Hp Pavilion Erica 2 motherboard

AceMVP8
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
2 hours ago, AceMVP8 said:

I appreciate it. Yeah it's a mini ATX. So I'm a newbie, what do you mean CPU support? I can't find the max speed anywhere but  thinking it's 2666 because that's what it came running. It originally only had 1 stick so I bought a matching stick. I just recently bought a new kit of g.skill Ripjaws 5 16gb (8×2) 3200 ddr4 cl 16,18,18, 38. The best I got them running was 3200 cl 18,18,18, 38,56 bit that's when I got the message from stability tests on Aida64 hardware failure. So yesterday I set them at 2666.

CPU support meaning the CPUs it will accept. A normal CPU support list for an H310 motherboard would say that all 8th and 9th-gen Intel Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7 and i9 processors are supported by the board. If HP were to license the same board and have it produced specifically for one of their systems, there's a good chance they'd lock it down to supporting only a couple of i3 SKUs, maybe an i5-9400 if you're lucky. If you ask, they'll tell you it's because they only test the hardware the system was designed for as a way of ensuring there are no compatibility issues. In truth, it's because they've locked down their BIOS so you can't buy the $699 system running an i3 and drop in an i7-9700, essentially bumping yourself up a few tiers in pricing for much less than buying the upgraded model would have cost.

Seriously, anyone and everyone who tries to tell others to buy an HP or Dell prebuilt and upgrade it themselves is playing Russian roulette. Sure, there are worse things in life than overpaying for an i3-based "gaming PC", but if you jump for joy because you found one open-box at Best Buy for $400 and can't wait to drop in the i5, GTX 1650 Super, 16GB of DDR4-3200 and WD Black NVMe drive you have lying around, odds are you're going to be disappointed when at least one of those ends up being incompatible.

I'm trying to find the specs on my motherboard. It's an Hp Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0018, ERICA 2 MOTHERBOARD. The reason I am trying to find out is because I bought a new kit of ram G.Skill Ripjaws 5 16 gb ddr4 3200 8×2 and I went into Ryzen Master and set the speed and fabric clock to 1600 Coupled mode of course and I ran a stability tests on Aida64 last night on memory and 10 minutes in it said hardware failure. I think it's because my ram settings on this motherboard. It's 3200 18cl,18,18, 38. When I'm in Ryzen master it says 3000 max. Is that the mother board settings or my Ryzen 5 3500 settings.

IMG_20210406_172152.jpg

Try it at 2133mhz to see if hardware errors come back. If it still does it at ddr4 base speed then it is most likely defective.

The R5 3600 is completely compatible with your memory. Being from HP, they likely sacrified RAM speed for a cheaper manufacturing cost. This is a motherboard limitation. The memory they slotted in there was probably 2666 MHz or something and they didn't want you to upgrade it yourself, bc that is how HP rolls. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Try setting it to the default speed of the RAM included with the system. If it doesn't work at that speed, I'd start troubleshooting as if you may have a defective stick. Also check the QVL and make sure that RAM is listed. If it works perfectly at stock speed and/or it's not on the QVL, I'd consider it more HP BIOS bullshittery to keep you from upgrading when you can just buy a perfectly more expensive PC instead.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Try it at 2133mhz to see if hardware errors come back. If it still does it at ddr4 base speed then it is most likely defective.

I have had it on 2133 as soon as I put it in and it ran great and it still runs great but I'm pretty sure it's the frequency. That motherboard is a piece of shit. In Ryzen master when I go to set the speed to 1600 on that line a notice pops up that the max is 3000. Do you know if that's through the processor or motherboard. I checked on the 3500 and it says it supports 3200 but I don't know about the motherboard and can't find it anywhere.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Try setting it to the default speed of the RAM included with the system. If it doesn't work at that speed, I'd start troubleshooting as if you may have a defective stick. Also check the QVL and make sure that RAM is listed. If it works perfectly at stock speed and/or it's not on the QVL, I'd consider it more HP BIOS bullshittery to keep you from upgrading when you can just buy a perfectly more expensive PC instead.

Yeah the ram that came with it ran at 2666. So I'm sure it's the motherboard and I can't find the frequency the motherboard supports. God-damned Hp

Yeah the ram that came with it ran at 2666. So I'm sure it's the motherboard and I can't find the frequency the motherboard supports. God-damned Hp

You should just sit down and read the HP service guides sometime. It'll be like:

Motherboard: MicroATX H310

CPU support: Intel i3-9100

And that's it. And you'd better believe it's telling the truth.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

15 hours ago, aisle9 said:

You should just sit down and read the HP service guides sometime. It'll be like:

Motherboard: MicroATX H310

CPU support: Intel i3-9100

And that's it. And you'd better believe it's telling the truth.

I appreciate it. Yeah it's a mini ATX. So I'm a newbie, what do you mean CPU support? I can't find the max speed anywhere but  thinking it's 2666 because that's what it came running. It originally only had 1 stick so I bought a matching stick. I just recently bought a new kit of g.skill Ripjaws 5 16gb (8×2) 3200 ddr4 cl 16,18,18, 38. The best I got them running was 3200 cl 18,18,18, 38,56 bit that's when I got the message from stability tests on Aida64 hardware failure. So yesterday I set them at 2666.

CPU support meaning the CPUs it will accept. A normal CPU support list for an H310 motherboard would say that all 8th and 9th-gen Intel Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7 and i9 processors are supported by the board. If HP were to license the same board and have it produced specifically for one of their systems, there's a good chance they'd lock it down to supporting only a couple of i3 SKUs, maybe an i5-9400 if you're lucky. If you ask, they'll tell you it's because they only test the hardware the system was designed for as a way of ensuring there are no compatibility issues. In truth, it's because they've locked down their BIOS so you can't buy the $699 system running an i3 and drop in an i7-9700, essentially bumping yourself up a few tiers in pricing for much less than buying the upgraded model would have cost.

Seriously, anyone and everyone who tries to tell others to buy an HP or Dell prebuilt and upgrade it themselves is playing Russian roulette. Sure, there are worse things in life than overpaying for an i3-based "gaming PC", but if you jump for joy because you found one open-box at Best Buy for $400 and can't wait to drop in the i5, GTX 1650 Super, 16GB of DDR4-3200 and WD Black NVMe drive you have lying around, odds are you're going to be disappointed when at least one of those ends up being incompatible.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Oh ok I understand now. I actually got my son this computer for Christmas. I don't think it's a bad computer for his 1st one. It has a Ryzen 5 3500, GTX 1650, I got him that g.skill Ripjaws 5 kit so it's in dual channel. Overall he's happy and he will never go back to consoles. Appreciate your input.