What is slowing down our home network?

TashaTime

We have 20 devices connected to our network between the 4 of us. The router is a RT-AX3000. Every switch is the cheapest one I could buy rated for a gigabit. The cables the do the long runs in the house are CAT 5e. We have gigabit internet but are not getting those speeds. I think everything is rated for a gigabit but I usually get 100 megabit/s down in the basement by the router wired. I can get 200 over wifi. Some people upstairs are getting slower speed. Up a floor people are getting less speed. And up two floors somehow my brother keeps getting sub 10 m/bit speeds over wired. I replaced the ethernet cable to the wall and the nic but still nothing. wifi too but wired is the strange one. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite access point on the middle floor for more coverage but it isn't enough. The wifi speeds near the access point are only 50-100. What do you think if the bottle neck in all this? Should I be testing file transfer speed instead of internet speed?

2 hours ago, TashaTime said:

RT-AX3000

I cant find the info on this router. BUT many routers just simply cant do Gigabit Internet. The issue is they dont have enough CPU horse power to handle NAT at Gigabit speeds. Though the low speeds you are getting are kinda making me think you might have an issue else where. Possibly your ISP is having issues. 

What kind of Internet do you have? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@TashaTime

You need to be more specific with the information you provide.

1. Is the wireless router the Asus RT-X58U?
  2. What is the make and model of all switches?
  3. What's the integrity of all of your ethernet cables?
  4. When setups are this complicated, diagrams are worth much more than words. Try it.

In most instances, when you're seeing these kinds of speeds, it's usually a cable issue and/or switch issue.

And yes, if the problem is on the LAN side, ideally you'd need to measure LAN-side speeds.

1 hour ago, TashaTime said:

But when you talk about integrity should I get a tester?

That’s the objective way of doing it. But you don’t necessarily need to get one if you inspect the cables yourself for damage, sharp bends, exposed pairs prior to RJ45 termination, etc.

1 hour ago, TashaTime said:

what tool should I use to make a network diagram?

Nothing complicated: pencil and paper.

• 2 weeks later...

okay I've got a network diagram. One switch is missing due to being very inaccessible but I don't think it is important. It just goes to the TV upstairs and streaming stuff. No complaints there.  I hope you can read my hand writing. We have one bad outlet I found with a tester. Nathan's PC is slow (internet wise), but it is perplexing me. I have changed the Ethernet cabler, the NIC, and now the connection through the wall has been tested all 8 lights are green.
router: Asus rt-AX3000 (wifi 6)
switches:Tp-link TL-SG116 (16 port) 

8 port TL-SG1008D

mystery switch

TP link SG1005D

extra access point: ubiquity AP-AC lite 

I've noticed some 100's in names does that mean they are only 100 m/bit I thought when I bought one of them it was gigabit
Do I need to map every single port? I got the basic down today.

2021-05-22 23-47_page_1.jpg

Also, when the  the emitter is upstairs one of the lights doesn't light up on the female connecter in the wall. When the emitter was near the switch in the basement all the light lit up. Doesn't that mean the wall outlet is bad or the male end that goes in the switch.