[Closed] Recommendations for DT 1990 Pro or similar

LuizSato

I'm thinking in getting an upgrade and move from a headset to a headphone.

I bought a new microphone so I don't think a headset is something I need to worry about and instead I started looking into headsets.

I was watching/reading a few audio forum/videos about good headsets and I came up with the DT 990 and 1990 and the Sennheiser HD 600 series. That being said I'm aware that the price difference is quite big between the 990 and the other two.

Does the DT 1990 is really that good? (Already looking in getting a amp in the future)

The word of mid to high tiers headphones are new to me

What are other headphones near that price range good? That are not amp required.

Does the DT 1990 Pro actually sound and build quality actually make up the price range they are in?

My currently setup is a SteelSeries arctis 7

PS: Is there a huge difference between sound quality between a open and close back?

4 hours ago, LuizSato said:

I'm thinking in getting an upgrade and move from a headset to a headphone.

I bought a new microphone so I don't think a headset is something I need to worry about and instead I started looking into headsets.

I was watching/reading a few audio forum/videos about good headsets and I came up with the DT 990 and 1990 and the Sennheiser HD 600 series. That being said I'm aware that the price difference is quite big between the 990 and the other two.

Does the DT 1990 is really that good? (Already looking in getting a amp in the future)

The word of mid to high tiers headphones are new to me

What are other headphones near that price range good? That are not amp required.

Does the DT 1990 Pro actually sound and build quality actually make up the price range they are in?

My currently setup is a SteelSeries arctis 7

PS: Is there a huge difference between sound quality between a open and close back?

I would say that the DT 1990 pros are a big upgrade in build but less in sound. Not tested the 1990's just what I've read and heard. The 990 pros are definitely good but there are far better options out there depending on your taste in sound etc because they are pretty harsh headphones when amped properly. The 990 pros NEED an amp in order to get the most out of them. Been there myself. I use the Sound Blaster AE-9 soundcard which is their top tier sound card. The HD 600 series is not worth it imho. Get sennheiser cans from drop.com instead. They have a pair of HD 58X which basically sound as good as the HD600 but far far cheaper and not really amp dependant. And the 6XX that emphazise more mid range instead of bass or treble and "requires" an amp. That being said. What music do you listen to and games, comp or casual or both?.

As you asked, any heaphone that isn't amp required. There are many headphones that aren't really amp dependant. I use the X2HR from Philips. They are 100dB @ 1mw and 32ohm. As a comparison the 990 pros are 96dB @ 1mw and 250ohm. The ohms don't play as of a huge role as the dB per mw does. Again. I said the HD 58X aren't that amp dependant. Why? Because they are 104dB and 150ohm meaning they are louder since the total resistance is lower. Just a basic and simple explenation.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

4 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

I would say that the DT 1990 pros are a big upgrade in build but less in sound. Not tested the 1990's just what I've read and heard. The 990 pros are definitely good but there are far better options out there depending on your taste in sound etc because they are pretty harsh headphones when amped properly. The 990 pros NEED an amp in order to get the most out of them. Been there myself. I use the Sound Blaster AE-9 soundcard which is their top tier sound card. The HD 600 series is not worth it imho. Get sennheiser cans from drop.com instead. They have a pair of HD 58X which basically sound as good as the HD600 but far far cheaper and not really amp dependant. And the 6XX that emphazise more mid range instead of bass or treble and "requires" an amp. That being said. What music do you listen to and games, comp or casual or both?.

As you asked, any heaphone that isn't amp required. There are many headphones that aren't really amp dependant. I use the X2HR from Philips. They are 100dB @ 1mw and 32ohm. As a comparison the 990 pros are 96dB @ 1mw and 250ohm. The ohms don't play as of a huge role as the dB per mw does. Again. I said the HD 58X aren't that amp dependant. Why? Because they are 104dB and 150ohm meaning they are louder since the total resistance is lower. Just a basic and simple explenation.

So I usually play game FPS games atm, like Tarkov and Squad, so you say that I don't play comp but I play games where sound awareness is something huge. As for music lofi, jazz, rock (my understanding is that those genres have more mids than highs)

Will take a look into the X2HR and the HD 58X, a long side the drop.com website

Thanks

The 1990 is excellent for gaming and critical listening music wise. This is not a headphone that is really that great for music enjoyment as it is sharp and if you listen to something badly produced it will easily expose the flaws in your music. The 1990 will really highlight the added grain in lodi and I actually really like the 1990 for jazz. As i does a great job bringing the detail and texture on brass and woodwind instruments.the headphone also has pretty good bass extension allowing drums to sound dynamic and great. Another headphone to look at is the sundara plays around the same level of detail with a similar neutral bright sound not as good as the 1990 for gaming but excellent for the music side of things. But as said you don't need to spend that much to get good sound. The fidelios is pretty good.  For the genres you like I think the 58x is an excellent reccomendation.

10 hours ago, rice guru said:

The 1990 is excellent for gaming and critical listening music wise. This is not a headphone that is really that great for music enjoyment as it is sharp and if you listen to something badly produced it will easily expose the flaws in your music. The 1990 will really highlight the added grain in lodi and I actually really like the 1990 for jazz. As i does a great job bringing the detail and texture on brass and woodwind instruments.the headphone also has pretty good bass extension allowing drums to sound dynamic and great. Another headphone to look at is the sundara plays around the same level of detail with a similar neutral bright sound not as good as the 1990 for gaming but excellent for the music side of things. But as said you don't need to spend that much to get good sound. The fidelios is pretty good.  For the genres you like I think the 58x is an excellent reccomendation.

Based on what you said it seems that you have the DT 1990 Pro. Nice to hear those that the DT 1990 will improve my lofi experience haha

Just one question, I noticed that the 990 have a entire section on the website for replacement parts, I wasn't able to find the same amount of replacement parts for the DT 1990... how easy it is to service? Or replace/repair stuff yourself?

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service-support/spare-parts 

The reason I added the 990 Pro is due to the fact that you can buy replacement screws in case you need one hahaha

27 minutes ago, LuizSato said:

Based on what you said it seems that you have the DT 1990 Pro. Nice to hear those that the DT 1990 will improve my lofi experience haha

Just one question, I noticed that the 990 have a entire section on the website for replacement parts, I wasn't able to find the same amount of replacement parts for the DT 1990... how easy it is to service? Or replace/repair stuff yourself?

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service-support/spare-parts 

The reason I added the 990 Pro is due to the fact that you can buy replacement screws in case you need one hahaha

tehe 1990 is newer and yes doesnt have as many replacement parts as the 990. . I do not own the 1990 sadly instead I own the 990.the 1990 is something I would personally like to have in the collection though for the future

• 1 month later...

Just want to thank you everyone here.

After a few lookups and every information I got I decided to go for the DT 1990 Pro.

I got them a few weeks ago, and I want to say that even without the DAC, the sound quality is way better than the ones I had, was listening to some music back and forth and I noticed the mids are on another level!

Cannot wait for my DAC to arrive so I can have the full quality haha