Deshrouding a RTX 2070? Help/thoughts wanted.

Ency

Hey, I've been having a very nasty buzzing issue that's the result of a GPU shroud rattling around under high fan RPM, tried screwing the screws in better, tried duct taping it with electrical tape (the problem went away when I pinched the top and bottom shroud with my fingers so figured why not emulate that all the time with electrical tape) and it always works for a day and then starts rattling again, TL;DR I'm heavily leaning into deshrouding the thing.

My question is, has anyone ever deshrouded a Gigabyte RTX 2070, and does anyone have any experience with deshrouding a GPU in general?

I'm mainly worried how I would set up fans if it turns out that fans are attached to the shroud instead of the sink itself, I've seen people using zipties to secure them in place, some were lucky to have holes on the sink itself to attach fans to, but my main worry is in case i have to use custom fans, how would I control their spin? Would GPU get too hot with just CPU dictating fan rotation via PWM PST fan control?

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!

Just now, Ency said:

Hey, I've been having a very nasty buzzing issue that's the result of a GPU shroud rattling around under high fan RPM, tried screwing the screws in better, tried duct taping it with electrical tape (the problem went away when I pinched the top and bottom shroud with my fingers so figured why not emulate that all the time with electrical tape) and it always works for a day and then starts rattling again, TL;DR I'm heavily leaning into deshrouding the thing.

My question is, has anyone ever deshrouded a Gigabyte RTX 2070, and does anyone have any experience with deshrouding a GPU in general?

I'm mainly worried how I would set up fans if it turns out that fans are attached to the shroud instead of the sink itself, I've seen people using zipties to secure them in place, some were lucky to have holes on the sink itself to attach fans to, but my main worry is in case i have to use custom fans, how would I control their spin? Would GPU get too hot with just CPU dictating fan rotation via PWM PST fan control?

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!

Warranty on Gigabyte cards is 3 years. If you bought it within around 3 years I'd recommend getting in touch with gigabyte support. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

if not under warranty, maybe a tiny bit of hot glue will keep it from rattling?

12 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Warranty on Gigabyte cards is 3 years. If you bought it within around 3 years I'd recommend getting in touch with gigabyte support. 

Ain't nobody got time for RMA'ing in a situation where GPU's are scarce 😄

11 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

if not under warranty, maybe a tiny bit of hot glue will keep it from rattling?

I fixed it apparently. Deshrouded it. Or well, kept the front shroud with fans but removed the backplate which did most of the rattling, now it only does a very loud buzz when fans go from 0-500 to 2100 RPM but is otherwise not rattling.