M.2 speeds x3 vs x4

dailith

Hello all. I'm sure this has been asked already, but I'm looking into upgrading my m.2 to a bigger size. The current x3 (200 usd) are rated on average of 3500 read and 3000 write. The x4 (400 usd) are on average are 7000 read and 6000 write. Now obviously that's a big number. But I'm just gaming on these drives. Do I really need that massive speed difference? 

I currently have a adata at 3500 read and 3000 write. 

Ryzen 5800x

Rtx 3070 gigabyte

32gb of ram

Gigabyte aorus x570 master

4 minutes ago, dailith said:

But I'm just gaming on these drives. Do I really need that massive speed difference?

Not at all.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

never need for general usage.

gen 3 is completely okey.

There might be some benefit to gen 4, but for most you are not going to see it yet.

Not at all, with a caveat: it's coming. DirectX 12 DirectStorage is due for developer preview this summer, so especially with new console games being designed with fast storage in mind, expect developers to jump on this quick, particularly if they're bringing games to both console and PC. It might be another year or two, but then NVMe will finally matter for PC gaming.

That said, DirectStorage will actually let PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs in on the fun as well, so it remains to be seen just how much having and an actual PCIe 4.0 drive will matter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse