Will my Chia coin mining rig be profitable ?

Hi Guys. 

I have a system with a ryzen 3200g and 8 Gigs of RAM sitting around collecting dust. 

I thought about getting a 1TB Samsung 970 pro for 250€ for plotting and 8x 4TB barracudas for 99€ each. 

I used the Chia Mining calculator but i dont really belive in these Mining calculators...always tend to make you rich in 2 days 😂... So my question is If anyone here has already gone through all this and can give me an advice on If this system Could be profitable enough to start Mining professionally.

Thanks Guys for helping Out.

3 minutes ago, Illuminatus23 said:

I thought about getting a 1TB Samsung 970 pro for 250€ for plotting and 8x 4TB barracudas for 99€ each. 

Just saying, there are much better value drivs for these used.

Used enterprise drives will be cheaper with much higher endurance, and 8tb drives are cheaper per tb, and use less bays and power.

But your probably not gonna make much profit, but really depends. Also without pools its a lot of luck and waiting.

24 minutes ago, Illuminatus23 said:

Hi Guys

Maybe you want to have a look at this:

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

Thank you so much for that informative honest review. The amount of space taken up has , and will continue also - to increase exponentially. Its getting to gigantic spaces and times. This is only over a the last week. Definitely not green. Reminds me of a rat race. 

It was 2 Eib a week ago. Now approaching 5eib. Will be 6 by Sunday I think. 

Ok , "get in now" they say , but definitely not green at all. 

It will kill your drives in a month or 2, (if you don't follow his advice ), but you'll have to constantly add storage space to keep to the same change of " winning "... 

If anyone saw those YouTube videos of how all you need is 8tb to get a chia or 2 in a 3months  , well that required time is 1+ year now, and  In A few months will be 20+ years me think . (so "only" 8TB increases to requiring 24 TB to win chia in a few months )

These rates are correct over just 1 week. 

So chia , definitely not green or economic. 

(Unless they do something to reverse this crazy trend )

Thank you op & youtuber. Subscribed..

I don't think anyone can say how profitable your rig will be until Pools get released and the hashrate/storage used stabilizes. Right now, it's not stable at all, yesterday my PC was showing 3x the estimated time to win that it is showing today.

I currently have 3 computers going for Chia. I have my 4 bay Windows 2019 server going with 4x 3tb drives cached on a 256 GB NVME to PCIe and the temp is on the boot 512 SSD. I have 1 going on my rarely used 2012 Mac Pro tower with 3tb HDD + 512 boot SSD for temp. My Ryzen 5 gaming PC is running this while I am at work and over night and it has a 1tb HDD and a 512 boot SSD I am using for temp. I may I used https://chiacalculator.com/ to calculate my estimated payout although I am almost 100% certain it is incorrect. As of today, I'd be making close to $30 (in a monthly period) once the plotting was complete and once I start being entered into the chance to win. I fear by the time that happens, the $ amount will go down. However, I do not want to lose the opportunity to get in on another crypto. I lost the opportunity to get in on Bitcoin when it was at a decent price and now there are crypto kiosks that include Bitcoin (among a select others) all over my city. I haven't been "farming" all that long, but Only time will tell if my unused computers will be profitable or not.

Edited by matthewjbauer
fixing

I feel i am in the same boat as matthewjbauer, i can't miss out on another opportunity, have capped my investments so if i loose its ok, plus what i would do with the HDD the SSD sound like will be useless, i guess i could do something with them backup family photos and videos.... do film editing again...

Purchase 15k rpm sas drives and a lsi raid controller to raid 0 the SAS drives. *8 x 600gb drives gives you 4.6gb of capacity at the speed of 1.6gbs. Which is basically a M.2 SSD. But the think is that the SAS drives last FOREVER almost and will outlive the m.2 by 6 times.

That still doesn't deliver anywhere near the access times / IOPS of an SSD, but yeah it works OK for one simultaneous plot from some reports.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2