Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Router and Home network Help / Tips

So I was letting YouTube play in the background and the Everything else is BAD Chormecast video was playing. While researching best tool upgrades for my home tools (wanting to go brushless Milwaukee for anyone who cares) I overheard him say "Who uses the one from their ISP?!?"  Apparently Riley, and me. When I lived alone in a basement suite I had the modem/router from Shaw right next to my PC and the WiFi easily covered my entire living space. So I never considered a separate router. But my girlfriend and I just bought a house and now I'm curious.

Anyways, I was thinking, back in the day ISP's only had the modem, maybe 4 ports and no WiFi support so running a router was pretty common. But when ISP's started including WiFi and making the modem/router bigger (but I guess not better) I just figured they were good enough.

So here's my sit-um-uh-wation. I have a 2500sq/ft house over two levels. When I was looking through the house (if I'm even remembering the house correctly... there were so many houses) the existing router was in the garage, of all places. I have Shaw fibre 300 and their supplied little pod looking modem/router with 2 ports and WiFi. Obviously when we get possession of the house on June 1st, one of my first orders of buisness is getting the fibre line moved somewhere more central, either upstairs in the living room, or downstairs in the main TV room. Probably the latter. Is there a better place to have the fibre line ran to for other router options?

What would you recommend I get for acceptable WiFi coverage? Number of ports isn't a huge concern, I'm imagining the current minimum is 4. I don't have a yuuuggee budget but I could probably throw $100-$150 right now and another $100-$150 and beyond in a month or two after I've finished a plethora of home improvements.

Devices currently used;
LG nano90 Smart TV (wireless) Nintendo Switch (wireless) Playstation 4 (wireless) that is just our glorified DVD player. Two semi-modern cell phones. 1 PC (wired) and two laptops (wireless).

A mesh wifi system would probably be best for you, but I don't know of any if your budget. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

1 minute ago, Gix7Fifty said:

A mesh wifi system would probably be best for you, but I don't know of any if your budget. 

Well point me in the right direction so I can look into it more. I can be flexible but I'd rather start off cheap for the moment while I prioritize other projects.

@SiriuslyAndrew Orbi (mine), eero (buddy has it), google nest to name a few.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

I'd say the router is fine enough for your usage, but you need an additional AP to extend your wireless capabilities. I usually recommend Ubiquiti as they have a good balance of features and complexity for consumers, tho it does have some additional gotchas, such as needing to run controller (doesn't have to run all the time, unless you run captive portal or some other specific features).

Extending the fibre line to get better placement for router and thereby better WiFi is quite a lot of work and can get very fast very costly.

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | AMD Wraith Prism | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus Prime X570 Pro | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 4x 3 TB + 2 TB WD Red/Seagate/Toshiba  | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.8.3

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

<-- Moved to Networking -->

PSU Tier List Thread

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

"White Ice"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-16-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 hours ago, SiriuslyAndrew said:

Shaw fibre 300

Its seem Shaw is a cable provider using the Docsis standard. Great this makes things easier.

You need to decide if you're going to replace the ISP box or if you're going to use it in bridge mode (Modem only mode). Replacing it is kinda up to your ISP. Im not sure what the policy on customer owned equipment is in Canada. Here in the US we are allowed due to FCC mandate, at least with Coax based internet. 

the fibre line moved somewhere more central

Because they use Coax it should be pretty easy to "Move the line". HOWEVER, if you put their box in bridge mode and use it as just a modem, you just need to run an Ethernet cable to the router. SO theoretically you could just leave the line where it is and run an Ethernet to a central location. 

ell point me in the right direction so I can look into it more. I can be flexible but I'd rather start off cheap for the moment while I prioritize other projects.

Besides the ones mentioned you could also look at ASUS. I know a bunch of their routers support the AI mesh system, meaning you can mix and match ASUS routers and create a mesh network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You need to decide if you're going to replace the ISP box or if you're going to use it in bridge mode (Modem only mode). Replacing it is kinda up to your ISP. Im not sure what the policy on customer owned equipment is in Canada. Here in the US we are allowed due to FCC mandate, at least with Coax based internet. 

I've never looked into getting a different ISP box, I usually just disabled their WiFi and then hook up my own router. 

Speaking of bridge mode, that seems like the simplest option available to me at the moment. The Google nest bundle seems like a convenient option for me, Google already knows me intimately so I don't mind having more of their stuff listening to my bizzare conversations.

So what's the big negative to the ISP provided equipment? Why does everyone say to get away from it?

6 hours ago, SiriuslyAndrew said:

So what's the big negative to the ISP provided equipment? Why does everyone say to get away from it?

My ISP charges $13 a month for, $25 if you want unlimited data. They also have back door access in to the device/network. I know Comcast can tell what's hooked up to the gateway, and other details of your network. Thats why I choose to use my own equipment. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.