upside down.

image.jpg

Sadly I no longer have the manual, I’ve had the laptop for a while. And I believe the exact model is the HP Pavilion-E though I could be wrong. 

Just now, Seth Sanders said:

Sadly I no longer have the manual, I’ve had the laptop for a while. And I believe the exact model is the HP Pavilion-E though I could be wrong. 

it should say a model number on the under side

4 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop -15z-ec200

You have to put the stick in at about a 20-45 degree angle. With a little bit of force, it will slide in. Then you can push it down and it will lock into place.

Just now, Tommy10606 said:

You have to put the stick in at about a 20-45 degree angle. With a little bit of force, it will slide in. Then you can push it down and it will lock into place.

Again, it is not that I am unaware as to how to install DDR4 ram. I can take both sticks in and out of the other slot, it is that there’s an issue with this one. The ram stick won’t go far enough into the slot at said angle for me to push it down.

Here is a photo of the same ram stick in the working slot, before pushing it down. You can see how all of the gold plating is covered. A photo of it installed as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Seth Sanders said:

Again, it is not that I am unaware as to how to install DDR4 ram. I can take both sticks in and out of the other slot, it is that there’s an issue with this one. The ram stick won’t go far enough into the slot at said angle for me to push it down.

Have you tried to just snap it into place when pushed in as far as you got it?

Just now, Tegneren said:

Have you tried to just snap it into place when pushed in as far as you got it?

I have yes, it pushes downward slightly no matter how much force I exert, and eventually pops out.

Are you sure theres nothing in the slot, like dirt or something?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Are you sure theres nothing in the slot, like dirt or something?

I’ve looked extensively, the slot is perfectly clean. There doesn’t seem to be anything obstructing it, which is what confuses me most.

16 minutes ago, Seth Sanders said:

I’ve looked extensively, the slot is perfectly clean. There doesn’t seem to be anything obstructing it, which is what confuses me most.

From what I can find out there shouldn't be any special trick for that slot(see instruction video below).

It might just be the angle of the picture, but could this metal thing be blocking it?

image.png.96ba9c052a472497a8326e8123360b23.png

From what I can find out there shouldn't be any special trick for that slot(see instruction video below).

It might just be the angle, but could this metal thing be blocking it?

I’ll check, thanks for your help

2 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

It might just be the angle, but could this metal thing be blocking it?

haHA, ZERO clue what did it but it’s in now. I think there was something over there because I ram a toothpick over that spot and now it’s in. Thanks again man

Just now, Seth Sanders said:

haHA, ZERO clue what did it but it’s in now. I think there was something over there because I ram a toothpick over that spot and now it’s in. Thanks again man

Nice, well done. Mark your post as the answer so ppl that have the same problem and find this topic they know whats what. 😉 👍

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!