Dead Graphics Card GTX 1080

trace6x

I think my 1080 has failed, it lights up, but no fan spin and no output to monitor.

Nothing wrong with the rest of the computer, power supply or monitor (I've tried it in another machine), I suspect it might not be getting power from the power cables if the fans aren't spinning up but I have no idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's out of warranty, I think the last hope would be to try heating it up with a heatgun (like the oven method I've seen on Youtube).

Bad time to lose a gpu eh?

It was working before though right? You powered it up today and it seems dead? Can you confirm that the PCIe power cables are firmly connected to the GPU?

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

10 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

It was working before though right? You powered it up today and it seems dead? Can you confirm that the PCIe power cables are firmly connected to the GPU?

It was working before yes, but I had been experiencing crashing before it totally went. The PCIe power cable are definetly firmly connected, I've tried it in another machine also.

Assuming it's indeed dead and out of warranty, I'd consider sending it to RazorWind, he runs a a small YouTube channel where he does video card repairs. Can start by sending him an email, or post a topic on Hardforum and tag him since there a few other active electrical engineers on that board. Considering how difficult it is to source GPUs right now, a repair might be the most viable option.

Note that he doesn't do repairs as a business, it's a hobby:

I don't do it as a business, but on a few occasions I've had folks send me dead cards to see if I could get them working. Generally, the agreement is that I'll take as long as I need, make a thread or some Youtube videos about it, and not charge anything for labor. I've never had anyone send me a card as valuable as a 3080, though. It's usually old junk like 980 Tis or this 390 where the next step is the E-waste bin.

<snip>
It's just a hobby.

50 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Assuming it's indeed dead and out of warranty, I'd consider sending it to RazorWind, he runs a a small YouTube channel where he does video card repairs. Can start by sending him an email, or post a topic on Hardforum and tag him since there a few other active electrical engineers on that board. Considering how difficult it is to source GPUs right now, a repair might be the most viable option.

Note that he doesn't do repairs as a business, it's a hobby:

Brilliant! I'll definetly consider it seeing as I'm pretty sure I'm out of options.